• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Featured Portfolio Entry

Ankari

Hero Breaker
Greetings,

It would be beneficial to many members to have a portfolio entry featured on your homepage. This would help expose the author as well as offer an incentive for your members to submit an entry into their portfolio.

The ideal process of picking a featured portfolio entry would be to have a committee read each entry then assign the first one that seems polished and readable enough to earn the front page. This may seem a bit unfair, but it does offer random visitors to this site a polished representation of this community.

I would also have an RSS feed or news letter that members or visitors can subscribe to that sends them the portfolio entry of the week.

If this process is to slow or cumbersome you could always go with the most visited entries or random entries.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
It's not a bad idea to feature short stories on the home page. But there's no way to feature entries unless they are specifically submitted for that purpose. It would be stealing first-publishing rights, and most likely even the best entry needs some editing. We even have an editing process for the blog posts.

People will disagree with me, but I'm of the mind that a blog should be a blog, and that we should find other ways on the site to publish stories. That's because everything on the site right now is geared towards fantasy authors, and for building our community, that's terrific. But to really promote our works we need to find a way to appeal to readers.

I think it would be better to isolate a section of the site which can be rebranded towards that purpose. Mythic Scribes publishes the Mythic Manuscripts sorta thing. Maybe every quarter we publish four short stories from our members and keep at it until we can put together an anthology. I think that would be the way to go.

Cloud

Minstrel
I like the idea.

The portfolio feature isn't widely used at the moment and the chance of a moment in the spotlight might encourage members to embrace it a little more.

I wouldn't recommend featuring a specific portfolio piece - just a whole portfolio in general - of whichever member the admin team feel currently has the strongest portfolio.