FATHOM Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Huntresses Attack Monsters!' started by Legendary Sidekick, May 14, 2018.

1. Legendary Sidekick

Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

You can always replace attachments, and eventually you get more than one, so you can also add without replacing.

I'm working on a magic post, which is extensive. Each post will focus on two heroines at a time. The Huntress will actually be featured in two of the posts, whereas the Monstress is non-magic. (1 die is what you roll if forced to defend.)

I was working on Fairy/Oceanid while waiting to meet my new colleagues, but need to stop for now. Meeting happens in a few minutes.

Devor likes this.
  2. Corwynn

Corwynn Master

Still working on which character to play. I'm thinking either Fairy or Huntress.

Also, I'd like to let you know, none of the images posted on this site are loading correctly for me. It must be different for everybody else, since nobody seems to have noticed this. So, if you want me to know what anyone or anything looks like, you'll have to give me a written description or an offsite link.

Legendary Sidekick likes this.
  3. Legendary Sidekick

Aw, man... I just changed the viewing permissions to "everyone." I don't know if that will help.

So, just in case...

Fairy: 3" tall w/ sparkly wings drawn flitting about inside a treasure chest and discovering a bow just her size.
    Amazon: 6'9" tall w/ woad paint, shown dual wielding broadswords and simultaneously stabbing the upper and lower jaw of a monster while using her muscular legs to keep he jaw pried open.
    Tin Maiden: made of metal with (stylish) copper wire hair and using a rocket booster to deliver a flaming kick to an abominable end-boss known as the Snowball From Hell.
    Huntress: wearing furs and hides and bone jewelry but not shoes, shown caught in a snare trap and dropping Shock Traps on minions who work for The Frog Prince of Darkness.
    Oceanid: a beautiful maiden who is clearly magical because she's wearing a dress made of the sea, complete with seaweed undies and sea creatures who are swimming around in the Flowing Gown because it's really hard to cast Flowing Gown without catching fish in your dress. On the upside, casting Flowing Gown is a very efficient way to catch fish.
    Monstress: she can look like any half-woman, half-animal you want her to look like, and her movement abilities will match the animal. Example: a kentauride can move as fast as a horse, and like a horse, she can carry a rider and pull a cart. The Monstress I drew is some kind of aquatic monstress tearing through the tentacles of Octulus, the giant eight-eyed octopus.

4. Legendary Sidekick

So far, no one has contemplated the same heroine!

PB = Oceanid
    Orc Knight = Amazon or Monstress
    Devor = Tin Maiden
    Corwynn = Fairy or Huntress

5. Legendary Sidekick

Devor, I came up with an attachment for each element + sonic. If you wanted something like an "electromagnetic doodad" that lets you use metal objects as a projectile (like Darth Vader in Empire Strikes Back, bonking Luke with metal objects), that would be fine, too. The list is a guideline, not like "you must choose exactly these five things."

Devor likes this.
  6. Peebothuhlu

Peebothuhlu Journeyman

Yay! (^_^)

7. Devor

Devor Fiery Keeper of the Hat Moderator

I'm looking at the Earth Crunchers. I think some background in mining sounds like a fun fit.

If I was going off-list I would be looking at Wind, some kind of vacuum blower device. I think I'd save that for a second attachment in the future, though.

8. Legendary Sidekick

Funny, I originally planned to make a wild-west-themed game in which the Keledones (Golden Maidens) were forced to mine. This fits in with that theme quite nicely.

Also, digging + wind = Dig Dug

9. Legendary Sidekick

I probably shouldn't be, but I am rather pleased with this scale I just made up:

0 wtf... it fails epically
    1-2 meh... it might do a half-baked version of what you tried to accomplish
    3-5 yay... it will do exactly what you expect it to do
    6-9 wow... it does something unexpected
    10+ ftw... it does way more than anyone could ever have predicted

It's for the Huntress and Amazon magic rolls, so you're really lucky if you roll 6 successes. A 10 may never happen, though a player did score a 13 with 3 dice. The combo system will make sense after a couple battles.

10. Legendary Sidekick

Okay... I basically finished the magic system. One thing I did for fun because I had the art for it already... check out the Twinkle Star rip-off parody under "Mood Wings," on the Fairy Magic page. Each color links to artwork of a moody Fairy!

