• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Guild Wars 2

Chilari

Staff
So tomorrow those of us who pre-purchased GW2 will be able to start playing properly. I'm rather excited. I've played all of the beta weekend events and all but two stress tests (one clashed with a cinema trip, the other was early in the morning when I was getting ready for work) and I love it. don't get me wrong, there are things I don't like. Camera stuff needs work and it annoys me that A and D turn you and Q and E strafe by default so I've had to change it every time they're done a reset, but I've had fun while I've played and there are a number of features I really like, such as the ability to deposit crafting materials into your bank using the options in the inventory, and the "sell junk" option when talking to a merchant - it makes it a lot quicker to empty your inventory when you want to pick up cool things.

I also love the size of everything. At first I was intimidated by how utterly huge some of the cities are, but it's fun to explore and you even get exp for discovering new areas or finding points of interest, or finding a way up to a hard to reach location which has been designated as a "vista"; my favourite of these is the diving board one in Lion's Arch. Speaking of which I love that "old Lion's Arch" is underwater and to reach it you have to dive, and that other places like the canal channels around what was Duke Barradin's Estate in GW1 are still there.

I'm undecided about what to play as tomorrow. I like Ranger and in fact played as Ranger a lot on both Norn and Human characters during the BWEs, rather than trying out different professions much. I've played a bit of Elemtalist, Thief and Engineer and feel, in balance, broadly positive about all with probably engineer my favourite of the three - they're alright but I liked Ranger more. I didn't like warrior at all, but only used one weapon and feel I should give it a second chance. As for the rest, I haven't tried them at all. I really should.

The problem is I've now run out of time to test them, stupid me. And when I can start playing tomorrow what I want to do is get out of the starter areas as soon as possible and get into the higher level areas where I can get bonus exp from killing mobs that have never been killed before because I'm basically the first there (another feature I like). I already know I like human and norn best out of the races, followed by charr, though this is possibly more about their starter areas than the races themselves - I'm not fond of the enclosed forests of the sylvari and asura starter areas, I like the openness of the other regions more, and the beauty of the norn and human regions in particular (charr start area is cool because Ascalon, but rather dingy and unpleasant).

I don't really want to play ranger tomorrow because I've played it a lot already, so I'm considering either taking a gamble on mesmer or going with engineer.

So for others who have played the BWEs, what do you like about it and what do you dislike? What character are you going to roll tomorrow/tonight, and why?

Graylorne

Archmage
I got the game on the day of release. Waited playing till the first rush was over. Yesterday and today I played two long stretches. Up to now I’m pleasantly surprised. I’m a solo-player, my reaction-time is far too slow for grouping and I’m solitary by nature. Also, I’m a character hopper, so I’m not levelling very fast. I’ve a human warrior, an asura engineer and a syvani elementalist, all of them under level 10. I tried a norn and a charr, but they didn’t feel really comfortable, although the norn area is very nice.

I liked the engineer with his guns. Not fps guns by a long shot, more the 18th century sea dog pistols: press the mouth in your enemy’s stomach and pull the trigger-guns. The elementalist has nice strong fire spells, not only aggressive, but defensive ones as well. At low level, that is; don’t know how it plays out. I’m not sure about ranger. I’m a WoW hunter, very much a hunter, and this Rangers feels a bit thin in comparision. But that could well be me, ofc.

I do like those ‘flash-mob-heroics’, you can participate in or not, even a soloist want’s to do some things together now and then. Also the fact that you can resurrect a fallen player or npc (anyone, not only somebody you’re grouped with) adds a nice touch. It could add some helpfulness to the game.

Also that you can go back to a low lever area and that your own level adjusts accordingly is well done; no high levels spoiling your fun or stealing your loot.

Re. loot, everybody who kills an enemy can earn loot of equal value. And you can’t see what another got, so no jealousy either.

Negative points? Nothing terrible yet. Starting-up problems, like overburdened servers. Then you’re parked in an overflow area if there’s no room on your server, so you can play on while you wait.

All in all a nice game with a lot of well thought-out ideas in it.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I'm on Sanctum of Rall. If MS members are elsewhere and want to play together, I'll roll a toon on another server as well.

Ankari

Hero Breaker
I'm on Sanctum of Rall. If MS members are elsewhere and want to play together, I'll roll a toon on another server as well.

How do cats play GW2? You don't have the thumbs! You, my friend, confound me.

FireBird

Troubadour
I'm loving the game so far and none of my characters are over level ten either. I'm on Blackgate, at least I think thats what it's called.

lawrence

Troubadour
I would really like to play GW2, it looks beautiful, and alot of fun! My system can't handle it though, at least not above the lowest settings, and it would be a waste of all that lovely detail. If I am able to upgrade in future I will jump aboard! I played LotRO for a long time, mainly for the kinships social aspect, and I heard Guild Wars is quite strong on the community side?

Telcontar

Staff
My very own brother, who happens to be a medical doctor, called me up to rave about how awesome Guild War 2 is. The point was that I need to get it and play with him or he'll get it for me and make me.

This is a guy who has little enough leisure time (what with his job and a daughter: his wife is also a doctor and also plays the game) that when he decides to spend it all on one thing I know he's put some thought into it.

Long story short, I'll be getting it.

Chilari

Staff
My primary character is called Chilari and my secondary is Chilari Anx; adding Coronth will also get me because that's the character my other half created yesterday; I'm slightly annoyed at him for using the God Dommot Fronk version of his online name but whatevver. I'm on Whiteside Ridge, an EU server.

hyluvian

Dreamer
Another game I can't wait to jump back into when I get home! Got a chance to play it for a day or two while I was home on leave and loved it. I've always played a Tank class in every other MMO, but this time around I went with the Engineer - too much fun!

I forget which server I'm on... Frostridge Mountains? Something Mountains? I remember it sounding cold and snowy >.<.... Aldrnir is the toon's name (still a lowbie since I've been gone and haven't had a chance to play).