• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Hello all

Kevlar

Troubadour
Hello, I just found this site a couple days and lurked a bit before I decided you seemed like decent enough folks. I'm a sixteen year old kid that's been a fantasy writing hopeful since I was about eleven. My first drafts were horibble, a smattering of archetypical creatures, all the cliché races and magic splashed on alll the walls. As I kept going, and moving out of the YA I was reading at the time and moving more and more into the more mature themed things I read now (just finished all the paperback published Song of Ice and Fire, just now starting on Erikson) my world began to lose its magical beasties and plethora of races, down to a low magic world full of the nasty side of history. At the same time it grew in complexity and believability. Knowing that I'm not fit to judge my own works, and not exactly the most educated of writers, I came here to learn, and eventually, I hope, to share.

Argentum

Troubadour
Hey! Like the name! Pretty cool. Nice to meet you. Who wants to be 'thick skinned' when it comes to getting critique when you can have kevlar instead? Love it! Anyway, nice to see you around. This forum is full of decent folks.

Leuco

Troubadour
Hey Kevlar! Have you read R.A. Salvatore's Homeland? That's my favorite, and it seems to be really popular. Just wanted to recommend it in case you may have missed it.

Anyway, welcome to the boards and I look forward to checking out some of your stories sometime!

Kevlar

Troubadour
Hi guys.

@Argentum: Although I didn't notice it until a few months ago, the first three letters of my first name and the first three letters of my step-dad's last name, which I go by form Kevlar.

@Leuco: Yes, actually, I have 18 of the Drizzt book, plus the Sellswords trilogy on the shelf above my bed. While RA Salvatore isn't my favourite author in terms of story, complexity, or world (had no idea it was a D&D book when I grabbed the first) his battle scenes, particularily those between Drizzt and Entreri, are some of the best I've read. If I'm writing a battle scene and it seems like a peaceful sunset I reach for a random Drizzt book and flip to a random battle sequence.

Leuco

Troubadour
@Leuco: Yes, actually, I have 18 of the Drizzt book, plus the Sellswords trilogy on the shelf above my bed. While RA Salvatore isn't my favourite author in terms of story, complexity, or world (had no idea it was a D&D book when I grabbed the first) his battle scenes, particularily those between Drizzt and Entreri, are some of the best I've read. If I'm writing a battle scene and it seems like a peaceful sunset I reach for a random Drizzt book and flip to a random battle sequence.

I agree! Salvatore makes great research for fight scenes.

Sounds like you've read a lot. I bet you've got a great story to share one day, and I look forward to reading it!

Hello Kevlar. I feel the same way about things I wrote 10 and 20 years ago. People are always growing and changing and so does their writing style. Looking forward to seeing you on the forum.