1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

FATHOM #Zero - The Boring Boar of Hyperborea

Discussion in 'Huntresses Attack Monsters!' started by Legendary Sidekick, May 18, 2018.

1. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Einin explores her room with joyful curiosity, marveling at the magic that allows this to happen, and finally settles in the flowery nest to open her present and the note. A duck call! That looks like it will come in useful. It's probably not much use inside a room aboard a ship, even if the room is MUCH bigger on the inside. She tucks the duck call into a pouch attached to a belt she wears around her waist, then heads out to find Addison again and thank her.

2. Devor

Devor Fiery Keeper of the Hat Moderator

"I have hardly done a thing to warrant either gift or transport," Defintly says to Addy as she boards the ship and marvels with a mixture of fear and wonder. "But I'll never have it said about me that it was difficult to give me a gift."

"The dimensions of this vessel do not account for much room beyond these windows," she says as she walks through the hall of windows. "Good, there should be plenty of time to get to know the other passengers with rooms this small and close together."

She takes a step into her room. "What is this....?"

A fax begins printing from her left arm. "Error #49TLX."

pmmg likes this.
  3. pmmg

pmmg Auror

Well, there is magic, and there is strange magic.... 'Lite is just not sure what she thinks of it. But why sleep on the floor out here, when I can sleep on the floor in there... We'll give it a try, but I think perhaps feeling earth (or water) under ones feet is just too important...we'll see.

Hmmmm...why would an amazon queen need a bed with these man chains on it? Oh...a bag of rocks. *Tastes one* Yes, rocks. Someone took the time to write on them, but I don't know what it says. Its all Greek to me. Maybe I'll ask the fairy...er... if I remember.

Speaking of remembering, I need to find a pig and offer it up to Nike for her aid in the battle, and all the mortals know, you don't want to anger the Gods just before a sea voyage. I'll be back.

4. Peebothuhlu

Peebothuhlu Troubadour

Suny skips closer to listen to Adyd's words. How much the tanned lass understands by the end of Addy's speach seems open to guessing. Suny gently moves Wynry to some where a little more solid than a prancing Undine before she turns and sighs.

"I were havin' tha' funest time lookin' at all'a things!" She explains. "All
    a peoples an'a places an'a colours an'a smells an'a noises...."
    SUny pauses,

"Well, not tha' loudest ones." She shakes her blond mop. "All'a banging' an'a boomin' an'a 'GRRR'-in'." She makes claws with her hands and leans forwards to the others as she emphasises their, previous, violent encounter.

"But... peoples wan'a go about on'a boat?" She shrugs, "I all okeys!" She enthuses, grinning brightly before boucing over and 'Glomping' the Princess.

"T'was grand meetin' y'selfs!" Suny hugs the Princess tightly for a moment before skipping away with a jaunty wave.

Bouncing up the gang plank Suny looks around....

Pausing as she notes the others who are still looking from where she's gone to the black, square thingy. Suny leans over the railing.

"C'm ON! We'se goin' on a ADVENTURE!" She exclaims brightly waving every one to come on board, before disappearing back onto the deck and scampering around to look at ALL the new things.

(^_^)

5. Legendary Sidekick

Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

"Me pleasure," Addy says in response to Einin's thank-you. Eyeing the belt pouch, she adds, "Yeah. Best ye keep it on ye at all times. I don't wanna say nothing o' what it's for... it's something ye gotta see for yerself to believe, and I ain't got the magic to activate it."

Baldy also gladly accepts Suny's hug, lifting the nymph in the air as if she's weightless, before letting her bound onto the ship. When Suny enters her room, it's a beach, with a perfectly blue sky and sun and wind that regulate the temperature to Suny's comfort level. She can feel the magic around her—the blue magic that all aquatic nymphs draw their power from (though Suny may not think in those terms)—yet it's far more potent, as if there is a second force of nature feeding the magic that creates the illusory environment.

When Defintly arrives at her door, she looks back to see Suny—through the window of her room walking in place, if on the beach, or swimming in place if in the water.

As for Defintly's own room, it is a black cube, 10 ft. x 10 ft. x 10 ft. with green glowing grids with the gridlines an inch thick and 11 in. x 11 in. black squares in between. She sees a wooden box with a white strip of paper attached. As she walks toward the gift, the gridlines on the floor move and she is almost walking in place. The gift is only seven feet away, but it takes many steps to get within arms' reach of the box. It would take as long to cross a very large room. Also, some grids extend from the wall in front of her, forming a bed that she can lie down on, if she wants to sleep as humans do for some reason. The gift is on the foot of the "bed."

Xenalite is off to make her offering to Nike. Nissa flies along with her, offering to teleport her back to save time.

