• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Final Fantasy

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
Any Final Fantasy fans? What's your favorite in the series? Favorite characters?

My Top 5 ranking is as such:

1. FF 6: Best ensemble cast, best storyline, cool steampunk sort of world. Awesome Espers system. Mechs. Most insane villain in Kefka.

2. FF 4: Awesome story. Pretty cool characters including Kain the dragoon, one of my all time favorites. Recently replayed this on PSP's collection.

3. FF 1: The original. Fighter, monk, white mage, black mage. My default party!

4. FF 9: Throwback to the old days. Great overall.

5.(Tie) FF 7: Most everyone's number 1 for various reasons. It's good but not as good as those I've listed earlier. Materia system is awesome and has an eclectic cast of characters. And Sephiroth ranks as a top villain in the series.

5. (Tie) FF 10: Nice game but with sort of a weird storyline.

I like the most recent ones, FF 12 and 13, but I don't rank them in my top 5.

P.S. I have an article coming up that discusses Final Fantasy's future that may pique some interest. Check it out when it's post next month.

Sparkie

Auror
Oooh! I like this thread.

My top five:

1. FF X: Tidus sucks, I think, but everything else about this title rocks. (I perfer to think of Yuna as the true center of this story.) Turn-based battle systems tend to catch a lot of flack these days, but this engine is my favorite in the series. A little water symbolisim helps, plus there's a bit of not-so-disguised commentary on whan can happen when the church becomes the state.

2. FF VIII: This game was the first title I bought after taking a six year long hiatus from electronic RPG's, and it re-ignited my love for gaming. Yes, the tutorials are arduous (as well as a few characters,) but this game is still one of my favorites.

3. FF VI: To this day, no other game has generated so much discussion and cooperation among my friends. We would call and visit each other just to compare strategies and write childish fanfic. This is the FF entry that deserves a remake.

4. FF IX: A game that mixes the best aspects of two eras of gaming. Why doesn't Square Enix make another game like this? I'd play it in a heartbeat. Aside from a lack of a terrific main baddie, I think this title has the best overall cast of characters of any entry in the series.

5: FF XI: I know, I know. It's not a 'real' FF game, but I don't care. I really enjoyed the time I spent leveling out at Valkurm Dunes, and I met some great folks in the process. Not the best MMO. Still, it's fun, and what else really matters when it comes to games?

As for my favorite character, I guess it's a three-way tie between Vivi, Squall, and Sabin.

Anyone else think FF VII is a bit too highly praised?

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I forgot to mention favorite characters. I'd say Kain, Kefka, and Locke.

FF 7 is definitely good, but I don't think it deserves to be number 1 on lists as much as it is. It's definitely the most mainstream title, being why it gets so much love. And the chemistry between Cloud and Sephiroth is off-the-charts good. However, compared to other titles, yes it's a bit too highly praised.

I'm not surprised you mentioned 10 as being number 1 on your list. Tons of people love this one. I like it a lot too but the only thing that annoys me about it is the sort of baffling storyline. Maybe I need to replay it again, but I remember the actual game being awesome but the storyline giving me "Philosophy 101" headaches.

It's been mentioned elsewhere, but it would be awesome if FF did another throwback title like 9. If they didn't do it for consoles, at least do it for the newest handhelds. A brand new, turn based, classic FF would sell a lot, I can guarantee that. So...hold on. Wait. OMG.

Look at this. I read this right in the middle of this post. Final Fantasy 15 To Be Released On The 3DS | Bitmob.com

Final Fantasy 15. On 3DS?

EDIT: This article is also two years old. So...sorry. Maybe it's not true?

Double EDIT: No, looks like I read more recent info and this will not be the case. Seems like they are pushing more towards action related titles. Hmm...

Last edited:

Vanya

Dreamer
1. FF VIII was my first FF I bought. I LOVED it.

2. FF Crystal Chronicles on GameCube. It was a cute co-op game my hubby and I played in our first apartment. I guess it has sentimental value for me and that's why it rates second.

