• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Gods, Demigods, and Whatever This Is

ShadeZ

Maester
So a demigod in Greek myth is a half human half God creature. So what would a child of two Demigods be? Would that also be a demigod or would it be a different creature altogether.

I'm not sure if there's an actual word for such a being. While the greek gods slept around a lot, I can't recall an instance where a demigod got together with another demigod.

From a genetics point of view it can be anything one the scale from a regular human to a full blown god. Assuming that gods and humans have separate DNA (they can crossbreed because magic...), then a demigod has 50% human and 50% god DNA. Cross two of those and you can end up with 100% human or god DNA again, or, more likely with a 50-50 mix again. Of course, if it's pure statistics then you end up with a 1*10^-14th chance of being a full on god or human. Which is not very likely (as in 1 in every 100.000 billion cases ends up with this perfect combination). Of course, if you add in "because magic" again, then you can have this happen because of special circumstances.

Of course, you could alter the outcome. If instead of completely separate DNA, gods have a god-chromosome, then your demigod-demigod child has a 25% chance of being a full on god or human and a 50% chance of being a "regular" demigod again.

Vaporo

Inkling
Reading the Wikipedia articles on Hercules's children, all appeared to be considered just spectacularly strong humans. Of course, those were all from human mothers too.

Someone can tell me wrong, but I believe that Greek mythology has a kind of "degredation of power" with each passing generation. The Titans are stronger than the gods, whatever came before the Titans was stronger than them, and the gods' children were usually weaker than their parents.

So, from a mythological standpoint I'd say that the children of two demigods would just be a spectacularly strong human.

From a genetics perspective, they would get 50% god on each side, so they'd also be 50% god.

From the perspective of a storyteller, it's whatever is best for your story. Personally, I'd probably go with the "degredation of power" idea in my writing since the children being a demigod has some annoying implications. Like, how long before the demigods overwhelm the regular human genetics with their obvious advantages and everyone is a demigod? It could be interesting to write, but not something I want to do right now.

Insolent Lad

Maester
I've been fooling around with this in my 'Crocodile Chronicles' novels. The 'Pretender,' Flawum (who usually hides away in his castle in the hills) is transported to one of the worlds of the gods and is, um, used by a trio of 'demons' there. Those demons are themselves demi-gods of a sort—the stock from which the gods of their world arose. Anyway, Flawum has divine ancestory himself thanks to a great-grandmother who may or may not have been raped by a Titan (the Titan swears it was consensual) so we have an interesting mix of genes. I chose to make one child (who may star in a novel to be titled 'The Titan Princess') fully divine. That is, able to travel between the worlds, switch between divine and human forms, and, of course, live forever. Her half-brothers didn't fare as well and are essentially demons with a few extra abilities.

Now, our girl is going to get involved with the Crocodile God's son himself, Zedos, who is also a demi-god (his mother being the retired Pirate Queen Qala). Zedos is powerful in a wizardly sense but he is no god. He is mortal. His divine aunts and uncles simply shrug and say it's the luck of the draw and there is no telling how a demi-god will turn out. If the two end up together (I haven't quite decided how that will play out), there is also no telling how 'godly' any of their children might be.

GIDEON

So a demigod in Greek myth is a half human half God creature. So what would a child of two Demigods be? Would that also be a demigod or would it be a different creature altogether.

By definition, Demigod + Demigod= Legacy

ShadeZ

Maester
Well and I guess the real question is what on earth would the powers look like? You have for example a kid who's mom is zues' kid and whos dad is posidon's so would the kid have sky and water powers? Generally their god half is why their so fantastic so a hybrid would be ideally a very powerful being but from no particular god's line of power but several.