• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Give me an "R"!

Incanus

Auror
I am an aspiring writer of fantasy whose middle name happens to begin with the letter R.

So here is my thinking: if I had a nickname that also began with the letter R, I could format my name as: <firstname> R. R. <lastname>.

My impeccable logic tells me that having two R’s in your name is likely to lead to great things, fantasy-author-wise.

I can’t self-apply a nickname, so does anyone have any ideas for a nickname that begins with an R?

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Once you find your nickname, don't forget, you have to do something to earn it.

Incanus

Auror
Ha! Thanks for indulging in my silliness, folks.

Once you find your nickname, don't forget, you have to do something to earn it.

Agreed. The name should have some kind of relevance. At this point, "Ridiculous" would be all too appropriate, and something already well earned long ago. But, the rules say I can't self-apply.

Rhinocerus is something I would never have thought of.
Randir has a cool sound to it; good one Ireth.
Ringo has been used before, but it fits in a way (his real name is the same as my middle name).
Romeo would be ironic--I'm pretty much the antithesis of what might be called a "Lady's-man".

Lo! I'm just one R short of impending greatness!!! All I need is one good R.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Doesn't have to stand for anything. You can write under a pen name, and it could be R. R. [last name].

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Somebody mentioned Rumplestiltskin. In Once Upon a Time they just call him "Rumple," and he's a weird enough character that I can see it being nickname worthy.

I mean, why would anyone just start calling you "Ronnie" or "Ringo"? That would just be weird.

Incanus

Auror
Of course, I'm not serious about this--just having a little fun.

But I do wonder about how to go about deciding on an author name. My last name is fairly unusual, but actually seems to somehow be appropriate for fantasy. My first name is Stephen, middle initial R. Now there is already a pretty well known fantasy author that begins with Stephen R. Doesn't mean I can't use it, but I suppose I could just go with: S.R. <lastname>, or Steve R. <lastname>, or just Stephen <lastname>. None jump out at me as the obvious choice.

Or I could just be J.R.R. Martin.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
Arrrr-nold

People will think you're either an Austrian, a pirate, or perhaps both.

I once considered using my username but decided against PP. That's just asking for giggles.

Incanus

Auror
I suggest Stephen R. R. Tolkienson :)

Now how cool is that? Smashing three fantasy writer names into one! (Well, I guess there's not much of Martin in there, but what the hay.) Might there be room for a fourth? Haven't yet tapped into hyphenated names...

Stephen R. R. Williams-Tolkienson.

If someone doesn't smack me soon, I'm liable to get even more absurd.

Incanus

Auror
Or you could just go with the first name. Like Madonna or Cher but just, simply, brilliantly, Stephen.

You know, that's kind of cool. I don't think I've seen a writer name like that before, though there well may be one.

Hmmm--

The Stephen. (Nah, better without the 'The')

The Writer formerly known as Stephen.