1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Getting to Know You Thread

Discussion in 'Dragon's Egg RPG' started by Legendary Sidekick, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Legendary Sidekick

Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

I just wanted to create a place where we can share back stories about our characters and any other information you want to share. I would advise against posting technical stuff (numbers), but feel free to hint at stats as I will. Steerpike suggested that we don't post our alignment, which makes sense. It's better to role-play that without broadcasting the good/evil label.

Anyway, since I started the thread, I'll post my character first. (It's the same information that I sent Steerpike last week, but without the numbers. In fact, exactly the same other than numbers--I forgot to send him my alignment, originally!)

EDIT - Decided to play a female barbarian because Brynhild is like one of those gyms that doesn't allow guys, and when you're a guy, and you go in there thinking it's a shoe store that sells shoes to both men and women, you get all these funny looks. In real life, you walk away before you get slapped to death with women's gym bags. In fantasy, you change your character's gender and the goddess is none the wiser.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
    Phietadix, Ireth and Sparkie like this.
  2. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Name: Cadell Einion
    Race: Elf
    Sex: Male
    Height: 6'6"
    Eyes: Pale grey
    Hair: Ash blond

Class: Knight
    Attributes:
    - STR: average
    - DEX: average
    - CON: average
    - INT: average
    - WIS: average
    - CHA: average

Bio: Cadell is a servant of an elven Queen who dwells deep in an expansive forest; he serves her with undying loyalty, and has done so for more than two thousand years. Recently a large group of humans have taken up residence in a part of the forest, and being mistrustful of the elves, walled it off to keep them out. Reactions are mixed: many of the elves are openly antagonistic toward the humans, while some are more neutral, and others are kind. The humans do not provoke the elves, but will fight back if threatened.

When a horde of orcs numbering in the thousands threatened the forest and its inhabitants, Cadell was the one to initiate a truce between the humans and elves so that they could face their common enemy together, and he acted as emissary and messenger while the two sides prepared for war. A spy for the orcs went into the humans' midst, and on returning to report, he kidnapped Cadell and brought him before their leader. Cadell was tortured in an attempt to sway his loyalty, which failed. He escaped the orcs and returned to the Queen, resuming his duties once he healed. As war finally broke out, he led the elves' forces into battle alongside the humans; they defeated the orcs, though both sides suffered many casualties, and Cadell himself nearly died from a poisoned wound.

The truce between the races ended when the orcs were driven off and their leader defeated. Now Cadell is aboard the ship headed to the northern kingdom, as ordered by his Queen, and he is none too happy about it, having never been to the sea or on a boat in his life.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  3. Sparkie

Sparkie Auror

Good idea, LS! Here's what I have so far:

Name: Rydh Zwei (pronounced Reed Zway)
    Race: Half-elf (favoring elven lineage)
    Class: Cleric
    Alignment: Neutral Good
    Religion: TBD
    Eyes: Blue
    Hair: Blonde
    Height: 5' 9"
    Weight: 170 lbs.

Known Traits
    Str - I'll lift stuff, but don't ask me to arm-wrestle.
    Dex - By human standars, I'm alright. By Elven standards, I'm a bit of a klutz.
    Con - Ugh. Let's just say this is why I like healing spells.
    Int - I have a fully functional brain. Sometimes I use it well...
    Wis - ...But I rely on instinctive thinking. It's done wonders for me so far.
    Cha - I'm not repulsive.

Back Story

I don't always sleep well. Sometimes I have nightmares.

I dream of Mother crying out as the men cut Father down. I dream of her screams as they dragged her away. I dream of my sister, so young, weeping because of the pain.

And then I wake up. I pray. I strengthen my resolve.

I want to help people. I want to heal them. Help them laugh, help them love. I want to make the world a better place to live. I want people to thrive, and I'll work hard to see it done.

I'm journeying to a land I've heard is cursed. Whatever it is that afflicts those people, I'll fight it. And, if my God wills it, I'll win.

4. Ankari

Ankari Hero Breaker Moderator

Name: Ankari Fyremist
    Race:: Elf
    Class: Ranger
    Eyes: Black
    Hair: Black
    Height: 6 feet
    Weight 185 lbs
    Alignment: Chaotic Good

STR: Average
    Dex: By the time you finished thinking about drawing that sword, your hand would be severed. Is that what you want?
    Con: Average
    INT: Average
    Wis: I can hold my own with the wise men and philosophers of the world.
    Cha: Average

Back Story

Why am I here? I'm not sure. The druid speak in hushed tones of a storm on the horizon. A disturbance that crawls against the skin like the memory of maggots. They need eyes to discover and locate the cause of their ire. They turned to us and we answered. We serve as hunters of a nameless prey.

