• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Gary Con - my annual pilgrimage

To those veteran gamers on the forum, the name of Gary Gygax is probably familiar; but for those younger gamers as well as those weaned on video RPGs, Gary Gygax is the creator of Dungeons & Dragons and the founder of TSR Games (eventually acquired by Wizards of the Coast) and widely recognized as the father of role playing games.

Gary Gygax passed away in March of 2008, and in the wake of his memorial service Gary Con was born across the beer and game laden tables of the Next Door Pub where several funeral attendees had gathered to share fond memories and stories. At the time, it may have seemed but a high minded aspiration to hold an annual gathering to play games and remember the man who had touched their lives in so many meaningful ways; but 4 years later Gary Con is going strong thanks to the efforts of a core group of friends and family who have turned that aspiration into reality and grown attendance every year.

This year will be my third consecutive year, and I have found it to be not just great entertainment for someone who shares Mr. Gygax’s passion for gaming; but it is great inspiration for my writing as well.
If you want to learn more about Gary Con, please visit www.garycon.com

Hope to see you there!

Xanados

Maester
Sadly I was not around in the time of Gygax, nor was I in the time of paper n pen rpgs, but I do understand how much that man gave. Actually, that's not entirely accurate: I WAS but I just had interests in those electronic video games. I researched him a couple of months ago, actually. Very inspiring!

Edit: It would appear I have ascended to the rank of Scribal Lord!

Last edited:

Steerpike

Felis amatus
"The time of pen and paper rpgs" isn't really accurate. Pen and paper RPGs are still being developed and supported, and the player base seems decent wherever I go.

Hats off to Gygax. Let's hope 5e has something in it he would have liked.

Last edited:
"The time of pen and paper rpgs" isn't really accurate. Pen and paper RPGs are still being developed and supported, and the player base seems decent wherever I go.

Hats off to Gygax. Let's hope 5e has something in it he would have liked.

We can only hope. Having played a little in each of the editions, I have mostly reverted back to first edition with a couple of house rules which are similar to rules established in 2e. I understand the intent of the later rules, but I just think they take away from the player and put most of the emphasis on characters and rolls. It's Role Playing Games, not Roll Playing Games, after all...

Steerpike

Felis amatus
We can only hope. Having played a little in each of the editions, I have mostly reverted back to first edition with a couple of house rules which are similar to rules established in 2e. I understand the intent of the later rules, but I just think they take away from the player and put most of the emphasis on characters and rolls. It's Role Playing Games, not Roll Playing Games, after all...

Castles & Crusades is my favorite of the 3e/OGL games. Some nice, but lightweight, updated mechanics, and I can use all my 1e, 2e, and 3e stuff with it.

4e is an abomination :)