11. Ban

Ban Staff Article Team

On that note I will say that this all looks awesome, and the arrtwork is wonderful. I can't join sadly, but I'll still check out the thread from time to time.

12. Devor

Okay, so I'm definitely doing the Tin Maiden with the earth attachment.

No rush, no pressure, it can wait a week or two to get this all figured out, but to develop the character do we have any info about the setting? What are the limits on the MC's background?

13. Legendary Sidekick

I'm working on a background post, but here's a quick note on the Tin Maiden:

If your Earth Crunchers are for mining (as in you have a job--not that you get money for it), then you know that iron and bronze are in demand. You are mining for iron, but are encouraged to go to other sites on occasion to dig up precious stones.

You have this vast database in your brain, and the word "bronze" makes you curious. Bronze is made of copper and tin, according to the same entry that says that lead and paint make gold. (Think Wikipedia. Tons of info, but...) Your database also tells of a Copper Maiden. If the two of you meet, maybe you'll be melted down to make bronze. Maybe the demand for iron is why the Iron Maiden was melted down.

You seem to be the only maiden who works the mines in Arcadia. That is, the only metal person AND the rest of the staff is male. There are human men, satyrs and short guys that are either called elves, dwarves, leprechauns or wieners. Your database has conflicting information, and words the human men use to describe the elves/dwarves/leprechauns/wieners are heard as a bleep which you understand to mean "term unfit for a lady."

Is that enough for you to run with? (And you can take a little poetic license if any of that doesn't work for you. / Spoiler: you're not made of tin, but think you are.)

Devor likes this.
  14. Devor

I can work with that. :)

15. Legendary Sidekick

Cool. I made that the official story for the Tin Maiden since, well, you're the only Tin Maiden on Game-Start Island Arcadia.

EDIT - Sooooo tempting to go that far. First episode takes place on Gamestart Island. Next episode, we go Level Twoville, and the whole eight-year-long game concludes atop Mt. Endbossia!

I won't, but that's not the same as I wouldn't.

Devor likes this.
  16. Devor

Cool. I'll put together some character details for my Tin Maiden in a day or two.

Hopefully we get a couple more players joining in!

17. Legendary Sidekick

I don't do "explicit" well, so what I did instead is write four stories about what each of the six heroine types might have experienced. The stories give you a rough idea about how some races were born and where they fit in society.

18. Legendary Sidekick

Got one character up, Tin Maiden's on her way, and I'm guessing it's still Amazon or Monstress for Orc Knight, and Fairy or Huntress for Corwynn.

I'm gonna get the tutorial thread up soon. Players who are ready can converse in-game a bit. Players who are finalizing their heroines can jump in when they're ready. Don't worry too much about spell limits and all that--it's just to give a rough idea of how things work. I'm thinking any attack--fight, shoot or magic--can harm or hinder, as long as it makes sense to have the capability. Examples: an Amazon can hinder with FIGHT by grappling; an Arachne can hinder with SHOOT by web-slinging.

I like to set the scene with music. I don't expect you to watch the videos, but simply let the music play. I went out of my way to find weird stuff, so if you watch like 30 seconds you'll either see something thematic or weirdness that is hopefully amusing and not upsetting. The boss music is from a band I just discovered by accident, but the song I discovered is appropriate for what I have planned and the sound works as boss music. I'll start the post now, but will probably get interrupted and continue tomorrow.

EDIT - Once we get the rolz.org stuff figured out, NPCs won't say immersion-killing things like "scroll down" and "don't tell me your password." For now, I'm aiming for clarity while introducing your NPC guide (for the tutorial).

19. Peebothuhlu

Peebothuhlu Journeyman

Suny

(>_>)

(<_<)

Where's all'a converse happenin', like?

Does we has ta' be catchin' it first?

20. Peebothuhlu

Peebothuhlu Journeyman

Suny:

*Peeks in*

Okeys.. I'm a gone test sumit....

(>_>)

(<_<)

:(

I is gettin' words sayin' I is in't-appropriate.

:(

*Ponders some more*

Hmmm... okeys.. lets try this...

ARGH!

I in't got all'a me things ticked off... An' is a right tickin' me off, t'boot!

I need freindin' an', an'...um.. other stuffs afore I can be postin' linkys an' stuffs......