((XenaliteXenalite, feel free to post the offering, if you want to, since I'm allowing time for SpinetteSpinette and WynryWynry to board.))

6. pmmg

pmmg Auror

'Lite
    Hey Pig Man, I need some pigs.

Merchant
    Did you just call me Pig Man?

'Lite
    Yes, I promised the Goddess Nike a whole hecatomb of pig meat for blessing me in battle against flying and armored pigs.

Merchant
    I am not a Pig Man.

'Lite
    All men look like pigs. Were it not true, the witch, Circe, would not turn men into them.

Merchant
    The witch...what???

'Lite
    I require some pigs to please the Goddess. Will you not aid me in this effort?

Merchant
    How many pigs?

'Lite
    A hecatomb.

Merchant
    What the hell is a hecatomb?

'Lite
    You mean Hades?

Merchant
    I mean, what the hell is a hecatomb?

'Lite
    Well, its a lot. Four should do.

Merchant
    And you can pay for this?

'Lite
    Pay?

Merchant
    Yes, you know...pay. Like with coins, dinari, lire, euros...

'Lite
    Oh, like with Dachma? On Fem-Masc....on the Amazon Island...we dont use coins.

Merchant
    Oh, I see. Well, your pretty cute. Maybe we could make some other arrangement?

'Lite
    What do you mean?

Merchant
    I mean pig farmers dont often see such beautiful young maidens, or have much excitement in their lives.

'Lite
    Ah...disgusting. Remove your hand...*gasp*

Later, near the docks...

Addison
    Hey, Xenalite, what are cooking up here?

'Lite
    A hecatomb of pigs meat for the Goddess Nike, and for a safe journey accross the sea.

Addison
    This does not entirely look like pigs meat. Are you sure?

'Lite
    Pigs, men, its all the same....

Addison
    Um....okay.... What's a hecatomb?

7. pmmg

pmmg Auror

Addendum...

Nissa,
    Wow, you move so fast. Why did you want me to carry this bag of rocks?

'Lite
    Oh...the rocks. They were given to me. I think they must be for a game. We amazons have a game we call 'Rocks' where we throw rocks and try to break or bash the other players rocks out of the center of a large circle. But these have writing on them, so maybe they are too nice a set to just throw and break up. Do you know why Princess Baldhart would want to give these away?

...and, it reminds me. Please give the Princess this beaver claw necklace, which was given to me from a northern tribe some yeats ago.

Nissa
    Are you sure that is pigs meat?

'Lite
    Ya know, someone should invent something I can sling over my shoulder and carry stuff in....

(sorry, I forgot about Nissa)

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  8. Legendary Sidekick

((We'll leave the scenes above as is. I like them! —but going forward, let's stick to the typical RPG gameplay where players only control their own characters.))

Nissa replies, "I'm not sure what the rocks do exactly, but I'm detecting all kinds of magic. There's earth and fire, which I've known forever, and lightning, which I'm really good at... and I'll bet your water-nymph friend can feel there's water in some of the rocks. Whether or not you should smash the rocks, I can't tell you. Maybe if you can read one of the rocks, it will tell you what to do."

((To save you the trouble, the gifts you're getting will be useful later, but most of them will do little or nothing now.))

9. pmmg

pmmg Auror

Hmmm...not really a reader. I'll show them to Sun....Einin, she's part owl, and see if she can read them.

10. Legendary Sidekick

((Oh! Is Xenalite illiterate? Not a problem if she is... she'll just need her teammates to read the stones. I was planning to make it obvious when they become readable, so you won't need to keep posting "I look at my rocks."))

Nissa assures the Amazon, "I'm sure your friends will be able to help you when the rock wants to be read."

11. pmmg

pmmg Auror

Hey, I can read.

greek.JPG
    Erm...What's the next one again?

Legendary Sidekick likes this.
  12. Orc Knight

Orc Knight Archmage

Finally getting around to boarding the ship, Spinette moves on to it as if born to it. She hasn't exactly spoken much with the others but as they are all off doing their own thing and exploring their rooms, she heads towards hers. She makes a wry note that her own not only was the entire aft part of the ship but on the aft. If the Princess was saying something about her own aft, no brainy colada's for her. Even though she wasn't sure the Princess or anyone else would like that particular drink. Or even sure if the ship had tequila and salt. She had her own straw at least. No fancy glass though.

With these thoughts, she headed into her own room to find what all the excitement was about.

13. Peebothuhlu

Peebothuhlu Troubadour

Suny:

Suny comes skipping out of her room and joins in the gathering on the ship's deck.

