• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Forms of Address for Roman-Inspired "Aristocracy"

johnsonjoshuak

Troubadour
So in my new work-in-progress, I'm using a Roman-inspired style of society. The "nobility" or "aristocracy" are ranked as "Imperator", "Executor" and "Patrician".

My problem comes from trying to find a good way for the commoners to address these higher-ranked citizens. "Your Excellency" has so far been the leading concept, but I'd like to have some variety if anyone has any ideas.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
You can make just about anything work...
"My Lord/Lady", "Your Ladyship/Lordship" and "Your Honour" are vanilla candidates... for those at the bottom of society are probably not going to know or care about the polite/correct/accurate titles of those at the top. Any one, two or three levels above them are just going to be amorphous "Boss" and "Guvner"...

johnsonjoshuak

Troubadour
You can make just about anything work...
"My Lord/Lady", "Your Ladyship/Lordship" and "Your Honour" are vanilla candidates... for those at the bottom of society are probably not going to know or care about the polite/correct/accurate titles of those at the top. Any one, two or three levels above them are just going to be amorphous "Boss" and "Guvner"...

I was trying to avoid the vanilla forms of address, and it's more for how the mid-level of society and the internal forms of address between levels of the nobility. I might work with "Dominum" in some form.

Patricians could be addressed as Father, given the root of the word and the idea that they are 'fathers to their country'. Or you could just have them addressed by their ranks, as 'Yes, Imperator.' or 'At your command, Executor' doesn't sound too bad.

Patricians could be addressed as Father, given the root of the word and the idea that they are 'fathers to their country'. Or you could just have them addressed by their ranks, as 'Yes, Imperator.' or 'At your command, Executor' doesn't sound too bad.

I second all of this. I was definitely thinking that the commoners would say their ranks as well. Didn't think of the Father idea though, that sounds pretty cool too.