• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Goodreads

Chessie2

Staff
Article Team
Any Scribes active on Goodreads? I recently dusted off my account with the intention of actually using it. Why have it otherwise, right? :) Anyway, if any of you would like to connect on there hit me up.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
I have an author account there, but I'm not active on it. I set it up a while back after someone actually added a ranking to my book. My thinking is that I could use it to see who among my friends are into reading and then pawn off free review copies on them once my next story is up for release. ;)

Chessie2

Staff
Article Team
I'll PM you my link. It's actually worth investing in. After reading an extensive blog post and a book about Goodreads, I'm convinced keeping up to date with your reading and profile is a great way of connecting with readers. I'm a member of a few groups and post a little, but I need to be more active. Anyway, link up with me there!

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
Will do.

I think that one of the best ways to market yourself is to be out there, be accessible, and interact with people on a personal level - or at least show them that you're a person too. I'm guessing that for writers, goodreads is a real good place to be accessible at.

Insolent Lad

Maester
I keep my author page up to date and post a fair number of reviews, but don't interact much beyond that. I also look after the author pages for a couple of other writers who 'don't have the time.'

Russ

Istar
I am not on Goodreads...but I will get around to it.

The feedback I have seen though suggests that advertising dollars and giveaways done there are a good investment. There are some tricks to maximizing it, but it is a good place to interact with readers and other writers.

Chessie2

Staff
Article Team
It's going to take some investment and patience but I'd like to start mingling with readers. Seems like a good place to get book recs, too.

LWFlouisa

Troubadour
Eh, the books there are decent. I can't stand the culture there. Booklikes is even worse. Although I do have an author account there, I seldomly use it.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
There are lots of different kinds of people on Goodreads. I'd be hard pressed to describe its culture. Can you give some details?

Chessie2

Staff
Article Team
There are lots of different kinds of people on Goodreads. I'd be hard pressed to describe its culture. Can you give some details?
I'm still learning Goodreads myself but it seems most helpful if you find like-minded others to mingle with. Connecting over books and discussions is fun. I've joined in on a couple discussions and have discovered new books that way. It's basically a social site where everybody is in love with books. It seems serious authors keep up their profiles on there, too. If it's worth their while...j/s.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
It's where I found out about Josiah Bancroft, which pretty much made the year worthwhile.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
I'm trying to understand. You can't stand the culture there. The explanation is that reviewers are a dime a dozen. Sorry, but I can't make that metaphor go anywhere. I'm not trying to argue or persuade you to some other point of view, I'm just trying to understand first how there can be a culture in such a fragmented place as Goodreads, and second what someone would find offensive there. This might help guide me in deciding to recommend the place to one person but not to another.

LWFlouisa

Troubadour
I'm trying to understand. You can't stand the culture there. The explanation is that reviewers are a dime a dozen. Sorry, but I can't make that metaphor go anywhere. I'm not trying to argue or persuade you to some other point of view, I'm just trying to understand first how there can be a culture in such a fragmented place as Goodreads, and second what someone would find offensive there. This might help guide me in deciding to recommend the place to one person but not to another.

Basically the groups are great, but like sometimes one minor ... lets say social difference ... can make one a target of some ... reviewers with a vendetta against you.

Although to be fair, Wattpad is even worse. But I already lay low with mental health issues waiting for the other shoe to drop, so to speak.:/

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Ah. OK, I get that. Trolls live everywhere, alas. One weakness of Goodreads is that anyone can form a group. This means most groups fail and fade, with only a handful of members and where years can go by between posts.

Worse, though, are the groups that succeed but are poorly moderated. And if that happens to involve culturally, or even personally, sensitive topics, the atmosphere can get poisonous and stay that way. I tend to sniff out those places pretty quickly and simply don't go there, but I can see a person getting blind-sided.

So, you've reminded me: if I recommend Goodreads, I should advise the noob to read through the group postings for a while and only join those that seem well run. Nobody likes to get bushwhacked.

Thanks for the reply.

LWFlouisa

Troubadour
Ah. OK, I get that. Trolls live everywhere, alas. One weakness of Goodreads is that anyone can form a group. This means most groups fail and fade, with only a handful of members and where years can go by between posts.

Worse, though, are the groups that succeed but are poorly moderated. And if that happens to involve culturally, or even personally, sensitive topics, the atmosphere can get poisonous and stay that way. I tend to sniff out those places pretty quickly and simply don't go there, but I can see a person getting blind-sided.

So, you've reminded me: if I recommend Goodreads, I should advise the noob to read through the group postings for a while and only join those that seem well run. Nobody likes to get bushwhacked.

Thanks for the reply.

Yea hope that helps. sorry for lack of clarity.

Chessie2

Staff
Article Team
Reviews come with the territory. They sting, yeah. But connecting with readers is worth the risk.