• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Free Writing Setup (Computer)

Steerpike

Felis amatus
For those of you who like to try writing software and find 'free' to be a good price point, I recently installed Ubuntu Gnome Shell Remix on my laptop (a free operating system). The installation went well and the operating system is nice and responsive. In addition, Scrivener has a beta version available free for Linux, and I can confirm that this works well with this distribution as well. If you're running the 64-bit version of the operating system, you just need to install the ia32-libs libraries before you install Scrivener:

sudo-apt get install ia32-libs

The Scrivener beta is available in .deb file. The operating system would not install it when I clicked on it, so I had to do it from the terminal using dpkg. I have since confirmed that gdebi works great with this operating system, so you can install it from Software, or by using sudo apt-get install gdebi. Then you can install the .deb file by clicking on it to open it.

The information above should apply equally well to Ubuntu and Linux Mint. It used to work in Crunchbang when that was derived from Ubuntu, but I haven't tried it since they tied Crunchbang to Debian testing.