• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Getting motivated to write.

So I know this sounds completely ridiculous, but I have a problem with actually motivating myself to write.

I have plenty of ideas that I would like to get out of my brain and onto paper, but I can't seem to get started.

Now I recently finished up my soccer season, which took a lot of time out of my weekdays. So when my days suddenly opened up and gave much more free time, I told myself I could finally start writing. The problem is, I just can't do it. I wrote an outline for a story I want to write, but whenever I have free time, I spend it doing stuff like this. Like right now, I could be writing, but instead, I've been looking through the forums, reading any interesting threads. I know that I should just sit down and open a document and write, but every time I sit down, my mouse just automatically finds some other interesting thing to click.

So, if you guys could offer an advice on helping me force myself to write, that would be great.

( And yes, I do realize that joining a writing forum, when I can't even get myself to write, makes me look silly.)

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
First of all, it doesn't sound ridiculous. Writing is hard. Creating something enjoyable on a blank page is daunting. We all second guess ourselves and our ability to get our visions onto paper and have them be worthy of a reader's time.

I've said this many times in other threads but I'm going to repeat it here because I believe in the idea so strongly....

You need to create a habit. Writing needs to become part of your lifestyle if you want to be a writer. I know that sounds obvious but it isn't as easy as it sounds. I think you realize that point.

You will need to find a way to make writing habitual if you are going to be successful. For me, I have a daily word count goal. I do not allow myself to go to sleep until that goal is met. It started at 500 words per day, increasing that total gradually as my abilities grew. There are very few exceptions to this daily goal. I only miss for an unavoidable event (like traveling for work).

I also track my daily performance on a spreadsheet. This helps me hold myself accountable as I can clearly see what missed days cost in terms of overall productivity.

Will this work for you? Maybe. Either way its important to understand that the underlying factor holding your motivation back is likely fear. That's okay, it's natural. Often we are afraid of failure. When facing something so tremendously difficult like writing a novel, who isn't afraid?

Creating a habit has helped me overcome that fear. I've learned over time that just sitting down & getting to work, whether or not I "feel" like it, is imperative to being a good writer.

I hope that helps.

Last edited:

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
Another tip that helps me, for once you get started... When you hit your daily goal, stop writing in the middle of something interesting, a point in the story where you know what direction you're headed in for the writing.

This helps me often because I don't have to sit down each night jarring my mind for that first sentence that will get it all flowing.

Stop writing in the middle if a sentence or paragraph and pick up there the next day. It's easier to be motivated when you have a running start.

Last edited:
Another point: just get started. Most writers find that once they do, the process often takes over-- even though it rarely seems to get easier to start, no matter how many times they've done it.

I call it getting back on "the scary bicycle."

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
So I know this sounds completely ridiculous, but I have a problem with actually motivating myself to write.

Totally NOT ridiculous. Lots of people share your problem. I use to have issues too. IMHO part of it is inexperience, not really having a firm grip on how to string together scenes to make a story. SO as a consequence you don't know how to start or where to begin. It's like being told to choose one grain of sand off a beach.

For me the first part of the solution started with the cliche phrase 'Just write.' Write without worry about it being good. Just push through and get a story finished. It'll be crap but the act of forcing yourself to finish something will garner you knowledge and experience that can't be taught or bought.

The second part of the solution came in the form of studying and reading about story structure. When I found these articles by Jim Butcher, it opened up my eyes. I flog them quite a bit here, but they totally helped me how to start a scene.
jimbutcher: SCENES
jimbutcher: SEQUELS

The third part of the solution came in a interview I heard with Neil Gaiman. He was talking about people constantly going up to him and saying they have all these wonderful ideas but can't find the time to write them down and the feel really guilty about it. Gaiman's answer was, and I paraphrase, why feel guilty? There's no idea police looking over your shoulder saying that you have to write your ideas down. There's no rule that you have to write the stories in your head down. So if you can't find the time to write them, don't sweat it. You are allowed to not write.

When ever I get into a rough patch with my writing, I think about what Gaiman said. I can always walk away. But I don't. This is what I want to do, so I do it.

VanClash

Scribe
Awhile ago, I had no motivational at all. When I was at school I would be happy when I didn’t need to do anything so I could write for the evening, but whenever I got home I would just go on the internet and do nothing. But in the past weeks I have got a serious habit of just writing after school so now it feels normal. I would heavily suggest just start writing at a certain time and force it as a habit. Other than that all I can suggest is music; when I’m writing, music really keeps me going.

JCFarnham

Auror
Just offering an example on how everyone is different. Unlike T Allen Smith I have to finish a scene before stopping. Almost every time I've stopped its taken me a day or two to pick it up again.