3. FF Crystal Chronicles: Crystal Bearer for Wii. We bought this after #2 and we both really liked it.

4. FF XI. I played it a little bit after getting hooked on WoW and forcing myself to stop, so I never let myself get fully involved in the game. I'm sure I could engross myself in it if I let myself.

5. FF XIII. I'm still in the process of playing it, but I like it so far. :)

I could never really get into VII so it's not in my top five. I bought FF x2 and, boy oh boy, I wish I never made that purchase. Definitely not my style. It makes me think twice if I really want to get FF XIII-2.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
If you like XIII, then you'll like XIII-2 more I think. At least most of the complaints of XIII seem to be fixed in XIII-2. Read some non-spoiler reviews and see if it's up your alley.

I'm surprised so many people like VIII. It's my least favorite one for various reasons. I recently tried to replay it on my PSP because I thought maybe I was missing something, but I couldn't even get past the first part. Do you mind sharing why that one is your favorite? Maybe I'm still not getting it completely.

Vanya

Dreamer
It's my favorite because it was my first ever Final Fantasy game. I really enjoyed how the battles were played, the graphics (especially the spells!) and the card game I kicked butt in. It was all new and exciting for me. I'm betting if I played FF VII first I wouldn't have liked FF VIII so much, but as it is I loved that game. I didn't play the original NES games so I never knew what to expect. I was busy playing Mario and Sonic.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
Thanks for the reply. I guess because I grew up with the SNES and NES versions they hold a dearer place in my heart. And while I'm a fan of the PS1 versions, they just didn't measure up to my high expectations I guess.

Janga

Minstrel
I'll rate the ones I've played. I havent played all of the FF games:

FF6: It was known as FF3 when I had it for my Super Nintendo. This is probably my favorite game of all time. The story was just so awesome and Kefka was a brilliant villain.

FF7: Another terrific FF game... great story and Sephiroth was a great villain.

FF12: I loved the changeup in the battle system and the better graphics on the PS2.

FF10: Great story... thats all I really remember of it.

FF8: Another great game. I loved the idea of the college.

Kelise

Maester
FFVIII was my first, but FFXII was my favourite, simply because of sky pirates and Balthier. Everyone in FFVIII whines SO MUCH but it's still dear to me. Even if it is so hard to go back and play it when it's all pixely.

I have to say, I haven't really liked the latest games that much :\ FFIII is probably my second favourite. Then Revenant Wings.

FFIX wasn't a favourite, FFX was awesome except for Tidus, FFX-II I didn't like at all. FFXIII I think I was expecting too much from and haven't played FFXI.

I haven't really played the middle games enough to get a feel for them, but I think I own every single one.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
Interesting no one mentions certain ones. I like to call some of these "The Forgotten Final Fantasies." Namely FFII, FFIII, and FFV (Japanese order.) I would say FFV is actually a pretty good entry in the series, but due to it not getting pushed as much as some of the others, doesn't get mentioned as much. I recently played FFIII on DS and it's sort of "meh." FFII also has its moments but doesn't really shine like some of the others.

I heard that FF15's producers said "they want a story that hasn't been told before" for the next entry. I'm curious as to what that can be, being that they've used existentialism, time travel, quantum physics, man vs. machine, man vs. magic, clones, dream worlds, and just about everything you can think of.

Jess A

Archmage
Final Fantasy IX, hands down. I loved the story, the music, the characters and the steam punk setting. I suppose I am biased because it is the only one that I really spent much time playing. I am not the most patient of gamers - I can't sit there for hours playing.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
In order, I'll rank the ones I've played, but all of them are phenomenal games.

FF VI - I thought it was ending, then the world blew up. Half-way mark? WHAT?!
FF VII - Took a while to get into, but definitely worth it. The development of Cloud's character is incredible.
FF IV - A lot of fun, and ingenious for its day, but on a recent replay effort, it was only alright.
FF X - *Mind-Blow* A lot of crazy stuff in this one. Most of it works, but it gets a little too weird at times.
FF VIII - Eventually you start to like the MC, and then you realize in hindsight that it was a great story.
FF I - A custom party instead of characters. It fit with my D&D days. I don't remember much about it.