She waves cheerily to Spinette as the other lass ambles past. (^_^)

14. Legendary Sidekick

Spinette's "door" is considerably larger than the others, to accommodate her spider body.

Inside, her room is a crystal cavern fit for a spider queen... if not for the incessant hammering.

"Aw, nuts," says a man.

He turns to face Spinette. He has dark brown—almost black—skin, only it isn't skin. It's stone! The arachne is sure of this when he fully turns and she can see his beard—several crystals protruding from his chin, with molten lava swirling inside. He is smoking a pipe, and is wearing a smoking jacket which is literally smoking, emitting more smoke than the pipe.

He lowers his hammer so he won't appear hostile. Though the hammer is clearly being used as a tool, its orange glow makes it look like a magic weapon.

"Sorry, ma'am," the rock man goes on. "Had your room ready to go, but the boss asked me to add a trophy display case.

"Oh. Manners. You can call me Heph. I'm the ship's mechanic—mostly aboard to keep the rooms in order, not that I mean to be in your room. I share a room with the boss—I s'pose you've seen her already."

15. Devor

Devor Fiery Keeper of the Hat Moderator

Defintly plucks the paper strip from her arm, looks at the error code with a shake of the head, and places it in a narrow opening under her arm for recycling.

She looks around the room and begins walking through it slowly. The gridlines and the empty space are somewhat soothing, as if the dark hiding place of her mind were put up around her for her comfort.

She walks to the center of the room and when she finally gets there, picks up her gift.

She reads through the letter from the brick man, and a little water drips from her eyes, and a little more oil drips from her legs. She would have to get those leaks fixed.

She picks up the two gold coins that fell from the note, claps them together, looks over their design, and inserts them in a storage compartment in her hip. She had noticed that none of the other women had storage pockets. What was that about?

She turns back to the window and takes the many long steps it takes to get to the exit. She looks back over the gridlines and vows never to return to this creepy ghost mind room again.

One of the other women will put her up, surely.

16. Orc Knight

Orc Knight Archmage

Spinette waves back at Suny before going into the room and looks around with the room with some approval. And the new trophy case that now comes with it. At least it'll make it a good place when not wearing them.

"Then you have my thanks. And yes, I believe I have met her. Looks as though I can make it quite homely." She says as she starts crawling up the walls and deciding where she was going to place her main sleeping web. Then a place for any spiders she collects along the way. And the trophy case. Maybe have to hang a drink table and a coffee table. She could figure it out as she went. "I will go and attend the feast now and finally get to know my fellow fighters." She nods as she heads out, still wearing her trophy.

17. Legendary Sidekick

Spinette speaks to Heph, and on her way out the door, she notices something hanging on the knob.

Heph nods at the words of thanks, and finishes Spinette's case.

When he steps out, Heph sees the look on Defintly's face.

The stone man asks the metal maiden, "Is it too feminine? My wife asked that I make your room fit for a young lady. Maybe I aimed for too young?"

18. pmmg

pmmg Auror

The Gods are appeased and so far no bad omens. 'Lite is ready to go. She'll just wait on deck...or wander off to that noisy stale smelling place of rowdy merriment over there by the main street...until we are ready to leave. Someone had said that stones can be made to skip on water, but she thinks that must be non-sense. Stones do not float. Anyway.... She'll wander...not far...until we are ready to go.

19. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Einin is happy to show her new duck call to the others, and also her room if they'd like. "Does anyone here know how this even possible? I've never heard of a room that's bigger on the inside! Is the whole ship like this?"

20. Legendary Sidekick

Once everyone has had the chance to see their rooms, Addy the Huntress Trainer, Baldy the Princess, and their fairy companions, Hanako and Nissa bid our heroines farewell.

On deck, a feast is prepared, though it is a vegetarian feast since the meat on the boars was rotten, and what Xenalite brought was not meant for mortals' consumption, and that's probably for the best.

Seating arrangements have Xenalite and Spinette on one side, Suny, Einin and Defintly on the other, and two corks of different sizes are placed on the corner of the table. The corks function as a tiny table and backless seat for Wynry!

Heph seats himself at one end of the table. To answer Einin's question, he says, "Yup. I attached six pocket dimensions to the windows for all of you. It's a combination of my technical knowledge and my wife's magic. Oh... and my wife'll cap'n the ship, by the way. Y'all saw her when you arrived at the docks, I s'pose. For those who ain't met me, Hephtholomew Lukehot's the name. But, please, call me Heph."

Heph scoops some salad into his bowl, then serves the fairy (four times what she could possibly eat) before passing the salad along.

The seat at the head of the table is currently empty. And (once Xenalite is aboard) the ship is moving...!