• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Fire Emblem: Awakening (or; military matchmaking)

First Fire Emblem I've ever played. The plot's kind of dumb, and the combat system's easy to break in half once you figure out what you're doing (unless you're playing on Lunatic, of course), but the characters are all adorable. This creates the unusual situation where you're using characters you know you won't stick with for the rest of the game, just because you want them to fall in love and marry each other (thus creating a future in which they have children together, allowing you to recruit second-generation units when they pass through a time portal to the present. And then marry the second-generation units to each other.)

By my math, there are 127 possible pairings among the first generation, not counting anything with the protagonist, 36 among the second generation, not counting anything with the protagonist's kid, 12 with the protagonist's kid, and I don't even know HOW many pairings involving the protagonist. All of these have unique interactions written out for them, shedding light on different aspects of the involved characters' personalities, and even the seemingly ridiculous pairings can become quite touching after enough conversations. (Panne+Henry is a personal favorite of mine--these people should not go together, and yet their relationship eventually makes a strange amount of sense!)

Who'd you matchmake with who?

Last edited:
As a person who has played more than one Fire Emblem game, is this actually a thing?

Hey, it's still less warped than how they implemented it in the fourth game back in 1996. At least in this one you can't marry anyone to their blood siblings.