• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Hello everybody

Been visiting this site for years and I thought it was high time I joined and actually participated a bit.

Don't quite remember how I got exposed to fantasy at first. Might have been Fellowship of the Ring or it could have been the Dungeons & Dragons cartoon. Either way, I've been hooked ever since.

Also have a great interest in History, both ancient and not-so ancient, and yes, I write.

Anyway, it's good to meet you all.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Hello Pemry James
Welcome to Mythic Scribes.
Hope you enjoy your time here.
You probably know what we are like and so that shouldn't come as surprise.

Saigonnus

Auror
So, you have the same sort of history as many of us here, myself included! Welcome and don't hesitate to dip your toes into the forums for whatever you may need. :)

PaulineMRoss

Inkling
Hi Pemry. <Waves> Nice to bump into you again, and I hope you enjoy non-lurking here.

You very modestly neglected to mention your recently-published book, 'The Living Sword', which I enjoyed and reviewed recently.

flicker

Minstrel
Hi Pemry, I'm new too and have been lurking for a while :)
It was the Dragonlance novels that got me hooked at age 11. And yes an interest in history definitely helps for world building!

Hi Pemry. <Waves> Nice to bump into you again, and I hope you enjoy non-lurking here.

You very modestly neglected to mention your recently-published book, 'The Living Sword', which I enjoyed and reviewed recently.
It's good to see you again. And I didn't want to give people the wrong impression.

Hi Pemry, I'm new too and have been lurking for a while :)
It was the Dragonlance novels that got me hooked at age 11. And yes an interest in history definitely helps for world building!
I don't think I ever read the Dragonlace novels, heard of them, but not much more than the title. Right now, I've finally broken down and gone back to reading the last few novels in the Wheel of Time series.

flicker

Minstrel
I don't think I ever read the Dragonlace novels, heard of them, but not much more than the title. Right now, I've finally broken down and gone back to reading the last few novels in the Wheel of Time series.

Well your brave :) I started reading 'Eye of the World' when I was 13! Got to 'A Crown of Swords' I think - but haven't read past that one. I don't think I'm quite ready to go back there just yet. Every time a new one was released I'd reread from the beginning - but to start all over again is a fair chunk of my life. Plus as much as I did enjoy the series I began to find the women a little irritating. Don't you find them all a bit bossy and similiar? :p

Yes, which is one of the reasons I stopped reading them. I got so irritated that nobody would talk to each other and make weird assumptions. I also skipped entire chapters of the last book I read because it simply couldn't hold my interest.

I am starting now from the first book Sanderson wrote and I'm not even going to try and read Knife of Dreams. So far, it's a good read. Like the first books, things happen.

flicker

Minstrel
Hehe - yes I know what you mean. I just remember feeling somewhat sorry for Rand going crazy with three bossy wifes! Or perhaps that wasn't what drove him to distraction - I can't remember :p I think I may have skipped over some of the overly long descriptions of brocading and women's clothing! But truthfully it was a while ago that I read those books. Perhaps if I re-read them I'd feel differently - although I'd probably be more critical now since I started writing myself not that long ago :)

You're a published author? Did you find it a difficult journey to get published? - I hope you don't mind me asking. :)

I self-published, so the journey wasn't that hard. It took time, more than anything else, a lot of it. But I learned a lot so the next one should be quicker.

I actually didn't mind his three wifes, I didn't think them overly bossy. And I would say you should try them again, just finished The Gathering Storm and it left me wanting to read more.