• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Getting started is the hardest part

danr62

Sage
A lot of the writers I've run into in these and other forums started writing for fun at a young age. I started a couple of stories when I was in Junior High, and have done almost nothing in the creative department over the past 15 years or so. I have always loved reading fantasy and recently decided to open myself up again to those dreams of being a writer.

The problem is I'm having a hell of a time getting started. I've started outlining a story but I postpone actually working on it because I don't have any passion for the story as it sits in my head now. So, I'm faced with three choices. 1) Give up on this story and try to come up with a new one; 2) start from scratch with this story and try to approach it with a fresh mindset; or 3) write it anyway and see what I come up with and gain some experience.

What do you all recommend I do here?

FireBird

Troubadour
Since you said you have absolutely no passion for the story you have in mind right now, I would either start from scratch or put what you have on a shelf and try something new. In my opinion, if you don't believe in what you're trying to write there really isn't a point to it at all.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Go with option 3. Get at least a few pages down. It might not be very good, but it will give you something to work from.

Just pick a moment in the story, sit down, and start typing.

danr62

Sage
I should also mention that my outline is very sparse at this point and won't be hard to change at all.

In my experience, getting started isn't the hard part. Finishing is the hard part. I've got dozens of novel fragments (from back in the day) but only one completed novel (well, virtually completed; I'm on my last revision pass now. In fact, what the hell am I doing here?).

It's spending a year writing a novel without giving up that I have trouble with ;)

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
In my experience, getting started isn't the hard part. Finishing is the hard part. I've got dozens of novel fragments (from back in the day) but only one completed novel (well, virtually completed; I'm on my last revision pass now. In fact, what the hell am I doing here?).

It's spending a year writing a novel without giving up that I have trouble with

True of me as well, more or less.

I have probably half a dozen novella to novel length projects ranging from 20% - 60% finished (at least with initial drafts). I have a couple others I do have finished initial drafts for, but are in dire need of rewrites.

But...to start something new, just sit down and start typing. Once you get a ways into it, your outline will be clarified or irrelevant or both.

JBryden88

Troubadour

It's spending a year writing a novel without giving up that I have trouble with ;)

I think its a close one. (Also, I'm back from a hiatus :p)

Starting is the problem I know for me. Hell, I have to restart just my brainstorming let alone my writing, I'm that far behind. I think it comes in phases.

Starting is the first checkpoint.

Hitting the mid point is the next checkpoint. The middle of my first draft was a big challenge because I hit the "middle climax" and had to bring down the story a bit before the big rev up.

Getting to the end IMO is the easiest. Assuming you got started and ploughed your way through, I know I couldn't stop writing until the end was there.

If you don't have any passion and find it hard to even get started, why on earth would you torture yourself by trying to be a writer? Don't you know this is one of the hardest, loneliest, most humiliating, soul-destroying and competitive professions there is?

It's also one of the most fulfilling, rewarding and exhilarating things you can do during your brief tenure on this planet.

Love your writing! Cherish every moment you get to spend in your private universe - otherwise do something else.

danr62

Sage
Thanks everyone, this has been helpful. I think my problem is that I am overly critical of my own ideas/writing and just need to apply the butt in chair principle to get something going and work on it from there.

My favorite part is the world building. Telling the stories, doing the actual writing, is too much like work.

Bad news for all aspiring writers out there. Your first several stories will suck. If you have the talent, the drive, and especially the patience, you'll learn from your mistakes.

My advice is to start writing and keep on writing. If you wait for the perfect idea, you'll never get anywhere.

Another option is to try something different. I wrote for a while, switched to gaming, switched back. Creative people are going to create, the only question is what.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
My world building is minimal. I start with a notion of the world that is more or less vague in any given instance, and let it flow organically from the story I am telling.

Interesting to see so many different approaches. If we could all merge into one superwriter, I think we'd have all the bases covered.

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
danr62 said:
Thanks everyone, this has been helpful. I think my problem is that I am overly critical of my own ideas/writing and just need to apply the butt in chair principle to get something going and work on it from there.

