1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

FATHOM #Zero - The Boring Boar of Hyperborea

Discussion in 'Huntresses Attack Monsters!' started by Legendary Sidekick, May 18, 2018.

1. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Einin blinks as the tree falls, in a way that's distinctly off, and tilts her head at the even odder sound it makes as it falls. "Well, that is not normal. Trees shouldn't fall like that!" She turns to the others. "Did you see that?"

2. Peebothuhlu

Peebothuhlu Troubadour

Suny:

"Thank'e muchly"
    Suny responds to Addison as she's helped up. Looking over Addison's shoulder Suny tilts her blond mop.

"Uuhhh... is trees s'posed ta' fall down in'a forest an'.. make funny noises if'n people's is about ta' hear 'em?" The tanned lass asks... seeming completely puzzled by what's happening.

3. Legendary Sidekick

Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

Addison Lane
    "It's me pleasure," Addy replies to the grateful nymph.

As to what Einin and Suny ask about the tree, Addy says with a shrug, "Can't claim I know what's down with that. Me amazon friend's out with a group o' knights and wizards. I guess they went to Fancylad School where they teach learned men which way trees're supposed to fall.

"When I politely asked one o' the greybreads for a li'l insight, I was told we're to stick to the hunt. Then I told him where to stick...

"Ehh, don't matter what I said. I'm pretty sure the fancylads're clueless."

4. Peebothuhlu

Peebothuhlu Troubadour

Suny:

"Ah. Okeys!" Suny rpelies brightly, even as she spins abdout and skips off in the direction that every one had been travelling in before...

(^_^)

5. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Einin is still looking at where the tree fell. "I think we should at least have a look over there. Trees falling the wrong way seems important."

6. Peebothuhlu

Peebothuhlu Troubadour

Suny:

Suny pauses at Einin's call. Turning to look up at the feathered lass. Suny points to Addison.

"Addy said t' weren't nuffin'...." She tilts her blond mop now seeming confused again. She shakes her head.

"I in't never seen a tree fall'd over on'a land a'fore. They is all different to tha' trees we got back at home."

7. Legendary Sidekick

Addison Lane

Addy notes the nymph's eagerness to hunt and the owl-girl's urge to investigate.

She says, "The direction ye're looking at ain't far off from the hunting grounds. But the others who've yet to arrive need a means o' finding you early birds.

"And the means're closer than ye think."

Addy knocks on the large tree known as Lady Sardis.

Though the tree is clearly alive, a section along the trunk has been partially hollowed out. You had no way of knowing that before, but find out now as a tiny round door—about 4" in diameter—opens at about eye level.

There is a pink glow as the door opens. Addy averts her eyes as the glow fades to gold. A person stands her full height on the opening with headroom to spare.

The Fairy is wearing a dress made of a single leaf with a fine vine as a belt. She is well tanned with dark hair poking out from her inch-long hat—which is quite a hat on a three-inch person. Her wings are pink like cherry blossoms.

With her is another fairy, white-winged with golden hair and a white and gold dress that is made of actual gold.

Addy introduces the leaf-girl as, "Hanako, me longtime sidekick," and the golden one as "Nissa, the Amazon Princess' handmaiden."

((Note to players who have yet to post: the fairies are an in-game means to just pop into the area when you're ready to post, if the party starts moving.))

Addy asks her sidekick, "Ye get them Fairy Rings charged up like I asked?"

"Yes, Pumpkin Head," Hanako replies. "I have all three fill to brim with many fairy magic."

8. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Einin looks back at Addison when she speaks, and her dark eyes widen at the sight of the door in the tree. She lands and moves to look closer, smiling at the two fairies. "Hello!"

9. Legendary Sidekick

The Fairies
    Nissa gets a good look at Einin's talons, and instinctively zips back into the tree.

Hanako flutters out and hovers at eye level, about a foot and a half away from Einin's right eye.

The wings are a glittering blur, and it seems like the fairy floss them without any effort, as if her wings just to their thing while her tiny human-ish body dangles from invisible puppet strings.

"Is nice to meet you, Feather Duster," Hanako says.

Nissa peeks out and says, "Don't mind Hanako. She's bad with names, so she makes them up."

Addison introduces Einin and Suny to the fairies by name.

Hanako then turns to Suny. "Your name is like Sun and you are like Sun. I call you Sun-Sheen. Is like Sunshine, but Sheen mean 'is true.'"

((The word is Japanese 'shin' [真], not English 'sheen.' Unimportant, but true.))

Addison Lane
    Addy tells the fairies, "We're gonna head out. Nissa, you stay here with the blue Fairy Rings; Hanako, take the orange and come with me."

Hanako zips into the tree, then back out. The orange rings are bigger than the Fairy, and only a half inch smaller in diameter than the round door. Carrying three rings at once is awkward considering her hand is half the size of your littlest fingernail. Yet, she seems to have no trouble with the weight of the mysterious metal rings.

Nissa lays out three blue rings a few feet away from the tree.

Addy seems satisfied. "We can head out now. The others'll have no problem catching up."

10. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Einin laughs at the nickname. "Feather Duster, that's cute. I like that!"

She watches curiously as the fairies bring out rings of two colors. "What are those for?"

11. Legendary Sidekick

Hanako
    As Addy dons a backpack full of weapons and contraptions, Hanako flutters between the unencumbered heroines.

"These are Exit Fairy Ring," she says of the orange rings. She then points out the blue rings Nissa has laid out on the ground, each six feet away from each other and/or the tree and/or any other obstacle. "Shoulder Angel have Entrance Fairy Ring. You leave early is no problem for other huntress. They step in blue, come out of orange. Nissa and I use Fairy Magic!

