1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

FATHOM #Zero - The Boring Boar of Hyperborea

Discussion in 'Huntresses Attack Monsters!' started by Legendary Sidekick, May 18, 2018.

1. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

((Fun fact: a barn owl's wing feathers are specifically designed to be as silent as possible even when they flap!))

Einin
    swoops silently over the valley, keen eyes scanning the ground below for what in the world is going on...

[​IMG]

...and when she's seen all she can, she'll report back to her friends with the news.

2. Legendary Sidekick

Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

((In that case, you can roll stealth flights any time. You'd need a 5 in a well-lit clearing, 3 in a place that has obstacles, and 1 in a place where hiding is really super easy. A monster's senses might add +1 to a challenge level, which is why Addy and Suny have a 2 for their feat instead of a 1. 99% of the time, you'll roll a least a 1 with 4 dice, so a 1 is reserved for tasks that you normally wouldn't screw up. A 5 is likely to fail, even if you're highly skilled [3 or 4 dice].))

As everyone heads toward the mysterious flash-bang-scream, more sounds confirm what our heroines surely suspected—these are sounds of battle. Some are familiar.

The clang of steel against steel.

The sickly scream of a dead man.

And then there is a strange sound. A squeal? A roar? The buzzing of a thousand wasps as they fly into your ear? It's impossibly loud, given the distance and the treeline that should muffle it, yet—

Another scream!

This one is not from a dead man, but one who surely wishes he was…

Einin soars toward the buzzing and the screaming. As she draws near, a knight's helmet flies through the air, missing Hanako by several yards. Likely, the helmet was not aimed toward he fairy, but rather the head inside was aimed away from its body.

When Einin is over the tree canopy, she swerves so she can see between the treetops. Clanging sounds direct her to the battle—and a loud buzz-roar—and a sickly, wet splick-splack, and a man shouting the word "bastard" through metal.

Then she sees...

Two glowing red eyes.

She sees the hellfire crimson through the treetops. The rest of the beast is a shape, but for one metal cone. It must be long, because an armored man is impaled on it, and it must be narrow—narrower than the man's stomach, because the man is still alive. Not alive as in Einin's healing magic can save him. Alive as long as his body and soul are willing to endure hellish agony.

Thankfully, not long. The twitching limbs fall limp.

Thankfully, for the remaining knights, the creature sinks back into its hole.

Einin only sees that the shape of the face must be bigger than a man, and until it is too deep in the hole for the harpy to perceive, the red eyes light up the metal cone. It has a sharpness spiraling down, and here is another like it. The one to the right of the right eye has the impaled dead man. The one to the left of the left eye has no victim at the moment. It appears to be long as a man is tall, pointy on the end away from the beast, and perhaps a foot wide at its base.

...then the scream stops, an object flies overhead missing the fairy by several yards, then there is another buzz and some screams.

Addy and Suny keep moving forward as fast as their legs can carry them! They can't tell what is going on, but during the uphill run, they notice Einin and Hanako are safe from harm as they circle above the edge of the treeline...

3. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Einin watches the scene below in horror, and hurries back to let Addison and Suny know what's happening.

"A group of knights are fighting a... I'm not even sure what it is. Some sort of huge creature with metal spikes on its face. A man was impaled on one of them." She shudders. "I think another one lost his head."

4. Legendary Sidekick

Addison Lane

"So much for a boring hunt. Life and death—save who ye can, keep yerselves alive."

Addy looks at Suny, running alongside, and at Einin, easily matching speed in her flight.

"Ready girls?"

((Since Ireth committed to not starting the fight a round ahead, I thought I'd handle the scouting so we can all start the battle!

SunySuny, roll athletics [FIGHT ATK dice]. A 2 is enough to earn you initiative [first attack]—meaning you're not winded from the run, and ready for the monster!

EininEinin, roll stealth [SHOOT ATK dice]. This time, a 2 is all you need for initiative [first attack]—meaning you use the known layout to swoop unseen until it's too late for the monster to react!