But the list is leaving out at least three games by the same company and in the same roleplaying vein that I feel deserve to be mentioned. In order, those are: Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG (a partnership between Square Enix and Nintendo), and Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2. Legendary games that deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Final Fantasy.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
Chrono Trigger is widely regarded by some as being better than any Final Fantasy, that's how good it is. However, I wouldn't necessarily go that far. It's an awesome game for sure and beats out some of the Final Fantasy games.

I never got into the Kingdom Hearts games, but I understand the appeal of them. And Super Mario RPG was fantastic.

If mentioning other games, I must note that Dragon Quest is actually considered the superior series here in Japan. One thing about it is that it's never really tried to be more than what it is. Which is saying a lot for it's staying power. Dragon Quest IX sold millions of copies here.

I agree with your list obviously, because it's basically the same as mine. :)

Reaver

Staff
I don't want to get off topic here but I think that SHINING IN THE DARKNESS must be mentioned as one of the greatest RPG "Dungeon Crawlers" of all time.

Chrono Trigger tops my list, but I love all the Final Fantasy games. When stationed in Okinawa back in the early 90's I had access to the Japanese versions, which I have to say are superior in many ways to their U.S. released counterparts.

Just my humble opinion.

Leif GS Notae

Closed Account
Oh, thank the sweet baby whatever-it-is-that-believes-in-us that there isn't a lot of FFVII on the lists. That has to be the worst one out of the series. I know, I played XII. Anything with II is less than par, I am guessing...

VI - Kefka. That's it, this is what makes the game.

IV - My first real FF experience on my own with sweeping characters and a good storyline. I made it a goal to beat it every month while I was in high school. I knew everything backward and forward, still smile to this day.

I - How can anyone not love them some Red Mage? I think I might be a bit jaded by 8 Bit Theater though.

IX - A classic entry everyone pans because of the monkey tail. A good return and decent enough to end out the PSOne era

VIII - Yep, this was better than VII in my books. Better characters, better story (I'm a sucker for time travel) and Squall's hair is brown.

ADDON: How can anyone forget Final Fantasy Tactics? I loved Tactics Ogre more, but the same crew worked on both so it is awesome for me.

Yep. VII and XII, really bad... REALLY BAD. I'd rate any Crystal Chronicles entry and XIII over these two games. Yep, a hallways game with a super annoying support character is better than Cloud and Sephiroth.

Can you tell I hate those games? My apologies. I know, it's opinion and I don't want to stir the pot here. The story was lost on me and I didn't really have a connection when I played either one. I never even cried when Aerith dies.

Sparkie

Auror
Interesting no one mentions certain ones. I like to call some of these "The Forgotten Final Fantasies." Namely FFII, FFIII, and FFV (Japanese order.) I would say FFV is actually a pretty good entry in the series, but due to it not getting pushed as much as some of the others, doesn't get mentioned as much. I recently played FFIII on DS and it's sort of "meh." FFII also has its moments but doesn't really shine like some of the others.

I heard that FF15's producers said "they want a story that hasn't been told before" for the next entry. I'm curious as to what that can be, being that they've used existentialism, time travel, quantum physics, man vs. machine, man vs. magic, clones, dream worlds, and just about everything you can think of.

I've played most FF games, but not III. Thanks for the mini-assessment, and I agree with you on FFII.

While we're going off topic a bit, I also really liked Lunar: Eternal Blue. Anyone else play this one?