We gathered to receive our assignment. A grand affair unlike anything that has come before. The heroes among us received the honor of choosing their destinations. The experienced, yet nameless, rangers were ordered to head south into the harsh deserts or boiling jungles.

Then came our turn, those new to the cloak and bow. We were given a choice of heading north or going west across the sea. I hate the sea. Had I known the journey north also meant traveling by sea, I would have taken my chances with the western voyage.

Now I suffer the company of a flea-infested giant human, a crazy-eyed half-elf and a brooding ancient knight. Maybe if I jump, I can survive the swim back...

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  5. Phietadix

Phietadix Archmage

Name: Matthew Bladehawk
    Race: Human
    Class: Knight
    Hair: Brown
    Eyes: Gray
    Alignment: Lawful Good

Back Story

After expereincing slavery under a Evil master in the far south, I stole my masters horse and escaped north. I pledged to follow the full code of Conduct of the Knights and to Protect the weak.

Once north I found the land there was also ruled by an evil Tyrant. Luckily I was able to find someone to train me in the way of the Horse and the Sword. After one long year of fighting I finally overthrew the Tyrant.

I heard there was a ship headed even farther north, So I decided to see were adventure would take me.

Legendary Sidekick and Sparkie like this.
  6. Legendary Sidekick

This Ship Needs a Lady!

She's no lady, but here is an alternate character choice that I had been considering. The deity page pushed me to go ahead and play a female barbarian. Don't mind that I haven't added her weapon and clothing yet, but here she is...

[​IMG]

Sparkie likes this.
  7. Sparkie

Sparkie Auror

A Few More Details...

Rydh is a Cleric of Betula, the Elven Deity of Combat. Let's just say that he's a good healer, but more than ready for a fight. In fact, his God demands it. Once per year, Rydh has to pit himself in in single combat against a deadly foe. In other words, when Rydh says "Stand back guys, this one's mine," he means it.

Legendary Sidekick likes this.
  8. myrddin173

myrddin173 Maester

Hello everyone! I just wanted to show you the character that will be joining you when you reach port.

Name: Garthyr Tanglewyld
    Race: Half-elf favoring Human
    Class: Assassin
    Appearance: Blue eyes, dark reddish-brown hair, slender build, average height
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral (though he leans towards evil)
    Faith: Agapanthus

STR: average
    DEX: I'm pretty good at dodging stuff
    CON: average
    INT: average
    WIS: average
    CHA: average

Back Story:

Garthyr had an average childhood; worse than some, but better than most. That is until his home burned to the ground with his parents inside. That one event changed the course of his life forever. He was sent to live with his uncle, a high-ranking member of the enigmatic Order of the Moonblades, a cult devoted to the goddess of the moon Agapanthus.

His uncle may have been a higher-up but that earned him no special treatment as far as the Order was concerned. In fact he was treated quite poorly by the predominantly elven guild-members. That changed when he showed considerable potential for being an assassin.

Garthyr progressed quickly in his training. He is on his first solo Contract despite the disapproval of the more conservative members of the governing board who believe he is too young. They would like nothing better than to see him fail, so they have assigned him a Contract on a man hiding in the cursed lands to the north.

9. SeverinR

SeverinR Vala

Waiting somewhere in the darkness, unseen, and unheard is:
    Called; Aliron (Shadow walker) real name?
    Elven thief

Align. Neutral

Worships: Agapanthus, God of Moon

Str; average
    Int above average
    Wis slightly above average
    Dex: well above average
    Con average
    Chr; none to pretty

Aliron is a shy street smart elf. He is slow to trust; loyal to those he calls friends.
    His father and mother were nomadic thieves, travelled on more than one occasions with traveling shows.
    Dislikes and will never trust Dwarves. It was late, after a few drinks, the dwarves decided they didn’t want him and his family drinking in the same tavern. The night ended with the death of his father.
    He will not start a fight, he might even run from a fight, but he will never abandon his friends, returning unseen to slip a blade in the back of their foe.
    He wears dull dark brown or black clothing, with a black hooded cloak, the only thing to sparkle is his moon shaped necklace.

