• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

For all the 'tormented writers' amongst us

Guru Coyote

Archmage
There has been some good discussion about 'productivity' lately... but really, what is it?

Here is a TED talk I heard today that tackles the creative process from a slightly different aspect:

Elizabeth Gilbert: Your elusive creative genius | Video on TED.com

The one central quote I'd like you to take away from it (I strongly encourage you to listen to the whole thing!) is this:

"Listen you, thing, you and I both know that if this book isn't brilliant that is not entirely my fault, right? Because you can see that I am putting everything I have into this, I don't have any more than this. So if you want it to be better, then you've got to show up and do your part of the deal. O.K. But if you don't do that, you know what, the hell with it. I'm going to keep writing anyway because that's my job. And I would please like the record to reflect today that I showed up for my part of the job."

And, as this is in the Writing Questions section... What do you do "when it's just not coming"? Does it help to blame some outside force but yourself?

When it's just not coming? I work harder. I sit and I force myself to write. It doesn't help to blame some other force. It is a waste of time effort and is nothing more than an excuse. If one wants to be a professional writer one must be a professional in their bearing and work habits. Not just a professional hoper.

saellys

Inkling
I'm going to listen to that TED Talk (my third in three days, which is more TED Talks than I've viewed in my entire life heretofore!), but in the meantime, I'll just say that the muse is a lie. I have no muse. I have an idea that's pretty good and then I think about it and work on it until it's an awesome idea, and then I sit down and write until it's real. If I miss a day of writing, the story starts burning me up from the inside, and that's not the doing of a muse or a creative genius--that's work and habit, just like Brian said above.

I've mentioned before that I see my writing as a rational endeavor rather than an intuitive one. If I don't know what to do next, I need to either outline more, or change something in earlier chapters to allow the story to proceed. Past chapter 1, the author isn't the one who needs inspiration--the characters are the ones doing things, and they act according to the rules you've set for them.

Addison

Auror
An analogy to writing with X-treme sports just popped into my head. (Or any outdoor sport)
Some people bike, hike or horse ride with a plan. They pick a trail and stick to it to get to their destination. Others start out knowing point A and Point Z but don't plot out which way to turn, they explore as they go with a few check points so they know they're still in the right county. Others see point A, no point Z, and just start riding/biking/hiking.

You, Feo, sound like the first type.
Me? I'm the second type. Although I used to be the third type. :p

But a reminder, you're outside in a wild environment, just like the imagination. You can't account for all dangers no matter how well you plan. It could be weather change or animals or injury. Nothing is set in stone until you get to the end.

Guru Coyote

Archmage
To me, the creative process has two parts (both of which could be described as 'rational'):
1. Put stuff together that doesn't usually go together, and try a lot of combinations... this is really a very rational, mechanical thing
2. Choose the best combination... this requires 'taste' or the ability to recognize a good idea/concept/image

That second element I think is where all the mythicism about creativity comes from. How does one 'know' something 'works'? Where does one acquire 'taste'?

There is an experiment with music, where a program will generate 100 random 'tunes' that are just notes picked at random. Then human choose and rate from those original 100 tunes. The top 10 are taken and each one is slightly altered by the program (mutated) so there are, again 100 tunes to pick and rate. This process is repeated many times. And lo and behold, it does produce interesting and pleasing music.
Maybe that is what the 'sit down and just write' really is about. Write something, maybe even anything, until you have enough material to choose the best from.
This approach definitely works in photography. The world's most famous photos are not a product of carefully setting up The One Shot. They mostly are a matter of picking the one lucky shot from a pile of shots.

Anyway, do listen to the talk if you get a chance. She is NOT saying that creativity is something outside us, the point here is another one.

Addison

Auror
My main problem is, when I get a great idea, to write it down fast enough so I won't forget but legible so I can type it up.

danr62

Sage
My problem is that I dream of being a professional writer, but I don't put my butt in the chair and act like a professional.

Guru Coyote

Archmage
My problem is that I dream of being a professional writer, but I don't put my butt in the chair and act like a professional.
What part of "being a professional writer" are you dreaming about?
I think there are two things to want about it:
a) To want to write a book
b) To want to Have Written a book

Can you dream about Writing? Not about having written?

Xaysai

Inkling

While our goals are different, I am in the same boat in terms of making it happen. I find that I can write, revise and edit about 1k words/week. I could probably do more, but there are too many things vying for my attention and I don't have the discipline to put on the blinders and just write.

I just simply want to write pieces that people enjoy. If it becomes a book, so be it. If I make money, so be it. For me it's about putting something out there that people look forward to, or want to read. I want to be annoyed by people spamming me with questions about when the next installment of my work is coming out.

That's all. It's that simple.

Or is it?

When it's just not coming for me, I give it time. I drive about 20 hours/week for work, which is plenty of time to think through my plot, characters, etc.

The problem is sometimes I give it too much time...

danr62

Sage
What part of "being a professional writer" are you dreaming about?
I think there are two things to want about it:
a) To want to write a book
b) To want to Have Written a book

Can you dream about Writing? Not about having written?

I want to write stories that people enjoy and make an income in the process. So yeah, there's probably more "have written" in there. But I cant reach that goal unless I discipline myself to do the other.

JSDR

Scribe
To the OP's original questions:

It never is "not coming" with me. It used to be "I don't have time to physically sit still and type out stories" so I solved that by getting up super early to Write for about 5 hours a day. (To me, Writing takes in the whole totality of creating or improving a story such as literally writing it plus editing, research, even Betaing.)

If you mean something like "creativity" or plot ideas or story ideas, again, it never is "not coming" but it was a matter of getting it down so I wouldn't forget. Solved that too. My brother bought me an iphone so I have a virtual "notepad" wherever I go.

I *have* tutored high school kids and helped new writers when they say they have "writer's block" or it's just "not coming."

My findings:
Everyone responds to the perceived blockage of creative flow differently. And the block can be caused by multiple things such as RL stress, work stress, sometimes lack of stress! I've found that often, it *does* help the people I've worked with to first visualize or conceptualize the blockage as something beyond their control. An outside force.

And I try to get them to think about what might be truly in their control and what they *think* is just beyond their control.

In short, it can be easy to "blame" an outside force initially and that's a good first step, but to truly get to the root of the problem might require reflection on how much one lets the outside force affect one's passion and goals.

(P.S. Few weeks ago I did a blog post on TEDtalks *as* inspiration to help one overcome the "it's just not coming" feeling. :) )