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
Okay. I played a few of them, and I definitely remember I. It was okay, but since we had original Nintendo.. you know, we played every game we could get our hands on. I loved the one for SNES with Rosa and Cecil. Then I want to talk about FFVII.......
I don't know how old you all are, but I'm 31, and when it came out I must have been 18 or something.....
It was absolutely the most revolutionary thing I've ever seen. Do you all remember the graphics? Sure now we look back and realize they were crap, but at the time, the cut-scenes were the most awesome things I had ever seen, and That's why I think it's the best one.
Not to mention, I'm in love with Vincent. In fact, I made a Vincent costume with the gun and everything....
I hated VIII, and didn't get very far because the handbook sucked so bad.
Was X the one with Lulu? I loved Lulu, but I can't remember the plot, really. I think I sort of liked that one, but after VII my expectations were really high.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I rank FVII lower than others, but I still think it has a lot to offer. The story gets really weird, but then that's sort of the case with almost all of the games past VII. Even IX which was relatively straightforward had its weird moments.

I guess my main focus with Final Fantasy is the storyline. Graphics are great and all, but there are tons of pretty games that suck.

FFVII and VIII are probably the two most divisive games in the series I think. People either love them or hate them. There's really no middle ground on those games.

My absolute favourite game of all time, has to be FFVI without a doubt, I still play it from time to time on zsnes (my snes died a few years back to many tears from me) Not only does it have Locke Terra and the brilliantly evil Kefka, and an awesome storyline which includes the world exploding halfway through. It also has one of the coolest secret levels I've ever seen in a game (the one where you find the hidden character Gogo)

Next would be FFVII, the whole story around Cloud and Sepiroth was great, and it was certainly a huge shock when Aeris got killed!

FFX was good but I never finished it, got overloaded with work and somehow never got back to it, must go back and replay it one day.

FFV was a great Game from what I recall but I've not played it in years so my memory is a bit thin on that.

There are some that I have not played due to not having the hardware, but we recently got a wii for the kids so I tried crystal chronicles and absolutely hated it.

I have to agree that Chrono Trigger is another awesome game - I've just recently started replaying it again on the zsnes. I also loved breath of fire (but hated the playstation version)

Big Final Fantasy fan, here. My favourite would be a tie between FF6 and FF10.

FF6 is pretty much the perfected epitome of classic 2D JRPGs, along with maybe Chrono Trigger. Really, it doesn't get better then that - the world, the characters, the narrative, the dialogue, the finale. All of it kicks ass.

As for FF10, it did away with some stuff that had bothered me about the previous 3D FF games, like the free-roaming map, while finally reaching a level of refinement that could show me something believable and awe-inspiring. I loved weird and ruined world it presented to me - to this day, Spira is one of my all time favourite settings. I'm pretty sure I played FF10 more then I have played any other game, to the point where I actually ruined my thumb for quite a while. I'm partially ambidexterous today because of it.

FF12 also showed a lot of promise, but I didn't think the story lived up to it - it seemed to promise a huge epic about warring empires and betrayel and conspiracies and airship fleets and weird creatures but it turned out to be basically just a series of fetch quests to get magical swords and stones from various dungeons. It just felt as if they could have done much more with it.

Also, while FF12 has some of my favourite characters of all time (Balthier for the heroes and Dr Cid for the villains) it also had Vaan, who was a terrible main character with virtually no relevance to the plot at all.

I haven't played FF13 yet, but I've heard very varied opinions about it. All in all, I expect to like it.

Tidus sucks, I think,
FFX was awesome except for Tidus,

You know, I never really got why so many people hate Tidus. Aside from some admittedly painful voice acting, I thought he was one of the better protagonists. He does complain a bit, but then again the guy had a ton of crap dropped on him over the course of the game and all in all, I think he took it with stride.

Seriously, compare him to Cloud Strife for a moment. Cloud is a badass former soldier and professional headbooter. He's told he's a clone with false memories. The guy goes catatonic.

Tidus is the equivalent of an ace football player. He's told that his life is literally just a dream. His reaction is basically: "I don't care!"

That's what I like about Tidus - he never faltered. The story kept dropping one nasty surprise after the other on him, and his way of dealing with them usually amounted to kicking even more ass and figuring something out along the way.

And at least he's not Vaan, who was basically Tidus except without any of the characteristics that actually made Tidus somewhat interesting.