• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Great Openings from classic fantasy

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Your first sentence may well be the most important sentence in your entire novel. Here are some first sentences from well-known fantasy titles from Tolkien, onward. Which ones do you like best?

I like the opening to The Summer Tree, The Black Company, The Hobbit, and Voyage of the Dawn Treader the best. The Gunslinger is also good. None of them are bad, in my opinion (and none of the books on this list that I've read were bad, either).

Great Opening Sentences from Classic Fantasy Novels

Hi,

I can't remember many first lines at all. Those that I do aren't generally fantasy. For example there's a Tale of Two Cities - "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times." And of course Hitchhikers - "Space is big, mind bogglingly big."

But maybe last lines are more important as they leave the reader thinking on what they've read - you hope. So from Shipwreck by Charles Logan there's - "And there on that rock by the edge of the sea, he died." And from Gone with the wind - "But tomorrow's another day."

Cheers, Greg.

Cheers, Greg.

Ankari

Hero Breaker
The Steel Remains is considered classical fantasy?

"One cannot raise walls against what has been forgotten."
— The Darkness That Comes Before, R. Scott Bakker

I don't think R. Scott Bakker can be considered classical either, but man, I love his writing. This guy has a rich world and his writing style is amazing.

"Lest anyone should suppose that I am a cuckoo's child, got on the wrong side of the blanket by lusty peasant stock and sold into indenture in a shortfallen season, I may say that I am House-born and reared in the Night Court proper, for all the good it did me."
— Kushiel's Dart, Jacqueline Carey

I don't know what the writer's definition of classical is, but I do agree that Jacqueline Carey's writing sucked me in with the first page. Her book was the first I read in FPOV. Amazing writer.

"There were prodigies and portents enough, One-Eye says. We must blame ourselves for misinterpreting them. One-Eye's handicap in no way impairs his marvelous hindsight."
— Chronicles of the Black Company by Glen Cook

I read Glen Cook because Steven Erickson credits him with setting in motion the gears in his mind. After I read the first book I went on a quest to find all the Black Company books. And it was a quest as a lot of them were out of print. Thankfully a publishing company republished his book with amazing cover art. Anyone want to read the godfather of grit, pick this guy up.

"Kaiku was twenty harvests of age the first time she died."
— The Weavers of Saramyr, Chris Wooding

I never read this guy but, after reading the first sentence, it definitely belongs on the list. I want to read this book!

Helleaven

Minstrel
They're mostly very good, but for me the best is "Kaiku was twenty harvests of age the first time she died."

This thread made me wonder what are your opening sentences?

Ireth

Myth Weaver

Mine really aren't anything special, especially compared to the ones in the article. :/

Winter's Queen: "Vincent smiled and leaned on the frame of his front door, watching yet another cluster of trick-or-treaters hurry away down the steps."

Summer's Pawn: "Ariel sighed impatiently and ran a hand through her hair, leaning against the wall beside the bathroom door and calling out over the sound of running water in the sink."

Low Road: "The stack of dirty dishes wobbled dangerously in Ólan's hands, threatening to fall and shatter on the packed dirt floor."

Bellringer: "Diana gripped the thick, coarse rope tightly in both hands, planted her feet and hauled back with all her strength."

Roc

Troubadour
Those are really interesting to look at on their own.

I know "To Kill a Mockingbird" isn't a fantasy, but I think it had one of the best opening sentences I've ever seen. It wasn't too great at first glance, but after you've read the book, it makes perfect sense and wraps up perfectly.

Jess A

Archmage
Those are really interesting to look at on their own.

I know "To Kill a Mockingbird" isn't a fantasy, but I think it had one of the best opening sentences I've ever seen. It wasn't too great at first glance, but after you've read the book, it makes perfect sense and wraps up perfectly.

I adore that book.

----

Does anyone else skim-read the first few pages when they pick up a book? For me, the first line is not the only important thing. I have a terrible habit of skipping to the middle of the book, too.

Helleaven

Minstrel
Mine really aren't anything special, especially compared to the ones in the article. :/

Winter's Queen: "Vincent smiled and leaned on the frame of his front door, watching yet another cluster of trick-or-treaters hurry away down the steps."

Summer's Pawn: "Ariel sighed impatiently and ran a hand through her hair, leaning against the wall beside the bathroom door and calling out over the sound of running water in the sink."

Low Road: "The stack of dirty dishes wobbled dangerously in Ólan's hands, threatening to fall and shatter on the packed dirt floor."

Bellringer: "Diana gripped the thick, coarse rope tightly in both hands, planted her feet and hauled back with all her strength."

Actually I think they're really good! I like the names of the books either! Seeing this topic made me realize that I should reconsider my opening sentence, bu yours are just fine in my opinion :)

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
Untitled 5/04: Old Mother Frost was surely asleep, it had been weeks since she had risen from her bed to shake snow upon the people of River Bend.

Untitled3/05:
The overcast sky seemed to diffuse every single ray from the sun, leaving the world cold and gray; not even the minstrel’s song could brighten it.

Untitled 8/05: Oren's belly rose and fell as muffled snores sounded from under the pillow.

Unseen Wisdom: Hooves pounded the ground, rumbling like thunder as four hundred mounted men galloped across the field.

Unspoken Truths: With his coat still lying in a heap on a pink, flowery rug, Jarren crossed his arms before him for warmth and thanked the gods the bitch hadn't thrown him out without his trousers too.

Sayan Soul: Smoke hung thick in the air as Roan cast his eyes over the looters picking through manuscripts in the library’s inner chamber while the west wing burned.

Dragon's Blood: The silence of the breaking day was disturbed by the rustling of leaves being picked up by the wind and the crunching of others under mercenaries’ feet as they trudged back and forth in the yard.

Warrior's Heart: Tracing her fingers over Aarin’s bony shoulder and into the front of his shirt, Aelith said, “If you stay, I’ll tell you a love story, one you will never forget.”

Written in Red: As Yvette toyed with a ring on her left hand, spinning it until the ruby was facing up once again on her bony finger, the saffron-colored silk curtains shifted slightly, telling her that she was no longer alone.

Untitled: A black velvet shoe, balanced perfectly upright on its heel, stood in the middle of a busy street, traffic passing it by without notice.

Untitled 2012: It’s funny how memory works. While some things, insignificant details, things you beg your brain to forget are burned into your mind, others you simply can’t remember no matter how you try; periods that are blank, events and answers sometimes painfully missed.

Last edited:

JonSnow

Troubadour
They're mostly very good, but for me the best is "Kaiku was twenty harvests of age the first time she died."

Current novel: He should have been chopping wood, but his hands were cold and he was still half asleep.

Reserved for later (early stages of an idea for a more comical type of fantasy in the vein of Piers Anthony): His black robes did not make him an evil wizard, for there were many other reasons.

Last edited:

Shockley

Maester
I don't necessarily believe in the importance of the first sentence, but only because my (current) favorite has such a weak opening line.

'Hari Seldon - born in the 11,988th year of the Galactic Era, died 12,069. The dates are commonly given in terms of the Foundation Era as -79 to the year 1 F.E.'

The first sentence, I think, is important in a world of television and video games. But as a whole to the value of the work, completely secondary.

Lawfire

Sage
A strong opening is less important to an established writer, especially one writing a series. However, the first sentence(s) are arguably the most important.