• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

First Edition Marketing vs Releasing an Edited Second Edition

I’ve recently published my first novel The Guardian Chronicles: Emergence and I’ve been getting feedback on small errors that my editor and I both missed. Mainly, the errors are just misplaced words and a sentence that does not quite make sense. The grammar, as well as, the sentence structure is both fine and they errors that exist do not detract from the plot or the flow of the story. I would like to point out that for every error not found, my editor found twenty others. So I am satisfied with his work.

My question is now do I focus on marketing and promotion to get my name out there as a writer or do I focus on correcting these errors and move towards a second printing?

Shockley

Maester
I'd have a very different answer if this wasn't for publication, but since it's already out there:

You are providing a service, at this point. You are giving your stories to the world at large. You owe yourself and your consumer those corrections.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
Why can't you do both? A book with too many noticeable errors reflects poorly on the author and the perceived quality of future books by said author.

Telcontar

Staff
If your book is only ePublished correcting errors is a simple and more-or-less silent matter.

If printed... probably should eventually get a corrected edition out, but wait until you've found most of the typos. :)

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
I dislike very much when I have to read typos. I personally feel like when I pay for a book, I ought to have someone's best. That being said, I'm not an editor, and I don't know how many typos you're talking about. Some typos are pretty forgivable; forgotten quotation marks, a misspelling like "had" where it should have read "head". These things are really hard to catch. However, if I had sentences which were obviously cut and not refined... I'd be pretty upset by it and it might seriously stop me from considering that author again. However if the book was mind-blowingly awesome... I'd be more lenient. Hope that aids you in your consideration.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
I would correct the errors, then read the entire story aloud to make sure there aren't any more before releasing the second edition. (That's what I actually did when I self-published a book, then found some errors that slipped by.)

You don't need to change the ISBN if you are only correcting mistakes . Just correct the file, add a statement to the copywrite page that indicates A "second edition." It's really no big deal and you SHOULD correct the problems.