• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Game pitch

zazeron

Banned
A idea of a video game set in a world sized map using the outerra engine. It involves using mythology and fantasy to make a unique world. It is similer to skyrim in a sense that you explore and see an infinite number magical creatures. The difference is that it will not be set in the middle ages. It will be set in a industrial time with republics and places called nations but magic IS intergrated. The world is a lord of the rings experience in a sense. Combining the epic storytelling with The excitement of exploring a strange fantasy setting. It will be immense because of the outerra engine putting an entire planet at your feet(you thought traveling skyrim is hard). If this happens it will be a break from Traditional good versus evil featuring deep dramatic storylines in the game.

Sound off ideas and suggestions below

World building
Magic system
Stories and adventures
Ways to blend magic with technology
Etc

I'm not sure about blending magic WITH technology. I've never seen it done well, and the magic just ends up being a power source like electricity or steam. In my WIP I've tried to show ways that magic and tech could complement each other.

For example Mass production came to my world sooner than ours because of Golems. Golems could perform all the functions of an automated assembly line, with the added bonus of a rudimentary intelligence that allows them to problem solve. The drawback is that you can't run your factory during certain times or make certain products because of religious restrictions.

Same with mass storage of info. Wizards figured out how to grow crystals, and store information in the lattices of the molecules. Later with the advent of analytical engines working in concert with these crystals the storage and retrieval of information became much easier.

Just saying if it's going to be magic with technology then both halves need to be essential, not just "hand wave" it's a cannon sized magic wand that shoots harpies made of flame, and needs 90 seconds to "recharge" between shots or a Raygun that houses a salamander in the stock.

Let's do this! 3 races
1.Aetherians: Use magic with an ease that other races find only in breathing. Every Aetherian culture is built around magic and the magic specialty of that group/family/political entity. Cannot use technology.

2.Coggeard: Unable to perform even the simplest spell. most technically advanced race on the planet. Every Coggeard culture is built around tech advances, and compete to produce the next big idea.

3.Humans: get the obsolete tech sold to them by the Coggeard, and the least powerful spells taught to them by the Aetherians. Humanity's blessing is Adaptability, discovering ways to combine these "useless" things into new more powerful combinations.