• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Gaiman recommendation?

Incanus

Auror
For purposes of keeping up on (relatively) current writing, I’d like to maybe read some Neil Gaiman.

Problem is, I looked at some of his books and none of them seem to interest me. I’m not into comics, and I’m not into urban fantasy. From what I’ve seen so far, this is about all he does.

First, has he written any other genres, or sub-genres? If not, is there a novel of his that is less ‘urban-y’ than others?

Maybe it’s just that his prime demographic is younger than me. Not sure.

I’ll try to be as open as I can about this, but it just might not be my kind of thing after all.

So, then, recommendations anyone?

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
Maybe try his short stories? He has a new collection out called Trigger Warnings. I have Neverwhere on audiobook now. I haven't listened to it yet, but people keep recommending that one and American Gods to me. I guess those are more urban fantasy style though.

acapes

Sage
Neverwhere is one of my favs but you won't enjoy it I think, due to the urban stuff.

But I'll second Philip's short story collection recommendation - I enjoyed Smoke and Mirrors.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
I recently read The Ocean At The End Of The Lane. It's contemporary, but it's not the kind of story I'd associate with urban fantasy.
It's got more depth and oddness (and it doesn't take place in a city), and Gaiman is also that much better a writer than most others I've read. It just feels like a good solid story.

Incanus

Auror
Thanks for the responses everyone. You folks are great.

I've looked into him a little more, and read a bit of "Bitter Grounds". To be honest, he's just not going to work for me. I really, really, really don't like his writing style. Not to be mean or anything, but it's more like a lack of style. The language is so 'every day' and bland, it could have come from just about anyone. Breezy and conversational is just not my kind of thing. The stories might even be fine, but the style prevents me from getting very far.

Maybe I'll just watch the movie version of 'Stardust'. At least then I'll be familiar with one of his stories without having to deal with reading him.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
Found the trailer even. I believe it was actually written as a movie, instead of being a movie adaption of one of his stories.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mythopoet

Auror

I've looked into him a little more, and read a bit of "Bitter Grounds". To be honest, he's just not going to work for me. I really, really, really don't like his writing style. Not to be mean or anything, but it's more like a lack of style. The language is so 'every day' and bland, it could have come from just about anyone. Breezy and conversational is just not my kind of thing. The stories might even be fine, but the style prevents me from getting very far.

Maybe I'll just watch the movie version of 'Stardust'. At least then I'll be familiar with one of his stories without having to deal with reading him.

Well, for what it's worth I think Stardust was very well written. I think he tried to have a more fairy tale-ish style in it and it worked pretty well. I tried to start American Gods and wasn't drawn in, but Stardust charmed me right from the start. I would really recommend giving it a go. It's not a very long book either.

Yes - it's not very flavorful but I particularly enjoyed that story for the way he plays with death and - ironically - flavor. The MC goes through a series of events and stops for food & drinks but everything (like his perception of life) is bland - except coffee. All he can taste is bitterness and as the bitter MC slips in and out of other people's lives this is all he tastes. I won't try to convince you to read something that doesn't appeal to you but what I found appealing about that story is how all of the elements really come together - the professor's paper, the taste of food, the jokes about ghosts and zombies... and finally the end. We (the reader) question whether the people he's in contact with are actually living or if they themselves might be ghosts but by the end we see that MC is not probably of the living ... or at least he walks away with a dead little girl. There's probably many ways to interpret this but I found the way he played with concepts of life and death to be engaging (if bland in style). Is he a zombie-zombie or a human-zombie going through the motions & trying to find meaning in life? Was he alive at all or was he dead the whole time? It's definitely left open.

The writing itself is very straightforward but that's kind of bound to happen with short stories in general.

:( Sorry you didn't like it.

What authors do you usually read? Maybe we can make a different modern recommendation for you.

Last edited:

Incanus

Auror
I recall now that I got Mirrormask through Netflix years and years ago. Didn't know it was Gaiman then. I don't remember precisely why, but I think I turned it off after about 15 minutes. Not working for me. (Still might try Coraline.)

I'm not totally writing him off yet, but it looks to be a lost cause. I think I'm just too old. Still, I appreciated all the suggestions. Stardust looks to have the best chance at this point, though it doesn't exactly excite me.

@TCC--I tend to like older stuff. Some of the new-ish writers I've enjoyed are GRRM (though not really new), and Steven Erickson. My fav by default is Tolkien but probably because I was in 5th grade when I read LOTR. It was the first novel I picked up to read on my own. It ended up spoiling me because there is nothing else like it--things influenced by it, but that's different. I like many, many writers; too many to list. Recently read Mervyn Peake for the fist time. Now, that's my kind of stuff--probably the polar opposite of Gaiman. A few others (in fantasy): Stephen R. Donaldson, Tad Williams, Ursula K. LeGuin, Fritz Lieber, Jack Vance, Clark Ashton Smith, H.P. Lovecraft. I like lots of classics, but haven't found any modernists I like (Faulkner is looking the best so far). Does all this help?

Incanus

Auror
I can't say I'm a Faulkner fan. Of the modernists, he looks like the one I'd like best. While 'Old man and the Sea' (as I remember) was good, I think I already dislike Hemingway.

In the meantime, thanks for trying to suggest things! Above and beyond the call of duty. (of course, my reading list is huge, and usually growing.)