• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Greater than Giants?

King_Cagn

Scribe
Hello everybody, so here I am to ask you something that I'm thinking of implementing into my short stories. Anyway, whenever I think about the entirety of the world, I think of it on a global scale, even though some components I have might not even be added to the actual story.

Anyway, the idea I have - let me give you a bit of insight on the mythology first :

Once, before 'life' was even brought into concept, a species of massive beings roamed the earth, The Colossus. On average, these beings were 500 ft, titanic, intelligent but very slow and destructive because of their of their size. Religiously, It is believed that they are the embodiment of the Earth Mother herself and her purest form of benevolence.

The Colossus lived for some time, until the The First Godlings were created from the primordial "blood of the dead god". The Colossus began to be killed by The First, because their presence brought destruction to the first civilizations.

Godlings - if you're interested - are a sect of male warrior-abominations, their purpose in the world into bring balance to it. The other races, hate and shun them but (expect the elder races like elves) need their experience and knowledge to slay abominations, demons, etc. They're immortal, but can die just like mortals under the right circumstances. The Godlings of the current era are nothing like their predecessors, The First.

The First were godlike in nature, hence the name, due to their variety of abilities, the current era Godlings only have one ability hence the lose of significant prominence in the world, besides killing monsters. The First were the first and last of their sect to kill the Grand Eldritch Abominations, grotesque celestial beings that rivaled the Colossus in size.

With the last known Grand Abomination being slain 40K years ago by the mentor of the main protagonist. Now, after that the Colossus just... Well they just disappeared.

Now I know the idea sounds interesting-ish and whatnot but I believe I might have a problem with creating the Colossus. Though they're like The Grand Abominations, they really have no significance because they didn't even fight the Abominations in their era.

Also now that civilizations has gotten quite comfortable and the Godlings 'fell' from grace, they really wouldn't be able to stop one without massive casualties which they cannot afford.

I know the physics of it are absurd because when and if the return, the Godlings have always been about 6'0 in average height and they'd be going up against something that's 494 ft greater than they are.

Anyway, I want to get your input on this. Should I just go for it and see how it would play out and add in this awesome race, or just leave it and go, they were myth, didn't existence, there's no evidence on it?...

glutton

Inkling
Could it be that civilization has advanced enough that they can defeat the Colossi despite the Godlings being weakened? Also, a human sized being fighting something Godzilla sized sounds fun.

Hi,

Two things. First your godlings sound a lot like nephilim - and in the bible they were regarded as warriors / abominations and also described as giants. You might want to check out some of the lore about them.

Second, regarding the battles between the godlings and these colossal things - you might want to check out a 70's sci fi book called "The Demon Breed" by Schmitz. In it there was an alien race that was quite backwards. Those of higher rank were the smallest. They were brighter, faster and smaller. The larger members of the race were their servants. And the evolutionary reasoning behind it was that those of smaller stature could leap six feet into the air in the blink of an eye and destroy their larger cousins. So the smaller ruled and the larger lived in fear of them.

Cheers, Greg.

King_Cagn

Scribe
@glutton Civilization hasn't advanced much, it's only through the help of the magi - both The Sisthren Court and Brothers of the Stone that they have advanced because these sorceress an sorceresses utilize their magic to further the life span of humanity.

The world I've created isn't "nice", it might have unicorns, fairies and such but it's a very harsh reality all races live in. The Elves are plentiful but often find themselves losing lands and ownership to humanity because of the magical leap and military advancements. Humans equally have their own problems too and so forth.

Anyway, they once fought them and failed. Hence, The First.

@psyhcotick I originally based the idea off The Witcher an now that I look at it, a protagonist from another video game as well. Though Godlings aren't Giants there is probably one somewhere that can turn into one because no two Godlings have the same abilities.

Anyway, I'll look up your suggestions, thanks.