• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Grammar for exiting a building

Lorna

Inkling
Hi, does anybody know which of these ways of describing leaving a building from a third person limited viewpoint is correct?

1) He exited his quarters and headed to the pub.
2) He exited from his quarters and headed to the pub.

I'm not great on grammatical rules but the first puts me more in the viewpoint character's head. In the second the 'from' makes me think I'm watching him exiting from an omniscient perspective. When I'm exiting my house I don't see myself as exiting 'from' it. Actually, I see myself as leaving my house.

Maybe

3) He left his quarters and headed to the pub

Would be the best bet?

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I'd go with number three, of the examples you posted. Of the first two, I'd use number one. The "from" in example two seems like a needless additional word.

JonSnow

Troubadour
Grammatically, any of them work. #2 has the word "from" which is completely unnecessary. I'd go with #3.

The entire reference to his quarters is unnecessary, unless the pub is also in his quarters. Tell the reader

He went to the pub.

and they'll assume he exited his quarters to do so.

Jared

Scribe
The entire reference to his quarters is unnecessary, unless the pub is also in his quarters. Tell the reader

He went to the pub.

I'd probably go with this. And if you wanted to add some character voice or imply relative location, you could add a modifier like up, down, over, across, etc.

He went to the pub.

Well, what if something stops him on the way to the pub? Then it's incorrect to say he went to the pub, and saying he went towards the pub when he's been established to be in his quarters sounds kinda weird.

I think Benjamin's got the ticket. Unless as Anders pointed out, the fellow is stopped on the way.

From the OP, I'd go with the third option as well.

Finally, although "exited" is rare, if this is your style then #1 would be the choice I'd go with.