• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Greetings and Salutations

journeyman

Acolyte
Hello,

I found my way here from one of the banner ads, but I think I'll stick around. I hope you will all take good care of me. ;) I'm a voracious reader with a preference for fantasy, sci-fi, and the occasional mystery or spy novel. I'm male, mid-twenties, and have some college education. I currently work for the US Army. I play D&D and enjoy discussing logic, philosophy, and systems of any kind (be it magic, culture, plot structure, ect), so you'll probably see me posting on the forums whenever something catches my interest. If it comes up, I'm very welcoming of constructive criticism. In my line of work it pays to accept your errors and learn from them quickly. I occasionally try to write, but I usually get distracted by a new idea or another book that I want to read. If anyone here considers themselves skilled at short forms of writing I'd love to hear from you. I'd also be pleased to serve as a proofreader if anyone wants one.

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
Welcome Journeyman!

If you enjoy D&D, philosophy and magic systems, you'll fit right in here. :)

There are some members here who are great at short story writing (I'm not one of them). You'll figure out who they are pretty quickly, especially once you have access to the Showcase forum.

What prompted you to choose the username Journeyman?

journeyman

Acolyte
Journeyman is my handle on most boards. The term was introduced to me by a fantasy book I picked up on my first trip to a used bookstore. I forget the name of the series, but it was about a wizard who had graduated from his apprenticeship and was traveling around having adventures just sort of happen to him. It was book #4, something about a siege against a castle with a climax where the defending mage tries to "return it to the way it was" to repair the damaged walls, but accidentally creates a time loop. I loved it. It isn't a long book but I must have reread it at least three times that day. That is one of the first fantasy books I ever bought. I wasn't active online until I left home for college out of state, so when I picked a screen name I thought of it again. I had also graduated and was now traveling somewhere else to continue my education. The concept resonated with me. I've been fortunate thus far that it usually isn't taken.

Is there a problem or just curious? I appreciate seeing a response already, but I'm kind of spooked to have drawn the attention of an admin.

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
Don't be spooked. I may have a frightening avatar, but I'm a pretty easy-going guy. ;)

There was a short-lived science fiction series called Journeyman, which was killed after only one season. It was exceptionally good, and I was wondering if you are a fan.

ade625

Scribe
I loved the show Journeyman! It was a little slow at times, especially with the wife sub-plot, but it had great potential. It was a shame it got cancelled.

Anyway, to the none sci-fi tv show inspired journeyman, welcome to the site. I wouldn't worry about being targeted by Black Dragon or anything, he's just friendly. On this forum, admins aren't the looming authority that barely grace the boards with their presence.

EDIT: After seeing the rank beside my post, it looks like you might want to somehow get to around 25 posts and then stop posting, so you can be a Journeyman, journeyman.