DefintlyDefintly, SpinetteSpinette, WynryWynry,
    I'll teleport your heroines to the fight as soon as you make an in-game post confirming you're joining the tutorial.

I'll give everyone 24 hours to jump in. Once the battle starts, the 48-hour rule is in effect, meaning that after the first player posts in response to the GM turn, I give every other active player 48 hours to post as well.
    ))

5. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Einin nods soberly, flexing her talons. "Ready."

She wheels about and heads back toward the battle, hoping they won't be too late to save what remains of the men...

[​IMG]

6. Corwynn

Corwynn Troubadour

"...ere this one leads?", says Wynry as she emerges from one of the coloured rings. She looks around and rubs her hands. "Right, now where...?"

It is at this point that the blue fairy notices the battle raging around her. "Oh, poo!" she says as she puts her hands on her hips and stamps her foot, which would have more impact if she were not a few inches tall and hovering in midair. "I think I'm late. Typical. I think I'm all ready to go on time, and then a thousand things suddenly come up. Let's see..." With a flick of her fingers she conjures up some fairy dust that coalesces into a tiny spyglass which she uses to survey the battlefield. "Hmm, big scary monster thing, dead men, owl girl, under-dressed tanned nymph... Well, that's at least two of them."

Wynry flies into position above the monster, hoping not to be seen yet. She draws (or rather, materializes out of fairy dust) her bow, takes aim, and looses an arrow at the monster. The arrowhead leaves the bow quite a bit sooner than the other end, extending out to roughly ten times Wynry's length before launching completely.

((Sorry if this post is a bit haphazard. I have to leave for work in less than half an hour. But hey, I'm finally here.))

7. Legendary Sidekick

OUR HEROINES
    vs
    THE BORING BOAR OF HYPERBOREA

!

Our heroines rush into the scene to the sounds of armor clanking. Three men remain alive: an armored pikeman, an armored swordsman, and a bearded wizard.

They are waiting for the beast to come out of its hole—and our heroines show up just in time to witness its lunge!

The creature is a giant boar, with metal drills where its tusks should be. Its back is coated in steel scales, and the hellfire-red eyes and steam coming out the ears suggest it is more machine than monster.

8. Legendary Sidekick

The beast attacks—lunging tusk-first at the men!

[​IMG]
    The pikeman sidesteps—the beast's left tusk misses by inches!
    [​IMG]
    The pikeman counterattacks, but the attack bounces harmlessly off the beast's metal hide!

[​IMG]
    The swordsman takes a hit, not from the tusk—but from the armored boot of the man impaled on it!
    [​IMG]
    He hits back, slicing into the beat's head at the base of the tusk!

9. Legendary Sidekick

The wizard releases a ball of fire from his hands!
    [​IMG]
    The magic missile hits the boring boar right between the eyes! It smells of bacon.

Addy manages to run ahead of the group. She stops by a tree thick enough for cover—and looses an arrow!
    [​IMG]
    It hits the face dead center, and bounces harmlessly off the boar's armor-plated snout. Addy mutters a word humans normally don't utter in the presence of a fairy.

Or two fairies—as a little blue-socked creature has just shown up and made a quick assessment of the situation. She shoots the beast right between its red eyes!

Those red eyes glare at her—and beams shoot from the eyes! Hellfire lights the sky!

[​IMG]
    The beam narrowly misses Hanako!

((WynryWynry, & EininEinin, roll SHOOT DEF to avoid getting roasted!))

Amazon Princess Baldhart sees the beast that killed her men has emerged from its hole, she charges!
    [​IMG]
    And her blade is deflected by a boring tusk, dammit implied (and worse said aloud)!

