• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Good name to call a communicator?

caters

Sage
I have been working on my Kepler Bb story and I am now at the point where everyone is going to get a communicator.

There are 100 transported people and 7 family members in the same civilization.

I have been working on another book on the side about my Kepler Bb humanoids from birth to death including that they are semi-immortal(can die of everything except old age).

I made a cardboard model of the communicator and to be honest, it is a pretty rough model but it shows the basics of how these work.

First off, everyone is assigned a number and given a list of numbers from 1 to 105.

0 is reserved for Planetary Leader 1 who is on Kepler B#.

1 is reserved for Robin, 2 for Lisa, and 3 for Alma.

The other people are assigned numbers in order of purchase(not money per se but barter economy at this point).

The battery is powered by a tiny solar panel and during the whole day, until the night after a person purchases it the battery is at 100%. During the night is when battery power is used more so than can be made but during the day, even at high activity, it keeps charging until night again. If it goes dead, it has to be left by a window for some time before it can be used again.

Let's just go to 1 person from here to simplify things.

Let's say this person is Adria and she is number 15.

Now before she can use anything else on there, she has to put in her wrist measurement. This is because there is a retractable wristband that can fit on small children's wrists or big adult's wrists and in order for it to fit her, she has to put in the wrist measurement. If she puts in the wrong wrist measurement she has to call Robin to reset it to 0(completely retracted in).

Speaking of calling, there is a call button on the right side of this retracting wristband. The retracting space(space to allow retraction in and out) is larger in all dimensions than the biggest buttons(not much, just enough to retract without accidentally pressing any buttons). Anyway if Adria presses the call button, another retracting band comes out, this time with numbers. There is also an app that pops up on the screen showing call history and current call. Programmed into this app is a timer system when dialing. X seconds after a number button is pressed, if another number button has not been pressed within X seconds, it just dials that 1 digit number and the same logic applies to all N digit numbers.

There are a + and a - button right beside the call button and those are volume control. On the left side of the wristband are the on and off buttons.

Anyway, I don't know what to call this thing besides a communicator. I mean it is like a cell phone(communication) but also like a watch(wear on wrist). But communicator can mean anything from a person sending messages(literally sending them in person via speech) to a telegram to a smartphone to a superphone(nanotechnology(DNA LEDs, CNT(carbon nanotubes), etc.))

So what should I call this particular kind of communicator? Any suggestions?

Vaporo

Inkling
Anyway, I don't know what to call this thing besides a communicator. I mean it is like a cell phone(communication) but also like a watch(wear on wrist). But communicator can mean anything from a person sending messages(literally sending them in person via speech) to a telegram to a smartphone to a superphone(nanotechnology(DNA LEDs, CNT(carbon nanotubes), etc.))

If you just call it a communicator, people will probably know what you're talking about from the context. Most people don't need to send DNA sequences.

Now before she can use anything else on there, she has to put in her wrist measurement. This is because there is a retractable wristband that can fit on small children's wrists or big adult's wrists and in order for it to fit her, she has to put in the wrist measurement. If she puts in the wrong wrist measurement she has to call Robin to reset it to 0(completely retracted in).

Speaking of calling, there is a call button on the right side of this retracting wristband. The retracting space(space to allow retraction in and out) is larger in all dimensions than the biggest buttons(not much, just enough to retract without accidentally pressing any buttons). Anyway if Adria presses the call button, another retracting band comes out, this time with numbers. There is also an app that pops up on the screen showing call history and current call. Programmed into this app is a timer system when dialing. X seconds after a number button is pressed, if another number button has not been pressed within X seconds, it just dials that 1 digit number and the same logic applies to all N digit numbers.

I feel like you've seriously overthought this.

Now before she can use anything else on there, she has to put in her wrist measurement. This is because there is a retractable wristband that can fit on small children's wrists or big adult's wrists and in order for it to fit her, she has to put in the wrist measurement.

Why do they need to have an auto-adjusting wristband? Why can't they just use something like Velcro or the manually adjustable straps that have been used for decades? (centuries?) You describe this society as just starting out, so I would think that they would want to be fairly utilitarian, but they're already wasting time inventing things like self-adjusting wristbands. It doesn't make much sense.

If she puts in the wrong wrist measurement she has to call Robin to reset it to 0(completely retracted in).

Why do the need to call someone so important if they accidentally enter the wrong wrist size? It's hardly a colony-wide emergency. Just add in a "Change wristband size" button and be done with it.

Anyway if Adria presses the call button, another retracting band comes out, this time with numbers. There is also an app that pops up on the screen showing call history and current call. Programmed into this app is a timer system when dialing.

So the keypad is retractable? That sounds like it's just begging to get broken. Why not just put the buttons on the face and have a smaller display? From your description, this communicator isn't much more high-tech than a cell phone from the 1990s, so a big display isn't really necessary. I'd imagine that the whole thing could look something like a wristwatch calculator.

Programmed into this app is a timer system when dialing. X seconds after a number button is pressed, if another number button has not been pressed within X seconds, it just dials that 1 digit number and the same logic applies to all N digit numbers.

Why not just add a "send call" button?

Last edited:

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Unless there is a technological reason for the delay I don't see why there needs to be a pause after pressing someone's number for the "call" to go through. Okay, if the pause is not there, then Robin will get all the calls meant for 11, 12, 13, 14 ... but that is an easy fix. If you have 105 possible users then every number that connects users together will be 3 digits long 000, 001 etc.
If you need a keyboard, think about haptic displays. The small wrist screen could project a larger tactile keyboard for users to press virtual buttons. This technology is planed to be used on in car controls, so you don't have to touch the satnav screen, just get close to it.