1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

FATHOM Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Huntresses Attack Monsters!' started by Legendary Sidekick, May 14, 2018.

1. Legendary Sidekick

Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

Botted Wynry since she already figured out how to stop the demons.

No samurai died—one came close! Congrats!

–3 HP to those who failed DEF rolls (unless you still had "OK" status, in which case no HP loss). Will check HP later, but Samurai HP is same as what I posted before.

2. Legendary Sidekick

Added def rolls. The lesson: don't let me bot you. My rolls suck. Wynry had her free hit; otherwise, the beam would have taken her down. Suny has 2hp.

OK status will come back, and depending on your next move, you may get to heal before the next fight.

Hint: smashing Wynry's wall is a very bad idea! You are almost guaranteed to lose if you let the remaining 367 demons in (199 died) and one more attack would very likely kill a samurai or three. I'm surprised they all lived, actually!

3. Legendary Sidekick

Been crazily busy on card game art. As of July 30th, I made my first deadline: complete all Fairy art (Heroine Deck).

I was going to work on a second player, but decided to do research (found a decent/reputable/cheap printer) and card-back design. The six backs that feature the three virgin goddesses are complete, but I'll hold off on showing card art until the demo is ready. (2019) But I figured I could show you the goddesses for now:

[​IMG]

The Greenhorn Huntress is a more earthly goddess, clad in a tunic and crowned in stag horns. She plays favorites, only bestowing gifts to the nymph and the fairy. (Based on Artemis.)

The Warrior Princess is armored but not clothed. Her feminine form is too pure to be seen, and her masculine pose makes one wonder if she's actually a guy wearing Spandex two sizes small. (Based on Athena.)

The Colossal Goddess wears nail polish and is too big to fit on the back of a card. She is a mysterious titaness whose gift of fire heals rather than harms. (Based on Hestia.)

4. Legendary Sidekick

Well... I'll show you the injury card I made because I think it's funny. Need to test print before I commit, but...

[​IMG]

5. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

That (comparatively) teeny band-aid!! I love it! :D

6. Legendary Sidekick

I had to make it look like the GM/goddess is on your side, so that's what popped into my head. I blame your country for this silliness, since that's where I was when I thought of this!

Ireth likes this.
  7. Corwynn

Corwynn Troubadour

Yes, this country can be a silly place, especially my corner of it.

Sorry for not responding earlier. It's been an insane weekend. I'll have fewer delays come September once I'm back at school and have more time to myself.

8. Legendary Sidekick

No biggie. I figured you would do another wall, since the last one worked, and pretty much put the enemy in check. (Checkmate being the second wall going up.)

9. Legendary Sidekick

OK... showing one more card back. Easy/Medium/Hard monsters, and blue is Sea Monsters. Between yellow (med) and red (hard) monsters in terms of strength, but they can also sink your ship... there's a mechanic for "failing to protect" (NPCs or your ship). Until I play-test, I actually am not sure if that makes them easier or harder than stronger monsters.

[​IMG]

I'm picturing the Dilbert boss saying "work smarter, not harder." Happy with the card back. It took very little time/effort/thought, and I got lazy on the upper-left scales since I was planning to fade and shadow that part.

All card backs are done (August deadline met!!!) except heroines, assuming I stick with the goddess design on the other card-backs.

Ireth likes this.
  10. Legendary Sidekick

Suny and Wynry's combined roll was enough to save all of the samurai.

Kikuchiyo was the only one strong enough to make it without needing to roll. Of the rest, only Kyuzo, Heihachi and anyone with full HP had favorable odds. The captain and Katsu would have died without magical aid. (This is all based on my impression of their physical strength from the Seven Samurai movie. Ironically, Kikuchiyo, Kyuzo and Heihachi died in the movie. Gorobei was the other dead.)

The roll (6) was just enough that I didn't need to roll for the samurai. I just applied the underwater breathing to the 6 men who would either possibly drown or definitely drown.

You can assume that there will be one more battle before Episode #2. What that battle is depends on your choice.

1) You can offer to hunt down the summoner, as Kitty asked. He will be the "boss."

2) You can refuse, forcing Kitty to take on a human-like form and deal with him herself. This would negate your need to fight the boss, and it wouldn't necessarily be the "wrong" choice. But there is a reason you would end up with an alternate battle that you would avoid with choice #1. (And no, it would not be a PO'd Kitty—she won't take a "no" THAT personally!)

11. Peebothuhlu

Peebothuhlu Troubadour

Sorry for lack of posting.

WInter and shift work sapping things here. :(

Will try to add something, though current shifts aren't helping.

12. Legendary Sidekick

No biggie. I start my new job tomorrow and need to leave my house at about 6 AM due to the commute. (Teacher, so even s close-to-home job meant leaving at 6:45.)

Real life is the priority. Suny's fun to have around, so whenever work is less hectic, feel free to jump in.

Will add one more in-game bit on what hunting down the summoner might look like.

13. Legendary Sidekick

On second thought, no I won't.

OoC version:
    You're basically at the base of a volcano at the southernmost part of the island. You can go UP or NORTH. Going up would either be inside the volcano or outside.

North would eventually lead to branching paths, but for simplicity's sake, you could take the east road while the leviathan swims west side to the docks. The other way around is just as valid, but...

What I decided not to post was a conversation among samurai opining WHY the summoner would be "up" or "north." The (never-posted) post was problematic because one side was more compelling than the other, almost to the point I felt like I was asking, hey players, you wanna go the right way or the dumb way?

14. Corwynn

Corwynn Troubadour

Hey everyone, just so you know, I won't be able to respond for a couple of days, since I'll be travelling all day on Monday, and getting ready the day before. The good news is that once I'm home, I should have fewer distractions, and I'll be able to post more frequently.

Legendary Sidekick likes this.
  15. Legendary Sidekick

Enjoy your travels!

I just started a new job this past week, so GM posts will probably come up after school hours (on weekdays).

16. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

I just remembered Einin doesn't actually have fingertips... so the fairy dust was probably on her wingtip instead. Doesn't change my post at all.

17. Legendary Sidekick

Whoops... I uh, knew that. I was, um... just testing you.

And am editing my bit!

18. Legendary Sidekick

Yeesh... I typed finger twice WHILE mentally picturing a three-limbed fairy talking to a no-armed bird woman. I mean, I'm visualizing all these missing parts and typing fingertips.

Ireth likes this.
  19. Legendary Sidekick

Looks like I had to change the image for one of the girls' outfits. I'm trying to avoid images of clothing with models, since I'd feel kinda weird showing some girl's image—especially if it's a child—to help with visuals for an RPG. Showing characters from a movie somehow seems okay, maybe because the actors are depicting characters that are similar to the NPCs. So yeah... I'll admit I'm basically self-imposing a double standard.

I think the next EininEinin or SunySuny post can group those two players together. Wynry can easily find them whenever she's ready, but she might choose to take a closer look at the soldiers' uniforms on her own first, so I'll wait for CorwynnCorwynn's next post rather than guess/assume Wynry's next action.

20. Legendary Sidekick

Good ol' Suny—her profound words of wisdom obscured by a mouthful of cake!

Also, if you know where to buy them, red bean cakes really are delicious!