• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Good Day fellow Mythical Scribes

Janice Ziems

Acolyte
Hello. I have decided to take a huge step and join a forum as I have become serious about writing a story. I believe talking to other like minded beings will help with any roadblocks I come across. I have tried writing stories on and off for 20 years. I welcome any suggestions or criticism. I am truly a newbie in most aspects though of developing a well constructed, solid story line. I have mostly tried picture story books in the past but have kept several stories in my head throughout the years. Thank you in advance for any assistance and I hope I will have some creative advice to offer to others.

Welcome Janice! So glad you found our little slice of the inter-webs. : ) Enjoy looking around and jump on in whenever the mood strikes you. Lots of great people here to bounce ideas off of and receive feedback from as well. How did you find the experience of writing picture story books? Do you illustrate as well? I've always imagined it to be like writing Haiku. It seems simple but requires a real ability to say a lot with few words (and pictures, of course) .

Janice Ziems

Acolyte
I’m really enjoying reading the different threads. So many people are truly creative. Picture books are difficult, but yes it can be a bit like a Haiku. I do not illustrate, but not for lack of wishing. The key to a good picture book is to trying not to talk down to children. My main problem though is that I have a difficult time thinking outside of the box. I have images of how I want a story to play out, but when I write it, it ends up being quite ordinary.

Ahh, I do think so many people sell children short on what they will connect with and they forget what being a child was like. Several of my favorite books each year are picture books that really just feel so alive to me. It's always a combination fo the art and the story. Books like, Journey by Aaron Becker, Red Sings From Treetops by Joyce Sidman and Birdsong by Juli Flett new among my favorites. Thinking back on those now reminds me that I'd like to write one some day too. :)