• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Game of Thrones TV show (Possible Spoilers)

Just to preface, I'm reading the second book right now.

The TV show is good but man they sure changed a heck of a lot of character dynamics (even if just in certain scenes), among other things.

I understand that the source material has to be trimmed down to fit hour long episodes but I'm surprised by some of what they changed.

One in particular is Rob Stark and his mother. In the second book, once he becomes king of the north, his attitude really changes towards his mother, to the point where he basically dismisses her and sends her somewhere else because he's really started to get an ego. In the TV show he still remains close to her emotionally. Tyrion and Cersei, when Tyrion arrives to let her know he's the new hand of the king is another example. Her hatred for him is really toned down on the TV show during that scene. Also Stanis seems to be far less grim than how he is depicted in the book. Then you have Theon going back home and his sister is there, where in the books she's been sent somewhere else. Joffrey's cruelty during the tournament isn't nearly what it was.

I could go on and on but I think I made my point.