• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Got hammered by the flu...

Konrad

Scribe
Hey all,

I'm new around here, but about the time I started getting into the site, I went to visit my folks in Dallas and got smashed by the flu.

It's no joke. I've never had to deal with anything like this, and I've worked in war zones, caught all kinds of diseases, flus, colds, parasites, etc. They say if you are coming down with it, you can take the edge off with a Tamiflu shot within the first 48 hours. I don't know as I waited too long to head for the doc. In hindsight, I would have done anything to avoid what I went through.

Been flat on my back for two weeks. Ultimate misery. Temp of 103 and I'm just now getting around. Meanwhile, I'm weak as a rag, my vision is not what it was, and I generally still feel as if I had been run over by a truck.

Anyway, I hope no one else on the forum catches this thing--I know that is wishful thinking, but no one should have suffer like this.

K

Chilari

Staff
Argh you're contagious! Don't go giving it to all of us!

Nah I'm messing. Sorry to hear you've been ill. Flu sucks. I've not had it as bad as that but I did get (possibly swine) flu a few years back and was so drained that just getting out of bed to go to the loo tired me out. My fiance had it at the same time, but thankfully because it was summer and we were students, our housemates weren't around to catch it from us. Because it was the swine flu epidemic we were told not to go to the doctor (where we would come into contact with potentially vulnerable people), and since we're low risk (healthy young adults) we didn't get the rationed Tamiflu or whatever it was so just had to suck it up. I was laid low for about three days and only strong enough to go up to the corner shop and no further for a week after that.

I hope you're feeling a lot better soon and in the mean time find plenty on the internet to keep you entertained until leaving the house becomes an option.

Konrad

Scribe
Thanks guys,

I have to admit that this flu kind of shook me up. I probably should have gone to the hospital, but kept thinking, it's going to break, it just can't get any worse.

And it kept getting worse and worse and worse.

I'm through it now. Just very, very weak.

If you feel it coming on, don't fool yourself, that's all I can say. Get to a doctor at least.

K

Chilari

Staff
The problem with flu is at first at least it's very easy to mistake for a particualrly bad cold. By the time you realise it's flu the government is warning people with even a hint of sniffles to stay away from GPs and hospitals so it doesn't spread. Or maybe that's just my experience.

Here's my advice: don't catch flu during an epidemic. It's a bad idea.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
Here's my advice: schedule a job interview or two on days that you're pretty sure this epidemic will affect you. If you don't get a new job, plan on being really healthy when the epidemic is over.

(Great. The one time I catch myself following my own advice is when it's crappy advice.)