• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Greetings to all!

WhiteRaven

Acolyte
I am so happy to have found a community of fantasy writers/readers! My love of fantasy fiction began with The Wizard of Earthsea by LeGuin, and The Hero and the Crown by McKinley, and The Prydain Chronicles by Lloyd Alexander. As a teenager I was enthralled by the Dragonlance series. I wrote fantasy stories and collected ideas for characters, plots, and even drew maps for my settings, all of which I stuffed in binders. In college I became an English major and specialized in medieval literature. However, life got in the way of imagination, as it so often does, and I chose to concentrate on my career as an English teacher (which I loved), and then became a wife and soon after a mommy to my two little ones. But a few months ago my little dragon muse found me again (his name is Midlife Crisis), and now I am back rifling through those binders where I started all those years ago. I have just finished my first complete fantasy story in 15 years (yes, it contains dragons)! I am here because I want to reconnect and get back into the fantasy writing and publishing "loop." I am far past the college days when I faithfully toted around my Writer's Market and dreamed of publication. Digital and "indie" publishing are entirely new (but exciting) realms for me. My quest is for advice and encouragement from writers who have lived their lives immersed in fantasy fiction, as I have done, as a reader at least. Thanks for taking the time to read my introductory post, and I look foward to getting to know my fellow fantasy fans.

Lorna

Inkling
Hi White Raven,
Love Ursula Leguin. 'The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas' is one of my favourite stories. I was a massive fan of Weis and Hickman in my teens. I too left fantasy behind for Uni and have only returned to it in the last couple of years. I'm also into Medieval lit- The Mabingion and The Ancient Books of Wales, particularly 'The Book of Taliesin' and the poems attributed to Llywarch Hen are amongst my faves.

Welcome!

WhiteRaven

Acolyte
Hi Lorna,
I also love The Mabinogion and the tales of Celtic mythology. Malory, of course, is a big favorite of mine, along with Wolfram von Eschenbach's Parzival. Both of my theses dealt with Arthurian literature. I think the best modern retelling of the Arthurian legends, for me, is The Mists of Avalon. The Dragonlance saga will always be my all-time favorite books and really the epitome of fantasy fiction for me. They permeated my entire high school experience. I'm so glad to meet another "returning" writer, and thanks for commenting!