Dan, you've probably heard advice like this before but I'm going to say it again anyway. Only because I believe it of vital importance.

You have to set yourself a daily word count goal... Block off the necessary time each day to do nothing but write.... Everyday... No off days. You have to hold yourself accountable to that goal whatever it is and sit at the keyboard until you reach that number. I don't care if that number is only 300 words a day. Set a goal, make a promise to yourself, and keep it.

If you can't discipline yourself to this level you just won't ever be a writer. You may be a hobbyist (and that's fine if that's your goal) but you will never be a pro.

The great thing about setting a goal & scheduling time is that you will train your creative mind to kick in during that time, focusing your energies to the story. For me, I write 3 hours every night. After the kids & wife are asleep, I'm at my desk writing until I hit my number. Sometimes it's easy and I fly by the goal and write until I reach a natural stopping point. Other times, it's more of a struggle and I barely hit that word count goal. Either way, I'm there until the promise is met. Sure, I'm tired every morning & yes I have a job to be at 5 days a week. There's always sacrifices for success. I'm more than willing to sacrifice sleep or TV time to follow my dream.

Lorna

Inkling
I'd go with 3, as you mentioned, at least you'll be writing and getting experience. Something might come from it, even if it's an idea or phrase. What you've got might set you up better for your next story.

JonSnow

Troubadour
A lot of the writers I've run into in these and other forums started writing for fun at a young age. I started a couple of stories when I was in Junior High, and have done almost nothing in the creative department over the past 15 years or so. I have always loved reading fantasy and recently decided to open myself up again to those dreams of being a writer.

The problem is I'm having a hell of a time getting started. I've started outlining a story but I postpone actually working on it because I don't have any passion for the story as it sits in my head now. So, I'm faced with three choices. 1) Give up on this story and try to come up with a new one; 2) start from scratch with this story and try to approach it with a fresh mindset; or 3) write it anyway and see what I come up with and gain some experience.

What do you all recommend I do here?

A few issues at work here....

First, if you don't have passion for the story, then don't waste your time writing it.

Second, you are CORRECT in thinking that just writing will be good for you, in terms of experience. My suggestion would be, come up with a new idea and write it. You will notice your writing improve exponentially after a hundred pages... and you may eventually go back and re-write it many times as your style grows. And once you get into the thick of the story, it will expand naturally as you think about it...hence, giving you even more to write.

You should come up with an idea that excites you (even if it is something as simple as a kid sitting in a tree chipping a block of wood into the shape of a dragon), and just write write write. You DO need the experience, but you also don't want to waste your time writing something you don't care about.

danr62

Sage
Thanks for the input everyone. It really helped me. Here's an update of where I'm at now:

Yesterday after getting home from work and school I knew I needed to stop dreaming about being a writer and start making it a reality. I trashed everything I had for the idea I've been working on and decided to start fresh with the basic concept for the same story. I managed to get out about 300 words of my story before I had to go to bed. I'm happy with what I came up with, even though it's probably dreckish and will need revising.

JonSnow

Troubadour
Thanks for the input everyone. It really helped me. Here's an update of where I'm at now:

Yesterday after getting home from work and school I knew I needed to stop dreaming about being a writer and start making it a reality. I trashed everything I had for the idea I've been working on and decided to start fresh with the basic concept for the same story. I managed to get out about 300 words of my story before I had to go to bed. I'm happy with what I came up with, even though it's probably dreckish and will need revising.

The first draft is always dreckish. You just have to keep writing. Especially if you are new at it, your prose will improve by leaps and bounds every time you write. Write a few chapters, and when you go back to your first chapter you will notice how much you have progressed, and you'll want to fix it. Its all part of the process of learning to be a writer.

Aosto

Sage
I think you have to have the passion for the story. For me, I know the story I want to write but what I lack is a world to write it in. I want to have a complete world, with history, geography, defined magic systems, politics, etc... I have never written a novel, or even a short story, however as I begin to build my world I start to see stages of the story. I begin to see things I want to write about. Now, to train my visual writing is another story. I'm going to start writing out 'scenes' as a friend suggested. I want to show you a story, not just tale you one.