• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Fresh meat

RTGerardson

Acolyte
Hi everyone.

I already knew about this forum, but never had any interest in registering. Stuff changed and I'm delving more seriously in getting some fiction actually finished. I mainly like to write fantasy, since I prefer creating things that are completely malleable to the greatest extent, instead of setting a story in an already existing world with rules I may not like.

For some detail: I'm a twenty-something from Holland, listener of music that includes people who tend to scream and growl more than they actually sing and if I would have to name a few books that have influenced my preferences and style, I would say Matthias Thulman: Witchhunter, Gotrek and Felix (both Warhammer Fantasy pulp, sue me), the Black Company, A Song of Fire and Ice (no, I don't like the series), the Quiet War (which is SF), the Lies of Locke Lamora, the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (which may have started out being SF and well, evolved into gods know what) and several Lovecraft stories. Also, I wasn't able to stomach more than 200 pages of the Lord of the Rings (though I enjoyed the Hobbit) and I stranded halfway the second book of the Wheel of Time cycle.

At the moment I'm reading Shadow Gate, a novel by Kate Elliot (who I have never heard of before that book) and I haven't read Spirit Gate (the book that came before it). I picked it up a few years ago and found it too tedious at the time. At the moment, I have a one and a half hour commute to work by bus, which gives me time to read it. It isn't half bad, but not the regular kind of books I would read (which isn't that bad, really). Before that, I read the Passage, which apparently is also being made into a movie next year (which is strange since I picked the book up for € 5).

So, there you go. :)

Xaysai

Inkling
Welcome to the Mythic Scribes!

I simply LOVED Lies of Locke Lamora, and it's sequel Red Seas Under Red Skies. Poor Scott Lynch got screwed writing such amazing stories and having them get so little publicity. I'd like to believe that he's going to crank out a few more books in the Gentlemen Bastards series, but it doesn't look hopeful, at least for the near future.

I also enjoyed The Black Company series, but couldn't get into The Passage : (

Good luck to you here, be sure to post some writing in the Showcase forums so people can get to know you and your style, as well as provide feedback in order to help you grow as a writer!

RTGerardson

Acolyte
I simply LOVED Lies of Locke Lamora, and it's sequel Red Seas Under Red Skies. Poor Scott Lynch got screwed writing such amazing stories and having them get so little publicity. I'd like to believe that he's going to crank out a few more books in the Gentlemen Bastards series, but it doesn't look hopeful, at least for the near future.
Sadly, no. part three is still in the making (even though the website doesn't even advertise it anymore, I doubt if it ever sees the light.

I also enjoyed The Black Company series, but couldn't get into The Passage : (
The Passage is hard to get into. You really need to wrestle through the first 200 pages before it gets interesting. But it does quite well after that. Just force yourself through it, maybe you'll thank yourself for it, or at least do so for reading the book before the movie came out. :)

Welcome to the Scribes, you write fantasy for the same reason I do, we get to make it up.
Exactly. :)