• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Ginger, for those of us who have bad habits.

I've talked to a few people on here who said they "Can't Spell" or have "Bad Grammar" or "Horrible punctuation."
Well, I know how you feel.

I started using this program Ginger, it is really light so it does not take up a ton of space on my HD.
It is free to try, and I really love it. I ended up dropping the 70$ to upgrade to a full scale account, with the customizable dictionary, and the other bells and whistles that I've yet to use because they are for paid accounts only.
There is one function that over the last year I have found helpful, it is called simply enough "coach." The program makes up exercises based on my most common mistakes. This has helped me beyond measure.

With Ginger you can pick one of three options. 1- Free- Forever, you can use it, but there is a weekly limit on how much it will find and fix for you. I hit this limit a lot because ginger works anywhere I'm typing. Websites, word, email etc.

2- Basic- Most of the program's abilities are usable.

3- Premium- The whole program is there for you to use at will.

Now payment options are either monthly or yearly.
Atm the premium version is 60% off. So the whole deal is only 70$.

I went with that option because I know the value of the program. Anyhow, I just thought perhaps someone here might find the program useful. The one place ginger does no work that I have found is inside ywriter. I have to export back to a doc and then Ginger will do its magic.

Z Six Mystic

Dreamer
There is one function that over the last year I have found helpful, it is called simply enough "coach." The program makes up exercises based on my most common mistakes. This has helped me beyond measure.

Such interesting software, thank you for sharing! After reading more on their website, I like the fact that it's adaptive and works better the more you use it.

Addison

Auror
It's a great program, I've used it before. But after I used it and re-read I found that some of the corrections changed the voice of the story. It took out pauses, turned rants into calm snippy dialogue. I've found the best grammar and spell checkers are people.

Of course, humans are better than any program, but it does help. :)
Especially if your punctuation sucks big hairy bums. (Like mine)
I'm not ashamed to admit my shortcomings.

Shreddies

Troubadour
Grammar, the bane of my existence. On a side note, anyone know why it's called Ginger? Maybe it's just me but isn't that a derogatory term?

Ginger is sometimes used as term for being vigorous or lively. Similarly, 'Ginger up' means to impart vigor or liveliness. I don't know if that's why it's named that though.

Edit: I've also heard it in reference to a trick to make old Oxen seem young in order to sell them off at inflated prices. Said trick involves shoving a fistfull of ginger up their- erm.. Anyways, I'm pretty sure that reference is not where the name comes from.

Last edited: