• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Hello from a fantasy and power metal enthusiast

I've dabbled in writing for over a decade, and I've hit a point where I want to get serious about it. I'm in the process of planning out a work I've tentatively titled The Fleshborn Gods set in a non-industrial post apocalypse brought about via nuclear cataclysm. Several centuries later, a timid boy-king - urged by what he believes to be the voice of his deceased mother - rises within the dying lands, seeking to conquer other nations in the name of facing impending crises under one banner, and in so doing become the living avatar of the gods described in holy writ.

On the one hand, he adopts a larger-than-life, bombastic persona...

"I've been chosen by heaven! Say my name when you pray! To the skies, see Carolus rise!"

...but in private, he remains the wounded child he was when he took the throne.

"Mother can you hold me one more time again? Whisper 'I still love you' in my ear... Mother did you lie? Would you tell me why there is something deeper that I fear?"

I take inspiration from music. I love anything that draws from history and mythology and packs enough power to sweep me into visions of elaborate stories like the best novels can. My favorite bands at the moment are Blind Guardian, Sabaton, Avantasia, and Kamelot, but I'm always rotating new bands into the mix, and sometimes I'll pick a song at random and treat it like a writing prompt. (For example, I wrote a Faustian elf rogue around Kamelot's Moonlight)

I'm a big gamer (though more retro than modern). I'd love to get into tabletop roleplaying, but haven't found a good group (or I've found groups when I've had no control over my schedule). I've made a point of reading more books - particularly fantasy - the closer I've come to getting serious about writing. My reading list this year has been comprised of The Lies of Locke Lamora, The Name of the Wind, The Mistborn, Discworld, and short stories by Patricia A. McKillip. I love superheroes done well - like in Netflix's Daredevil - but I'm not a big comic fan, though I'd like to be, and I'd like to write for graphic novels someday.

I'm looking forward to getting to know you fine folks, and bouncing ideas back and forth when I've got material to show. It's a pleasure to meet you all.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Hail and well met mythandrevelry
Get your inspiration where you can, is what I say. Mine is from walking or cycling, being alone with my thoughts.
Leap on in when you feel the influence come across you.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
Welcome!

This is a fun place. Gamers, writers, fantasy, chatty folks who like to talk endlessly about all of the above...

Hope you find the kinds of things that inspire you.