I suppose the difference here is that the above doesn't mean I'm not writing. It just means I'm not writing THAT story.

Write, write, write. That's the advice isn't it? Well I'm going to tell you something different. That advice makes perfect sense, but first you need to trust yourself. (for me) Forcing it when you don't feel it is a terrible idea (even if there's always editing). I found that I needed to spend my time browsing the internet, think about the craft rather than doing... I can't say it helped as such, but I know things become easier for me to handle when I have my game plan sorted out in my mind.

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
Yes JC is certainly correct, no one approach will work for everyone. The key is discovering what works for you.

Look at advice here on the forums, read about how famous authors you admire approach the idea of motivation, take a class, etc. Set a plan for yourself, whatever that may be, and give it a sincere effort. If it works, fabulous! If it doesn't, try another approach.

If you like writing books, I'd like to recommend Stephen King's "On Writing". It's not so much a book about how to write (although it does offer some nice nuggets) but his account of life as a writer. It's the only book on the craft that I've read more than once. I find it inspirational and it's hard to argue with his prolific commercial success regardless of what you think of the stories themselves.

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
For me a huge help was:

Allow your first draft to completely suck!

It's so easy to get discouraged and think that the total dreck I'm producing isn't remotely readable. Thinking "it's okay; it's only the rough draft" solved that problem.

Doesn't help much with editing, though...

KellyB

Minstrel
For me a huge help was:

Allow your first draft to completely suck!

It's so easy to get discouraged and think that the total dreck I'm producing isn't remotely readable. Thinking "it's okay; it's only the rough draft" solved that problem.

Doesn't help much with editing, though...

That's my problem right there. I am having a hard time shutting up my inner perfectionist. I've been wanting to write for several years now. Each time I try to start a story, I get a few thousand words written and then stop, thinking to myself "This is horrible, no one would want to read this."

I get plenty of ideas in my mind, but no one great idea. I think I've just been waiting for lightning to strike me with the inspiration for a great story. I need to find a way to push myself to just write something, no matter how bad it is so I can get that writing experience and learn from it. I also need to learn the art of writing a rough draft. My problem is I'm expecting everything I write to be perfect as I'm writing it (constantly editing myself as I go greatly slows me down). The good thing, however, is that each attempt has been better than the last. And certainly, reading this forum has given me lots of ideas on what to do or what not to do to make my writing better. I also think I need to start limiting my internet time - I've spent way more hours reading this forum and other "how to be a writer" websites than I have at actually writing something. I'm kind of in the same boat as the OP, in that I feel a little silly being on a writer's forum while I don't yet consider myself a "writer".

Well, it's been several months since my last attempt to start a novel. With NaNoWriMo about to start, I think I'll take this opportunity to try again. I signed up for it last November, but again only ended up writing about two or three thousand words before I stopped. I'll let you all know how it goes this year! :)

Helen

Inkling

I have plenty of ideas that I would like to get out of my brain and onto paper, but I can't seem to get started.

Now I recently finished up my soccer season, which took a lot of time out of my weekdays. So when my days suddenly opened up and gave much more free time, I told myself I could finally start writing. The problem is, I just can't do it. I wrote an outline for a story I want to write, but whenever I have free time, I spend it doing stuff like this. Like right now, I could be writing, but instead, I've been looking through the forums, reading any interesting threads. I know that I should just sit down and open a document and write, but every time I sit down, my mouse just automatically finds some other interesting thing to click.

So, if you guys could offer an advice on helping me force myself to write, that would be great.

( And yes, I do realize that joining a writing forum, when I can't even get myself to write, makes me look silly.)

You just need to go to Starbucks with the sole purpose of writing.

Everyday. Same time.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
I agree with BW. Let it suck. Tell the whole thing, write lines like, "Cherie was thirsty and headed to the local tavern." It doesn't matter if you do this and skip over things you intend to flesh out in editing. I often put things like this:

Priestess NAME threw the statue at Magnus, and the stone fragmented against the wall, showering him in tiny slivers of wings and limbs. THE PRIESTESS SHOUTS AT MAGNUS UNTIL HE LEAVES.

Magnus hurried from the temple, one goal on his mind, to find some quiet, and begin looking for HOLY RELIC in TOWN NAME, and regain favor with the gods...

I often employ placeholders or skip dialogues where I know what I want to say, but don't feel capable of writing the exact words. That frees me up to get my good ideas on paper, and often, when I'm doing some mindless task like folding laundry or gardening, I think of the perfect exchange to fill in that placeholder for the conversation, or another secondary motivation for my character's actions.

When I wrote my first novel I just wrote a collection of scenes, really. I put them all in order later.

A lot of good advice so far.

I'd just like to reiterate what has worked for me: force it.

