• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Hails from Denmark!

Hypervorean

Scribe
Hello folkses!

I'm new here (obviously). My name is Eli and I hail from the kingdom of Denmark. I have been writing fantasy stories since I learned how to write, and yet somehow I have managed to not actually finish anything, but is changing..

Up until recently I have only been writing in Danish, but now I feel that my English has reached a certain level and that there are things I cannot so well express in my native language, so I have begun working on an English novel as well. And so I thought I should mingle a bit with other English writers.

I hope this may turn out to be quite inspirational and constructive :)

/Eli

Welcome to the Scribes Eli. Thats an interesting thought, you're saying there's some things you feel you can't describe in Danish? Well I don't know how English compares in terms of range of words, but good luck.

Hypervorean

Scribe
Thank you.

Yes, well English is far the bigger language compared to Danish, but then it's not so much the number of words that matters to me, it's the things you can express. I find that I write differently in English, that I actually have two completely different writing styles now, bacause the languages and the culture behind them are so different. There are also things you can say in Danish that would not work in English. So, I do both - but primarily English at present.

Thank you.

Yes, well English is far the bigger language compared to Danish, but then it's not so much the number of words that matters to me, it's the things you can express. I find that I write differently in English, that I actually have two completely different writing styles now, bacause the languages and the culture behind them are so different. There are also things you can say in Danish that would not work in English. So, I do both - but primarily English at present.

Your English is good by the way. Enjoy yourself in the threads.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
Welcome. I applaud your bravery to write in a second language. HA I'm pretty fluent in German but would NEVER consider trying to express myself in it. So I tip my hat to you. No really, I'm actually wearing a hat right now. There you go, I just tipped it. I probably look stupid, but I'm at home so no one cares.

Anyways, welcome to the Scribes. I hope you find the support you need here to finish your work. More than a few of us re in the same boat.

Hypervorean

Scribe
Hehe. I don't believe anyone has ever tipped a hat to me before. I am very flattered!

But really, having English as a second language is not the same as having German for example. Everytime you are on the internet, turn on the tv, play some sort of video game - it is almost always in English. And I pretty much only read books in English, so, you see, it doesn't feel so foreign to me at all.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
True that. I guess four years of German are not the equivalent, but I recently started reading German children's books to my children to not only teach them but also improve my own ability. I wish more people spoke multiple languages in America.

Rikilamaro

Inkling
Welcome, Eli!

Your English is better than some of my fellow Americans. Kudos to you! Hope you're enjoying your time here at the Scribes. Let us know how we can help!