• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Happy Halloween!

Happy Halloween! I didn't dress up this year, but my kids went as Harry Potter, "Skull Dragon Ninja," the Flash, and Sofia the First. Lots of fun heralding three months worth of nauseating candy munching. Yay! :) :unsure: :sick: :p

Devor, I saw the kids in our small downtown going door to door to businesses for the annual Halloween trick or treat they put on here. My question is this, as a parent, do you feel it's less safe than it was when you/we were kids to go out at night trick or treating? Me, I think it's the trend towards the worst of stories filling up our daily news that makes parents feel fearful and I can't recall a Halloween where we didn't roam the neighborhood on our own (past age 12 maybe) and I wonder if the perception is that it has changed so much that it's no longer ok to let kids do that. And, I should add, we didn't live in the safest of neighborhoods then but no one seemed worried. Just curious. . .

Post pics of your costume, share stories, or your spooky greetings!

Blondie, I didn't dress up this year but here's a list of the past costumes I can recall from my grade school days on up.

Evel Knievel, Cornelius (POTA), Kwai Chang Kane (Kung Fu), Montreal Canadiens player, Shaggy from Scooby Doo, Ace Frehley (KISS), Ziggy Stardust, the Vampire Lacroix from Forever Knight, Nick Rhodes, Mick Jagger, Nosferatu, Rod Stewart, Nicola Tesla, Daryl Hall. . . but my fave had to be dressing up a dozen years back as Enik the Sleestak from the original Land of the Lost and making a full sized Matrix Table to bring along to the party. It was a 70's/80's kids tv theme party and my friend set me up in an empty walk in closet and I did my best to help people who came inside return to their own world or, at least, to sobriety before they exited. Everyone got a handmade matrix table crystal to take home too. That was great fun.:)

Happy Halloween!

Tom

Istar
Happy Halloween, all! Unfortunately I did not go out tonight, as it's cold and rainy here, with a high wind warning to boot. Hopefully next year will be more fun!

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Devor, I saw the kids in our small downtown going door to door to businesses for the annual Halloween trick or treat they put on here. My question is this, as a parent, do you feel it's less safe than it was when you/we were kids to go out at night trick or treating? Me, I think it's the trend towards the worst of stories filling up our daily news that makes parents feel fearful and I can't recall a Halloween where we didn't roam the neighborhood on our own (past age 12 maybe) and I wonder if the perception is that it has changed so much that it's no longer ok to let kids do that. And, I should add, we didn't live in the safest of neighborhoods then but no one seemed worried. Just curious. . .

For some reason in our neighborhood the kids go trick or treating much earlier in the day, like right after school. So we trick or treat at the shops first because nobody's home. Also, we live in the city, so these are the same shops we walk by on the way to school. We then went trick or treating over two or three blocks of homes and were home before 6 p.m. That's not what I remember doing growing up, but that's what's normal for this neighborhood. There are very few trick or treaters after dark, and people even complain that they bought all this candy and it was over before they got home from work. I don't know why that is.

*edit*

Nevermind, I know why it is. One of those shops is Lee Sim's, a chocolatier that gives out these giant chocolate lollipops to trick or treaters. They close at five. Also the kids wear costumes to school for events there, and like I said, we walk by these shops anyways on the way home. Put together I guess it's natural that trick or treating starts right away.

One of those shops is Lee Sim's, a chocolatier that gives out these giant chocolate lollipops to trick or treaters. They close at five. Also the kids wear costumes to school for events there, and like I said, we walk by these shops anyways on the way home. Put together I guess it's natural that trick or treating starts right away.

I'd have gone trick or treating at 8am for a giant chocolate lollipop! :) Yes, that makes sense, I do recall wearing my costume to school and then having to take it off and put it back on later to go out. That was when kid costumes were simpler. Nowadays with the amazing cosplay level of some outfits, you'd not want to have to redo the whole thing again hours later. I hope everyone had good fun and the candy larder is now full!