Garthyr Tanglewyld, I think I might look forward to meeting you, maybe even buy you a drink.
    You might find me at a quiet tavern in an out of the way dark corner table, close to a door.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
    Legendary Sidekick, Sparkie and Ireth like this.
  10. Phietadix

Phietadix Archmage

((As my previous back story was thrown together rather quickly I decide to post an updated one with more details and slight changes.))

My early life was hard. Though I suppose it could have been worse, I was a slave to Lutan Sela, one of many plantation owners in the south. I hated my life in slavery but I was also patient. I waited untill my master was away and his overseers busy then made my escape. I took one of my master's horses and rode north.

Once I was far out of the reach of my master I realized I had no idea what to do now that I was free. I eventually found my way to a temple of the god Tyr. I was skeptical about the gods; I couldn't understand why they let evils like slavery exist in this world. But the priests of Tyr were kind to me and took care of me for a time. I learned much in my stay at the temple, history, horsemanship, honor, and fighting. I pledged myself to follow Tyr and trust him for guidance and strength. As a servant of Tyr I set myself to a code of honor, that of the knights and swore to smite whatever evil I came across.

I then left the temple and headed farther north. I journeyed until I reached a large inland city called Fort Marwog. However it was ruled by an evil tyrant, Ralang, I gathered some support from the city and started a yearlong war against Ralang. After his defeat the citizens of Marwog wanted me to rule them; however I declined and left the city to one of my commanders, a good man and fine leader. I continued north continuing my fight against evil, until I reached a coastel city and heard of the city of Skilrind and its curse. I signed aboard the Baldnir and hoped to be able to free Skilrind from its curse.

Legendary Sidekick likes this.
  11. Nihal

Nihal Vala

Somewhere in the next days Mauve may be joining you.

Mauve

Race: Human
    Class: Wizard (shhhhhh, you're not supposed to know this!)

Eyes: Redwood-brown
    Hair: Black
    Height: 5'2"
    Weight: 104 lbs

You can see her here: - Stained - by *vielmond on deviantART
    When I drew it I got carried away by the music, she's not so regal and usually don't wander covered in blood.

About

Mauve is a child of the North. She rarely comments on her homeland, except when remarking how it's located in the middle of nowhere. Well, you may be able to infer some facts from her appearance.

A slender woman, she wields a short spear and never dons a true armor, preferring some old-fashioned - not really flattering - clothes and a fur-trimmed, battered red cloak. She got golden rings on her long, raven black hair, which is usually loosely braided and untidy. Her skin is fair, with a soft olive tint.

Three scars cross her right cheek, one of them going up to her nose, other, her forehead. It's her most striking feature - if you dare to get close enough to see them, of course - but not the only scars she got. They're jagged and don't look like if they were made by blade.

Mauve's serious semblance speaks of a reserved person and her stare is unnerving. Curiously, when talked to she's not so serious at all, her slightly low-pitched voice echoing jokes and sometimes odd phrases, all while she smiles with ease her characteristic almost charming smirk.

And that's how Mauve is. Who she is is another story...

12. Ravana

Ravana Istar

Hiljikki
    half-elf (human-favoring)
    Druid level 1

S: not so much
    D: average
    C: average
    I: average
    W: beyond her years… whatever those are
    Ch: beyond her looks… and those ain't bad

armor: hide
    weapons: shortbow, short spear, dagger
    other stuff: lots, a fair amount of it in Hirvi's saddlebags

reindeer (name: Hirvi), with full riding tack
    vihmakissa (well, that's what she calls it; name: Täplä)
    raven (name: Taevataat)

Hiljikki, as with no few adventurers, isn’t all that fond of talking about her past. She’s quiet, serious, and often seems more in touch with the local flora than with anything that uses language to communicate. Which doesn’t make her a wallflower. For starters, she spends most of her time in places that don’t have walls. Were it not that “elfin” describes her almost perfectly, no one would ever expect that she had elven blood; those who do are more inclined to think that she’s about one-eighth-elven rather than half-elven. Which, in fact, she may be, for all anyone can get anything out of her about her parents. Unquestionably, she favors her human side.

