• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Getting Back Into It

The last time I sat down to seriously write anything was in 2019. My dream all throughout high school was to become a published author, and I wrote every single day during almost every ounce of my free time. But then I started college and lost some free time, and after I began to work my first serious job I had hardly any free time at all, and then my dad passed away and my writing came to a complete, grinding halt. Even my reading slowed. A book I could once devour in two days became a month-long ordeal. There just wasn't any joy in it anymore. Grief is funny like that.

It's been nearly four years now since my dad passed away. About a month ago, I logged into my Google Docs account with the intention of perusing over some old poetry of mine, and there it was: the fantasy novel I started years ago. I opened it, skimmed through the first couple of chapters, and then bizarrely scrolled to the very end of where I had left off, and started writing. I wrote ten pages. Ten! It was horrible writing. I'm so out of practice. My high school talent seemed to have withered away. I really was a talented writer in high school. I didn't see it then, but I see it now. The worlds in my head then were so vivid, and the words to craft them came so easily. Now the color is coming back to my mind. The worlds I abandoned have light in them again.

Forming the habit to write has been the hardest part. Going four years without touching a keyboard creates a sort of aversion to it. I'm hoping that, by joining this community, I might re-develop the love for the writing process, and not just the spark.

Thanks for reading my possibly unorthodox introduction.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Welcome. A long break is, imo, even harder to overcome than initial reluctance or uncertainty about writing. But you've locked on to the key: make it a habit. Spend the time, spend it daily.

I don't like that verb for this. It's not spending time; it's investing time. Your writer has been deep asleep. They won't wake easily and they're likely to be awfully grumpy for a while. Keep at it. You know you can do it because you've the evidence right there.

Meanwhile, take long strolls around the forums. This place is rich in resources.

Welcome. A long break is, imo, even harder to overcome than initial reluctance or uncertainty about writing. But you've locked on to the key: make it a habit. Spend the time, spend it daily.

I don't like that verb for this. It's not spending time; it's investing time. Your writer has been deep asleep. They won't wake easily and they're likely to be awfully grumpy for a while. Keep at it. You know you can do it because you've the evidence right there.

Meanwhile, take long strolls around the forums. This place is rich in resources.
Thank you for your response. I am really excited to dive into this place and explore. I feel like my inner writer is waking up, as you've said. It's exciting to breathe again.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I think I am pmmg on chess.com. Last time I was one it, my niece was chasing me all over the board.

Lynea

Sage
This is a bit late, but welcome! If you need encouragement or shoulders to cry on, we're here (in the chat, mostly), but also just in general.

šŸ˜Š

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
I went ages without seriously writing, then studied screenwriting at UCLA, then after learning a loathing for Hollywood process, opened my own business before coming back to epic fantasy, my first literary love.

Living life can only make your writing deeper and stronger, it's dying that makes it tough. Unless you're a lich or some such, then it's not much of a problem.

Welcome aboard!