• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Hello from a teacher

Stepgingerly

Dreamer
Hi everyone,

I'm here to learn and find a way to pull myself out of a writing hole. I have drafted a couple of books and outlined a third, but with teaching full time, it's taken me too long. The starting and stopping has made my second book a hot mess.

I hope to find more of a balance in my writing/teaching/mom life. (Suggestions and encouragement are very welcome!) I've driven long distances in the past for in-person writing groups that were great. I hope to find that camaraderie and push toward accountability here, so I can finally finish my WIP.

I'm looking forward to browsing the forums and being part of the group!

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Howdy Step Gingerly. Welcome here.

I would drive far for a writers group, but so far I have not.

And step boldly.

Find a process that works for you. For most people the best approach is to write a little each day. When you sit down to write, don't aim to write a novel. Aim to write 500 words, or for 30 minutes or something like that. It's a lot easier to find half an hour each day to write than it is to find a uninterupted stretch of 4 hours. And if you write each day the story stays fresh in your mind. 500 words a day gets you 150.000 words in a year, which is a good sized fantasy novel. Little bits add up..

I personally wouldn't drive long distances for a writing group. At least not on a daily basis. Maybe once a week or once every other week if it gets me useful feedback. But a half hour drive one way is a whole hour I could have otherwise spent writing.

If you're looking for accountability, you could see if there are online writing groups you can join. It's basically someone streaming on Youtube or Twitch where everyone just shows up and writes. They can be good fun if you find a nice group of people.

Hello, Step Gingerly. I am new here as well and in a similar boat as you are. Finding the balance of life to write ration is tough. While I'm still struggling to find this balance myself, I've found that writing while I have my morning coffee or breakfast is the easiest way to slip some in while I have some free time. It comes a bit more naturally that way, and the morning quiet is nice to have.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Two bits of advice (that word deserves to have a plural: I have two advices). Neither are as easy to do as they are to state.

First, finish something. Two drafted novels are two unfinished songs, two incomplete paintings, a partial PhD. There is a ton to learn from the process of finishing, which means all the way through to published. All the steps, all the stumbles. But knowing that you know how to finish is in itself powerful motivation for every project thereafter. Decide to finish that first novel and push all other projects to the back of the desk.

Second, take the advice others offer and get something done every day. The goal is to make writing (includes editing, formatting, writing blurbs, etc.) into a habit, one that is embedded so deeply, you start to itch if you skip over too many days. At first, you will rely on aids for this--setting reminders, doing the calendar mark-off, reporting your work to others ... it may take some time to figure out what works for you. I wouldn't even worry about word count or other such measures. It's forming the habit that is the basis for all else.