Her hair and complexion are both as pale as they get on anyone who isn’t an albino, though one look at her wide, bright eyes will prevent any possible mistake: they’re a vibrant blue… except when they’re a vibrant green. Sometimes they seem to alternate between the two simply with a change of angle, though generally lighting (and perhaps weather and mood) have more to do with the variation. Her five-foot-not-so-much, one hundred-and-less pound frame suggests a delicacy which is only reinforced by her features, fingers, and frame: she might easily be mistaken for a twelve-year-old… of either gender. The more so since her heavy hide-and-fur armor/clothing conceals so much of her that it’s hard to make firm determinations of any sort about her shape. And makes it quite a surprise when she opens her mouth to speak, or to sing, and a rich contralto comes forth. While she carries a small flute, and wields it proficiently, she’s more likely to be found chanting when she’s inclined toward music… which, among other times, seems to be every time she casts a spell.

While you’ve certainly heard of reindeer being used as draft animals–for sleds–you’ve never actually seen anybody ride one before. No doubt her size contributes to her ability to do so, as well as to why most other people do not. Antlers notwithstanding, the deer has been trained to react to combat situations by staying well out of them.

In addition to the reindeer, Hiljikki is accompanied by two other companions. One is a raven, which is nearby her so infrequently save when she wants it for something that it might easily be imagined she summons fresh ones whenever she wants a particular task performed. The other is a creature you’ve never seen before. It resembles a cross between a domestic cat and a weasel, though with a lushly-furred tail that exceeds its body length, it’s impossible to mistake for either. Its ears are also larger than a cat’s, and its face sharper. And it climbs better than any non-primate you’ve ever seen… and most of those as well. Its silver fur is spotted with rows of faint black, and the tail sports alternating rings of the two colors. She calls it a "vihmakissa"–whatever that is when it's at home. This companion is so persistent it is almost never away from her person unless it’s foraging, or unless she confines it to a saddlebag for its own safety. In addition to the “tricks” she’s taught it, it seems to have taught itself to “dance,” or at any rate to cavort to her musical accompaniment. Great entertainment on long, cold northern nights.

She seems to follow a particular deity. Unfortunately, which one it might be is difficult to tell, since she seems determined never to refer to him by the same name twice in the same conversation. (She does at least use pronouns.) Not all of the names seem to even be in the same language.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2017
  13. Legendary Sidekick

Were trying to hustle me? Hiljikki can beat Baldhart at Chess!

Baldy has +1 INT, Hiljikki has no bonus but has +2 to all checks as a racial bonus. The only way Baldhart can have the advantage is if she intimidates Hiljikki. But between the racial bonus, the charisma bonus, and the likelihood that charisma is your second prime, your adding 4-6 points* to your CHA check, giving you a 60-70% chance of rolling a 13+. So most of the time, my 'Intimidate' skill would fail.

*level: 1 + racial check bonus: 2 + whatver your CHA mod is

It's only a 1 point advantage either way, so effectively, tied d20 rolls lean one way or the other depending whether or not Hiljikki is intimidated by Baldhart.

14. Ravana

Ravana Istar

Oh, yeah, right. Guess she can. She just hadn't devoted any thought to that yet.

I said your INT was higher than hers.… :p

Yes, CHA is the second Prime. Only a 16, not an 18, but still pretty solid whenever you're trying to sweet-talk the bartender. Which she has to do a lot, to convince him not to card her. Not that she isn't old enough… we just ain't got cards, so she can't show one.

Here's a thought: we can work him together. I'll bat my eyes, you bat his head.

Then she'll let you try drinking her under the table. With your WIS, you'll stop noticing soon enough she's just sipping her drink.

And then she'll hustle you. :D

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2017
  15. SeverinR

SeverinR Vala

For anyone else that has trouble remembering whos who;
    Cadell;male elf knight
    Rydh Zwei:male cleric half elf
    Ankari; male elf ranger
    Mattew Bladehawk; human male knight
    Baldhart; female barbarian
    Garthyr Tanglewyld half elf assasin male (never seen this one...Have you?)
    Mauve; female human wizard
    Hiljikki; half elf druid female

Ireth likes this.
  16. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Good to know, but you're missing Aliron and Nod. ^^

17. Phietadix

Phietadix Archmage

Interesting that my you give my characters last name but not Baldhart's, Ankari's or Cadell's. ((Especially since Baldhart’s last name actually means something))

18. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Well, Cadell doesn't technically have a last name; Einion is another name he gave himself. It means "anvil" in Welsh/elvish. XD

19. Nihal

Nihal Vala

I've rolled so many bad numbers trying to cast that I'm starting to doubt about Mauve being a wizard.

(Aliron: Sneaky, hooded, smart assassin with pointy ears
    Nod: Little thing covered in blood, who like songs)

20. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Your bad luck with the dice continues to intrigue me. I wonder why it hates you so much?