1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

For those searching for inspiration

Discussion in 'Writing Resources' started by Geo, Nov 23, 2017.

1. Geo

Geo Troubadour

Hello,
    so something like a year ago a friend of mine was in an accident and she had to stay in bed for a long time. Because she was driving herself crazy by the lack of things to do, she started researching about mythical beings of all types (monsters, gods, fae, modern, ancient, big and small). After a while, she decided to put all the info together in a website. So if you find yourself in need of a beast or a all mighty monster, or if you want to add a new race to your story, but you want to keep far from the common suspects, take a look at her website Fantastic Zoology: A Catalogue of Mythical Creatures
    There, you will find new creatures each week, and you can search alphabetically or by category (like habitat, abilities, origin, etc). Also important, most of the info she posts comes from sources not so easily available online, so there are tons of fresh facts about even the better known creatures.
    Personally, I'm happy she's back at work (we all missed her), but I'm also glad she has decided to keep her website. So go take a look, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

2. noob of the north

noob of the north Minstrel

Very nice website and easy to navigate, which is always a big plus. I really hope she keeps building it. I loved that she included the figure Völva/Vala from the norse society/mythology, because I'm finally working on a project where I get to use a Völva-ish main character, so I took it as a good sign that your friend included that, haha. :)

Geo likes this.
  3. CupofJoe

CupofJoe Vala

I love the illustrations. The wood-cut look works so well to my eyes...

Geo likes this.
  4. Geo

Geo Troubadour

She'll be happy to hear you like it... I'm sure telling her as soon as I see her ;-)

noob of the north likes this.
  5. ApaCisare

ApaCisare Scribe

What a great way to keep yourself busy while recovering!I remember making my way through Tolkien's The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrun while my Dad was in hospital post hernia surgery.

Geo likes this.
  6. Michael K. Eidson

Michael K. Eidson Archmage

Cool site. I would have been super impressed if I'd found hobyah listed. :)

Geo likes this.
  7. Oh, nice! That tbh sounds like exactly what i would do if i was stuck in bed for an extended period.

Gonna bookmark this

Geo likes this.
  8. Geo

Geo Troubadour

Hello,

My friend is really pleased with your comments (I showed her a few days ago) and she decided to prepare a Winter Holiday's special as thanks. This entry page includes only wintry creatures from remote regions.

So, if you want to get in the spirit of the season -MYTHIC STYLE- go visit the Mithical Creatures Catalogue Mythical Beasts | Belgium | Fantastic Creatures Catalogue from now and until January 6th to discover some very cold-hearted beast and spirits.

Ah, and Michael K. Eidso, she also promised me she will include the Hobyah really soon.