"I think one of your huntress companion is fairy. Is very easy for her to travel through Fairy Ring. Other two are big like you, or maybe even bigger. Ring is... flexible. I am pretty sure Kentauride can get through. Not so sure about bigger person than that, but never know unless you try, right?"

12. Legendary Sidekick

((Combat tutorial begins soon...))

Addison leads Suny toward the hunting ground, taking a slight detour toward the fallen tree. Hanako flies alongside Einen, and the two from the air are the first to see it—

—a gaping hole in the earth about ten feet wide.

It only goes down about five feet however. When Hanako flies into the hole, her luminous body reveals that, five feet down from the surface, is the treetop and several broken branches and chunks of jagged wood. A downward climb through that mess would be impossible for anyone larger than a fairy.

"Don't even think o' climbing down there," Addy says to the fairy. "Anything happens to ye, none of us can help."

Hanako flutters back until she is no longer over the hole. As the fairy flies back, Suny and Einin both notice small cracks forming a trail that leads away from the hole.

While looking in that direction, there is another tremor—far enough away that none of our heroines lose their footing. A distant tree drops sinks toward the ground, then remains awkwardly planted with a slight tilt, appearing to be half as tall as the trees around it. Another tree teeters over and falls the way trees normally do.

13. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Einin peers down into the hole and shudders. "I don't like the look of that." She looks over as another tree falls oddly. "Or that." Her body doesn't move, but her head rotates further than a human's should -- much like an owl's does, in fact -- as she looks back at Addison. "What do you think's causing it?"

14. Legendary Sidekick

Addison Lane

Addy stares into the distance.

"Yer guess is as good as mine," she replies. "I thought we were just gonna go on a boring boar hunt."

Addy ponders a moment, then asks, "What is yer guess? I mean, ye got any thoughts on what the cause might be?"

15. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

"Boar hunts aren't boring, tho... they're dangerous!"

She ponders. "Plenty o thins live underground... but Dwarves wouldn't be so careless with their mines, would they? And no animals that live own there would grow so big... Unless they do around here." She looks between Addison and the others. "What if it's a Rodent Of Really Unusual Size?"

16. Peebothuhlu

Peebothuhlu Troubadour

Suny:

Suny smiles, "Oh 'Suny' in't me real name. T"is jus' whut tha' poeples be findin' easer ta' say, like." She explains.

"But.. I has bin told that whut me name be in'a speakin' of tha' Kin can be said like that... In'a kind'a way...." She nods happily. (^_^)

17. Legendary Sidekick

Hanako

"I am glad you like name Sun-Sheen! Not everybody like I say not-true name, then they point at me and waggle flyswatter." Hanako gives the Oceanid a curious look. "Is your true name one you can say underwater?—I mean without talking like is blowing many bubble?"

Addison

Addy ponders Einin's guesses, and grins a little at the last one.

"Yeah, that makes sense." The Huntress examines the trail of cracked earth. "It's like a giant rabbit hole, or maybe more like a mole."

Her shouldered hunting bow slides down her arm, into her hand. She gestures in the direction of the trail—generally where you were headed anyway—and is about to say something...

~1300 ft. Ahead
    ...but as Einin's owl-neck turns her gaze to the direction of the hunting grounds, she sees a flash.

Suny sees it too, as the hovering fairy she's facing is too tiny to obscure the view of the valley ahead, and the meadow coming up the other side to the treeline. The flash must be only a quarter-mile away, so it only takes another second to hear the

boom

which is followed by an equally distant scream, and the muffled echo of men shouting somewhere under the billowing swirl of smoke rising from beyond the trees.

((Just post action—movement and words. There's no need to roll dice, and no visible enemy to attack.

Yet...))

18. Peebothuhlu

Peebothuhlu Troubadour

Suny:

"Oh! Somat be happenin'!" Suny exclaims as the sees the flash and the bang. She points and begins to skip off to see what might be happening over that way.

19. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Einin blinks at the flash and the bang, and takes to the air again. "I'll fly ahead to check it out, shall I?"

20. Legendary Sidekick

Addison Lane

As Suny darts into action, Addy gives Einin a nod as she follows the nymph. The two are very fast on foot as they enter the valley, running downhill.

Most people might be winded by the uphill run, but not Addy. She continues her charge toward the sound of men in battle!
    [​IMG]

Perhaps Suny can keep up, and the two can coordinate an attack before the enemy knows what hit him!

((SunySuny, roll athletics [FIGHT ATK dice] to rush into battle at full speed.

2+ = you get to attack first.))

Hanako

Hanako says to Einin, "I agree. We take shortcut!"

In flight, the fairy and harpy are faster than the huntress and nymph. In addition, the valley allows Einin airspace to glide downward for extra speed, none of which will be lost on her gradual upward climb.

The fairy's tiny body is like an arrow!

Einin is suprised she is able to catch up to the fairy by the time she is three-quarters the way across the valley.

But she realized the fairy is slowing down. And she can see why.

Hanako is trying to find a path where the tree canopy will obscure her from view, so she can scout from above without catching attention from those on the ground.
    [​IMG]
    And, unsurprisingly, the tiny fairy's strategy seems like it will work.

Flapping wings is noisy, but Einin should have enough momentum to glide swiftly and silently.

((EininEinin, roll stealth [SHOOT ATK dice] if you want to scout unseen.

3+ = you get to either report what you see without the enemy knowing of you, or you get first attack.

NOTE: if you choose to attack without reporting to Addy and Suny, you'll end up fighting for 1 round without their help.))

Devor likes this.