• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Greetings fellow writers

I have been periodically working on a fantasy series for a couple of years (though to be honest, I scarcely remember a time the ideas were not brewing in my mind). I took a hiatus in order to sort out some of the sundry affairs life brings and to experiment with some other writing projects. I have returned to my favorite child with fresh eyes and have come to breath new life into it. My tale is now burning in my mind and I feel compelled to give my characters the respect they deserve by committing them to paper -thereby, hopefully allowing them to live on in minds and souls other than just my own.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm mad until a revelation hits and I remember that I am not.
I'm just weird ... and a writer ... which is basically the same thing. ;) Some of my greatest friends and foes are not real and I'm perfectly okay with it. I live in my own reality which is more often than not, barely reality at all. Like many of you, I use words to paint the vivid images in my head which, despite my best efforts, I perpetually fail to capture in any other artistic medium. I can say these things to non-writers but I fear they would never truly understand (thus the appeal of joining a virtual community).

I have searched high and low for a community that I could join without fears of judgment or anxiety of my own inadequacies. I am not looking for a group to coddle me but to challenge me to re-examine my works and perceptions (without being pretentious and condescending).
I am hoping that this is such a community and I look forward to getting to know some of you better in the months to come.

-Stephanie

Last edited:

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Hail and well met TheCatholicCrow [aka Stephanie]
Nice to have you here.
Share what you know and learn what you need.
Reality is over-rate...
Kick off your boots and warm your talons [those are talons, right?] by the fire...

Russ

Istar
Welcome aboard Stephanie.

I just read your insightful and thoughtful post on poverty. Very well done.

Hopefully this community can offer you back the same quality and commitment with your concerns.

And colour me jealous of someone living in California.

Thank you and I frequently get that (about California). I would love to experience real seasons. Where I am we get warm, hot, and REALLY hot ... it gets a little old after awhile but then I think everyone wants what they don't have.

Tom

Istar
Hi there! I really like your OP; I can tell you'll be a great addition to our awesome forums. We're all a little mad here...we're writers, after all! You sound like a very thoughtful person who knows her own mind and has a lot of knowledge and experience.

I wish you luck with that story! Hope you enjoy your time here and learn and grow from it. I know that the forums have challenged me and made me grow in ways I never would have otherwise--and continue to.

So, you'd like to experience real seasons? Can we trade? 'Cause I'm really sick of four feet of snow and the thermometer hovering around -2 F. I'd like some summer weather for a change--I've sort of forgotten what real heat feels like. :p

ArenRax

Sage
hehe im perfectly fine over here i the rain and sunshine. and it hasnt actually snowed more than 3 inches for like 6 years.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
Welcome to the forum! We're certainly a friendly and helpful lot over here. No fear of judgement, as you mentioned. If help and motivation are what you need, you'll certainly find it here!

I found this group a while back and it's been my main home for all things writing. The friendships I made here are years-old and I'm thrilled to have this support network. I hope your stay here is as beneficial as mine has been.

And yay for paper! We're a dying breed, those of us who use pens and paper, but I too am one. Of course, then the yucky job of typing begins at some point...I'm still not quite the typist I should be. I digress. welcome aboard.