Forum Software Upgraded

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by Black Dragon, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Black Dragon

Black Dragon Staff Administrator

We have upgraded to the latest version of Xenforo, which is a state of the art forum package. Here are some highlights:
    • It is optimized for mobile devices. This is crucial, as over 70% of the traffic to our site is now from mobile devices. The forum is now as usable on a phone as it is on a desktop computer.
    • Full integration with Wordpress. This means that the blog and the forums are seamlessly connected, and people will be able to comment on articles using their forum identities.
    • Members are able to upload media directly into posts, and don't have to use the gallery to share images. That way, the gallery will be primarily for items that people choose to share there.
    • The portfolios feature is far more robust than it was previously. They are now more visible and functional.
    • An improved social groups feature, now re-branded as "guilds."
    And many more new features...

Xenforo is cool, modern, and fast. It will breathe new life into our community.

Please note that this transition is still a work in progress. There are some wrinkles to iron out as of yet, and more bugs will probably appear. If you encounter any problems, please let us know.

Thank you for being a part of our community.

Sheilawisz, Reaver and FifthView like this.
  2. Rkcapps

Rkcapps Mystagogue

Love the upgrade! Good job to everyone involved!

Black Dragon likes this.
  3. skip.knox

skip.knox Staff Moderator

Lookin' good! Kudos to King Dragon.

Black Dragon likes this.
  4. Foah

Foah Lore Master

I like it! Clean and easy, gj!

Black Dragon likes this.
  5. Tom

Tom Istari

Nice! A little disorienting at first after spending years with the old format, but I like it. Streamlined and easy to navigate.

Lunaairis and Black Dragon like this.
  6. skip.knox

Anyone else have a persistent "1" appearing over the Portfolios tab?

7. Black Dragon

Xenforo automatically adds notifications over tabs to indicate new content. So a "1" over the Portfolios tab indicates that there's a new entry. Likewise, a "3" over the Chat tab indicates 3 members in the chatroom.

8. Svrtnsse

Svrtnsse Staff Article Team

I had that for a while, but it's gone now. It remained even after reading the post there, so maybe it's a bit slow in updating?

9. skip.knox

Got it. It went away when I read the "Getting Started with Portfolios" entry.

SvrtnsseSvrtnsse, it may have been you were working off multiple tabs? I had opened a second tab for the Portfolios. The number went away on the second tab as soon as I read the entry, but remained on the original tab until I hit Refresh.

10. Devor

Devor Fiery Keeper of the Hat Moderator

It went away after I clicked on the post itself, not just the Portfolio tab.

It may seem like there are too many notifications, but in your account settings there is a detailed check list of what notifications you want to receive. Click on alerts in the top right, and then at the bottom where it says Alert Preferences.

Black Dragon likes this.
  11. Svrtnsse

Svrtnsse Staff Article Team

That's probably the case. Although it's different computers, but I guess the same theory still applies.

Just gonna try out the new user tag on Test Subject KnoxTest Subject Knox to see what the limitations are. :)

12. FifthView

FifthView Istari

For me, when using a tablet to read the forums, I had a menu button I could hit, then there's an option to mark all the portfolios as read. This cleared it up for me. I haven't been able to find the same menu options when using a PC however.

Edit: Found it. When on the portfolios screen, at the far right of the list of tabs/options above the portfolios entries there's a "..." which opens the option to mark portfolios as read.

skip.knox and Black Dragon like this.
  13. FifthView

FifthView Istari

When writing a post, if I click "Use BB Code Editor," I'm left with a place to write the post but no formatting buttons whatsoever. So I'd need to know BB code to use formatting.

I discovered this when I decided to click that option hoping I'd be able to find a strikethrough formatting button somewhere.

For that matter, the formatting buttons have shrunk in number from the old forum's available options. Am I just missing something?

14. Black Dragon

When using the Rich Text Editor, you will notice a + (plus sign) to the left of the Media Gallery Embed button (looks like a camera). If you click on the +, it will give you additional formatting options.

FifthView likes this.
  15. FifthView

FifthView Istari

Ah, thanks! I'd wondered about spoiler tags also. There's also a quote tag there.

16. pmmg

pmmg Dark Lord

Two issues, and that's might be it for me.

1), the red numbers indicating new content on the various tabs and kind of perma-showing the chat section. I think it is showing the number of users in the current chat, but I don't feel I need to be updated on that and would like to clear the number...

and 2) I notice the recent activity showed when I made a change to my profile, and it is showing updates when one user likes a post. I am not sure I want to broadcast every time I do something on my profile, and I am most interested in the stuff people have to say, not really the things that might get clicked on. I wonder if there is a way to filter it out, so the recent activity just shows new posts in the forum sections.

17. pmmg

pmmg Dark Lord

So far, I am going to say I am enjoying the new site. It looks totally revamped without losing the whole look and feel of the old one. If only other software developers would do the same.

Black Dragon likes this.
  18. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Dark Lord

Looks like a major leap forward :)

Black Dragon likes this.
  19. Tevaras

Tevaras Master

Good afternoon/morning/evening Black Dragon, very nice, I hope the upgrade went smoothly. It has been a few years since I have been on here (I got busy) and I also note the site now uses 'https': no more sending your password in clear text when logging on :).

Black Dragon likes this.
  20. Black Dragon

Welcome back!

Tevaras likes this.