• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Greetings from a world builder

Steven Green

Hi

I'm Steve and I'm a world builder. Well, sort of. I enjoy writing imaginative fiction, leaning more towards fantasy than science fiction, but I'm reasonably flexible.
I started a creative writing class a few years ago to see if it could help shape my ideas into physical text. It probably helped, as I'm still enjoying creating fiction. I did manage to get a short story included in an anthology of apocalyptic fiction but that's not where my main interest lies. Still, it was a nice boost to my confidence.

I tend to be a seat-of-the-pants writer, enjoying how ideas can take me on journeys. Of course, a disadvantage of this can be not knowing where to end. I have one story like that, currently put to one side but periodically reread, which always makes me think that it's worth completing. Another such story is a better candidate for completion as I do have a conclusion in mind. This is my main big project.

However, another writing thread came from an unexpected source. Despite my advancing years I found myself collecting the anthropomorphic cute Sylvanian Families models. Yes, the toys. I created a fictional village (Mellowdene) in which they live, developed characters, and started writing - and completing(!) - short stories, punctuated with photos, and publishing them on a blog. I have managed two stories a month for a year, and repeating characters and relationships are building a back story. I'm finding the process rewarding and good fun, and it reminds me that I can finish stories.

When it comes down to it, writing is writing. The Sylvanian stories also keep the writing muscles exercised for my main story...

For some time I've enjoyed popping into Mythic Scribes for the enjoyable and informative articles, so it's about time I joined!

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Welcome to the Scribes, but I see you've already been lurking in the halls, so I don't need to pitch how awesome is this place. Cheers!