• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

got some covers

here are mine: Could use some feed back:

On Sun Dog Howled: Thinking of just renaming it "Howled" and not sure if I should put the author info on it (its a webcomic). but I could put it below and it should work.

On Super Violette: I like the top part, but thinking of putting a half mask on her face to represent her Super identity vs her self. (its a super hero book). also the bottom part is just like lame with just a black band across with the info. Things I like about it is if it was printed- I feel like it would pop out on a shelf-

any thoughts or critiques welcome. thank you for your time!

Attachments

• sundogwebblack.png
    sundogwebblack.png
    218.7 KB · Views: 15
  • SuperVCover1.jpg
    SuperVCover1.jpg
    281.9 KB · Views: 16

TWErvin2

Auror
One thing to do is to take a look at the covers in thumbnail size, like will be seen as potential readers search for books various places online.

Do the images, colors, catch the eye. Does the text meet the need.

I am not an expert on this, but do know that it's something to consider.

SundryHen

Scribe
On Sun Dog Howled: Thinking of just renaming it "Howled" and not sure if I should put the author info on it (its a webcomic). but I could put it below and it should work.
I absolutely love this one. And I think you should keep the title as is, it captures the curiosity more this way. And the whole cover reminds me of a grunge avantgarde artwork. Because that centerpiece with the cat and the title is so important and so good, I would suggest you lose the grey border. Also, if not necessary, you can remove 'A Shady Cat Story' as it doesn't bring much into the totality of the cover.

On Super Violette: I like the top part, but thinking of putting a half mask on her face to represent her Super identity vs her self. (its a super hero book). also the bottom part is just like lame with just a black band across with the info. Things I like about it is if it was printed- I feel like it would pop out on a shelf-
Again that same grunge feel, love this! And the V as it sits on I, and the message you're sending with that whole part. Very good. Imagery is the most important part of a cover. And I see that you love going overboard with words, so I would suggest removing the subtitle and making the entire Book 1 byline much smaller. Especially Book 1 part.

Hope this helps!

it does help- I agree what you are saying for sure. I have changed the title of the first to just HOWLED which gives it less text, and yea, I can cut the shady cat story part now that I took out the Sun Dog part. so its just Howled. that works.

I hear you on the wordiness. I had earlier drafts with less and i may revisit them.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
There's a lot of interesting techniques and skill on display in the layout of both of these covers. I don't personally like the two images, but that may be a style thing, I'm not sure. But I wanted to commend the design techniques.

Here is Howled less cluttered and with my name on it. I also hear you about the grey sides, but that is partially an artifact of the program I am using and just exporting from.

see the second image for the margins cropped (just an approximate crop).

then, realized that its better with a period at the end - so that is the third version (uncropped)

Attachments

• HowledCover.png
    HowledCover.png
    219.4 KB · Views: 2
  • HowledCovercropped.png
    HowledCovercropped.png
    167.7 KB · Views: 3
  • howledcoverv2.png
    howledcoverv2.png
    219.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
There's a lot of interesting techniques and skill on display in the layout of both of these covers. I don't personally like the two images, but that may be a style thing, I'm not sure. But I wanted to commend the design techniques.

thanks. interestingly enough one of the images is mine, and the other is by someone else. but I liked it and paid them for it so that sort of shows my style I guess!

I am working on the Violette one now and see what I can come up with.

ok slight changed on Violette: changed Uncertainty book 1 to be much smaller and matched it better to the author name. also made the black band smaller and let some color in below it. otherwise not much change! but I think its better - thanks for the help.

Attachments

• SuperVCoverv6.jpg
    SuperVCoverv6.jpg
    284.4 KB · Views: 1