((All Heroines, ATTACK! Here are the rules for the attacks you can use:
    • FIGHT ATK
      • you need to be near the enemy to fight
      • you can move and fight in the same round
    • SHOOT ATK
      • you need to be away from the enemy to shoot
      • you can move and shoot in the same round
    • MAGIC ATK
      • you can cast attack magic whether near or far from the enemy
      • you cannot move and cast magic in the same round))

10. pmmg

pmmg Auror

Hmmm, the boar looks fierce, yet I see no reason to save these men but Baldheart is a sister.... I will leap forward and try to crush it with a two handed blow from the axe, but as soon as the boar is brought down, I intend to shift and hurl my axe at that horrid purple creature on the bass? Hera, what is that?

11. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Still in the air, Einin swerves to avoid the drill-beast's eyebeams! This is like nothing she's ever seen before!

[​IMG]

((Ouch! Do I still attack?))

12. pmmg

pmmg Auror

Oops, I posted in the wrong place I think.

[​IMG]

Take that you swine.

13. Legendary Sidekick

((IrethIreth, you got hit, but you get to hit back.

pmmgpmmg, your the first to roll an attack with a nat.6. There's a combo system that my NPCs would have demonstrated if not for my crappy rolls.

You can roll a FIGHT ATK again. And if you roll another nat.6, you can roll again.

If you roll a different kind of attack (SHOOT ATK or MAGIC ATK), that ends the combo, but the "combo finish" will inflict extra damage or it will both harm and hinder.))

14. pmmg

pmmg Auror

If I could read and do numbers, I would say that meant roll again...

[​IMG]

It looks kind of the same, and I am hoping that means we have iron ham for dinner.

Legendary Sidekick likes this.
  15. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Einin smells burning feathers as she fails to avoid the boar's eyebeams, but she is quick to retaliate. If she can get her claws into the beast's eyes, that will leave it with one less way to attack them!

[​IMG]

Legendary Sidekick likes this.
  16. Legendary Sidekick

((Yup. Your Amazon is making quite an entrance!))

17. pmmg

pmmg Auror

The axe is double-bladed, and it hits both ways.

18. pmmg

pmmg Auror

Hey, this pig has got no meat. Its all just metal and steam. I cant eat that. 'Lite gives a stern look to her sister Baldheart and wonders why anyone would see the use of fighting such a creature. Just pull the plug out of its heel like we did Talos Bronze-man. But that fiendish purple monster on the stage could use a lesson an amazon fury, and that clown looks like I could use him up by morning....

(Which is to say, its 10:00 here, and I am heading home). I may be back tomorrow, but I am not sure about the clown.

FTR, I am not sure how you saw a six in that unless it was the 6x2 bit. Looks like a 5 to me.

19. Orc Knight

Orc Knight Archmage

Enter Spinette, Arachne explorer, wannabe huntress and at the moment, hurrying through the island after her clan Webship dropped her off at it. Tin cup of coffee in one hand and a confused scribbling of a map in the other as she speeds through the forest on no set path (because when you're part spider, it may not be the way the crow flies but it comes close. And you can eat the crow on the way.) going up and down tree's and from branch to branch until she comes to the fairy rings.

"Really? By the funnel webs, how am I supposed to fit into these?" She looks at them and see's something chaotic going beyond them. Setting her shoulders and drinking the last of the coffee, she reads the instructions one last time and sighs. Putting the cup and map in the bag at her back she backs up and takes a running start at the rather small ring.

"For the Spider Queen!" She yells as she leaps into the hole, arms stretched out as if she is diving and legs curled around her abdomen. She manages to get most the way through it. Sighing heavily as she crosses her arms she gives her backside an annoyed glare and a killing glare to the portal before struggling to get four of her legs aligned to push herself the rest of the way through it. Rolling up she comes to the battle ground to see the giant metal boar.

"Web me up. Goddess dammit."

Ireth likes this.
  20. Legendary Sidekick

((For Spinette...))

The blonde fairy uses her magic to stretch the portal—which doesn't make it easy for the large spider body to crawl through, but possible.

When the exit ring grows, Hanako drops it in a panic!

((SpinetteSpinette,
    Roll SHOOT DEF (REFLEX SAVE) to leap out of the portal safely.

Then while you're in the Dice Room anyway, roll an ATTACK!

Everyone else, we're still in Round One...))