Sometimes we think writing should be a lightning bolt from on high or that a muse has taken time out of eternity to grace us with their presence, but the truth of the matter is that it is a slog.

NaNo is coming--good way to practice slogging.

Don't get me wrong, sometimes the muse does come for a visit, but you've got to keep at it, and that means work. It's about as easy as it is to start writing as it is to start exercising.

Oh, don't tell me that! I might not ever start writing again! :(

I mean start and keep at it. I start and quit exercise programs all the time. The key is to make it part of your daily routine. Once it's habit, you will be writing without having to force yourself to do it. Otherwise, you're stuck waiting around until you are too disgusted with yourself not to write.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I'm in the camp that says if you write everyday then you'll be more likely to stay on a routine. I had my routine going for a while then I crapped out on it. It happens. The point is to recognize that it happened and then figure out what's going to motivate you again. I often say "Don't quit writing something even if it sucks." But if it's giving sky-high stress and is really giving you headaches, yeah, just quit it and do something else. No sense torturing yourself. I like the advice that Penpilot gave from Neil Gaiman. Nothing says you have to write every idea you come up with. But if you want to be a writer, you have to stay motivated through the ideas that you have.

I also really like Jim Butcher's articles Penpilot linked. Thinking of writing as scenes/sequels can simplify what is otherwise a terribly overwhelming process.

For instance, if you're swamped with your current WIP, you can make what I call "The Decision Hydra." This can be complicated, but it sort of works for me. I'll write about 8 ideas down and then go through each one and see how they work for progressing my plot. For each one that sucks, I cut off a hydra head. However, I'm aware that they may grow back, so I save those 7 "severed ideas" and then if they can be used to solve a different problem I'll try to utilize them again. Sometimes you have scenes, conflicts, or situations in mind but just don't know where they fit in.

I write everyday, whether it's an article, short story, part of a novel, a blog, something. I'm always writing. The problem is I don't have a regiment. That's about to change. I love T. Allen's idea of a spreadsheet to keep up with word count. I think that's an excellent, tangible way to hold yourself accountable. Since I found myself lost on my current WIP for the second (major) time, I'm going to have to pull out all the stops to get myself motivated on it again. And I think I'm getting there.

You can get there too!

My problem is I'm expecting everything I write to be perfect as I'm writing it (constantly editing myself as I go greatly slows me down).

The key there might be worrying about the whole range of writing issues all at once. That's serious multitasking, not easy for any of us.

One thing that might help is to pick one priority for a scene (or a book, or your whole style) to say "As long as I keep the suspense building (or the descriptions vivid, or the character basics clear) I can fix the rest later." For many people having just one focus is as easy as writing with no pressure at all, and for some it's easier.

You can also make lists of things to check later. Mixing up your village life or a few phrases running long aren't so bad if you can race through them now and know they're things you always get back to.

A few decisions like this can clear a lot of the way for the real discovery, of just making it happen.

Paddy Tyrrell

I'm experiencing the same problem even though it's my second book. Building up the habit of writing was essential for me with the first book. Now I have spent so much time editing and then getting my head round the technical and social media stuff involved with publishing that I have lost the habit of sitting in front of a blank sheet and creating!

I learnt before that trying to be perfect stops me doing it and it's better if I just plunge in and sketch out a first draft, however rough that is. One of the blessings of writing is that we have the chance to edit and improve and that rough draft will probably land up looking really different by the time you finish. So no need to agonise over it right now. Just have a go.

As others have said, we are all motivated in different ways. Some people like to plan the book in detail before starting to write while others prefer to see where the characters take them. I guess for me I need a reasonable idea of the main story and how it will end and that helps me think about what should come next in the story.

If you so have an idea of the story, it might help to skip the first chapter and begin with a scene that you really fancy writing about. The start of a book is always challenging and you will probably revisit the first three chapters many times before it's ready for submission. Good luck.

brokethepoint

Troubadour
In getting ready for my unofficial nanowrimo I have been outlining and thinking through the book. In getting serious about writing this book I am now at the point where I am waking up thinking about it. So I would say that sleep is a motivation.

...Oh yeah. That's crazy, man. I have no idea what that must feel like. >___>

Welcome to the horrible nightmare world of true writer's block.

Yep. Them's the symptoms. My sincere condolances.

This state you are in right now? I've spent, oh, two or three years like that. It's not fun. Also, it's apparently kinda rare, so most people have no idea what it's like.

I have been writing a lot more lately, but mostly fanfiction as a kind of therapy. I'm pretty sure it's a mood related thing that messes with my ability to get motivated, an it's gotten to the point where I'm going to have to try to get my doctor to prescribe some kind of medication.

What I'm basically saying is, if you find anything that actually helps in the long term, let me know. :(