• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Free online fantasy games?

Dragonie

Scribe
Does anyone know of any free online fantasy games I could play? I know about some online shooters/platformers/etc., but I don't know any that're in the fantasy genre.

morfiction

Troubadour
Lord of the Rings Online. Dungeons & Dragons Online. Both are owned by Turbine but use very different styles of play. FreeRealms is run by Sony. It's kiddie but very interesting.

Thursday

Scribe
Dark Sword is one and you can always check out places like BigFish and Gamehouse. They're either free or pretty cheap depending on what you choose and offer free demos.

morfiction

Troubadour
Dungeon & Dragons: Neverwinter Heroes is a facebook game you could try out. It plays kinda like Final Fantasy Tactics.

I haven't played it but Dragon Age also has a facebook game.

Centerfield97

Troubadour
Runes of Magic has been my favorite free to play MMORPG for a while now! Also World of Warcraft is free to play until level 20 I believe.

SeverinR

Vala
Perfect world(.com)
I have been playing for a few weeks.
Some items to buy with real money if you want them, but I have made it over 20th level without needing to buy anything.

flying elves(character class), flying mounts, venomaster-uses pets, very large world to explore. Don't worry about falling to your death-no damage for falling, and you can mountain surf(auto-pilot takes you along a mountain edge, you stop walking and look like your surfing.)

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I've tried a lot of the free ones and found them lacking. LOTRO and DDO, former subscription-based MMOS are good. Things like Forsaken World and Rune of Magic strike me as lesser versions of WoW, and WoW is bad enough in its own right in my view.

Guild Wars 2 is coming this year, and that won't have a sub fee (though you have to buy the game initially). Maybe that will be fun.