• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Guild Wars 2

GeekDavid

Auror
Just wondering if there's any other GW2 gamers here... if you are, I am on Northern Shiverpeaks server, and I am mostly playing an asura elementalist named Ryssc right now, though I have other characters.

If you're not in it, and you play online games, you really should give GW2 a try, and you'll have a chance to try it free from September 27-October 3. Just register at GuildWars2.com and I'll see you in the game that week.

By the way, if you're wondering about how you pay for GW2, they have a great way of doing it... you buy the game (currently less than $45 on Amazon), and after that it's completely free.

I can give more details about GW2 if anyone is curious, or you can just browse the website and the wiki for info. Be warned, the wiki does have spoilers, but most of the time they're clearly marked.

GeekDavid

Auror
I play on Sanctum of Rall. Happy to play with other mythic scribes members.

What's your primary toon? My only lvl 80 so far is an asura guardian (yes, I really like the asura), and I'm trying to decide which of my other toons I'm gonna get to 80. :)

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I have a level 80 Norn Warrior named Sultrie. I'm also trying to decide which of my other toons I'm going to level all the way up. I have an Asura ranger at 30-something and various lower levels toons in my other slots. Can you create toons on more than one server? I went to Sanctum of Rall because my guild from Rift went there (the server was named after a guild member who passed away (last name Rall)). The guild is quite active, so if I need help I have it. I still need to do the last instance to complete the story on my Norn.

Rinzei

Troubadour
I was playing, but when they started doing the fortnight updates, my old slow broadband had a fit so I got left behind. :( Now that I have fast broadband though, I've been trying out other games. I'll have to get back into it.

I'm on Piken Square - it's entertaining, as it's the unofficial UK roleplaying server. Keeps the atmosphere a bit lighter and jovial. I followed a group of players just walking around Divinity's Reach once, all in the same armour, before I realised they were roleplaying as a patrol.

I have alt-itis, so I have three characters on the go. Sylvari Necromancer, Human Hunter and Norn Guardian. You can see pictures of them here.

GeekDavid

Auror
I have a level 80 Norn Warrior named Sultrie. I'm also trying to decide which of my other toons I'm going to level all the way up. I have an Asura ranger at 30-something and various lower levels toons in my other slots. Can you create toons on more than one server? I went to Sanctum of Rall because my guild from Rift went there (the server was named after a guild member who passed away (last name Rall)). The guild is quite active, so if I need help I have it. I still need to do the last instance to complete the story on my Norn.

I'm actually not sure if you can have toons on more than one server. If I remember, next time I'm in the game, I'll ask.

If you do join Northern Shiverpeaks, I got a great guild... I'm a Veteran in it, which is one step below Guild Officer. :D

GeekDavid

Auror
I have alt-itis, so I have three characters on the go. Sylvari Necromancer, Human Hunter and Norn Guardian. You can see pictures of them here.

I know what you mean about alt-itis... I have all 5 regular slots filled... elementalist, guardian, mesmer, ranger, and engineer. All asura. The guardian is the only level 80 so far.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Yeah, one home server. But you can "guest" on another server with a toon. If we have a group from Mythic Scribes who want to play, I don't mind guesting on another server to do it. You just can't join WvW as a guest.

GeekDavid

Auror
Yeah, one home server. But you can "guest" on another server with a toon. If we have a group from Mythic Scribes who want to play, I don't mind guesting on another server to do it. You just can't join WvW as a guest.

That's too bad... if we were all on the same server we could create the Mythic Scribes Guild!

Rinzei

Troubadour

Is guesting actually up and running now? Shows how long it's been since I played!

Nihal

Vala
I've gave it a try last night. I'm not sure if it has been so long I've played any MMO (and I'm clicker-to-move), but some little things have been driving me crazy. Short, repeated sounds, attacks that should bring me to my foe but don't, mobs that use skills on me without any corresponding animation and just keep running around while ignoring me...

I've just started, so, let's see if I can get used to the game. ^^'

GeekDavid

Auror
I've gave it a try last night. I'm not sure if it has been so long I've played any MMO (and I'm clicker-to-move), but some little things have been driving me crazy. Short, repeated sounds, attacks that should bring me to my foe but don't, mobs that use skills on me without any corresponding animation and just keep running around while ignoring me...

I've just started, so, let's see if I can get used to the game. ^^'

There have been a couple of glitches with the latest patch, those might be the cause of what you're experiencing. I've noticed small things like sounds and animations for my own used skills not happening for a while after I hit the key and the effect starts, as well.

ANet is usually pretty good about squashing bugs as fast as they can, so hopefully we'll get another patch soon.

Nihal

Vala
Actually, one of the sounds that drove me crazy was the laugh you can hear at Norn starting places. It's a 3s long loud bunch of laughs playing every 5s. >.<'

Anyway, I've been playing a thief (seems an unpopular class, uh?) at Sanctum of Rall (I've picked because the name was stuck in my head, probably SP mentioned it before). I'm not sure about how I feel about the game yet, but I know the community seems to be really nice. It's been a time since I last saw a decent gaming community.

GeekDavid

Auror
Anyway, I've been playing a thief (seems an unpopular class, uh?) at Sanctum of Rall (I've picked because the name was stuck in my head, probably SP mentioned it before). I'm not sure about how I feel about the game yet, but I know the community seems to be really nice. It's been a time since I last saw a decent gaming community.

Oh, yes, GW2 has one of the best communities in gaming, and I think that the way the game is coded has a lot to do with that.

In a lot of MMOs, the first player to cause damage to a baddie gets full credit for the kill, whether or not he actually kills the baddie, unless they're in a group (as defined by the game). That tends to cause "why should I help this guy, I won't get anything for it" attitudes.

GW2, on the other hand, gives equal credit (and I think it's full credit) to anyone that does more than a trivial amount of damage to the baddie. That tends to encourage cooperation, especially on harder baddies that aren't hard enough to require a formal group.

Codey Amprim

Staff
Article Team
I used to play around release time. I got decently far into the game, leveling wise, before it just seemed way too difficult to do anything on my own. I eventually stopped playing, but I really did like what they did with world events and whatnot - it really kept the areas interesting and there was always something to do.

Rinzei

Troubadour

Thief is one of the harder (if not hardest) classes to play. Compared to some of the other classes, it's a more active playstyle. With some of the classes, you can just stand in spot and hit the hotkeys with the occasional dodge-roll - thief isn't meant to do that, really. It's meant to be constantly on the move to best utilise its skills. So, in that way, it can be more challenging of a class. But I guess that comes down to how you like playing. I'm a sedate player more times than not, so Thief's a bit too much thinking required for me. :) I may make the effort on it one day though. One day...