• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Hello, from Eijem

Ky2015

Acolyte
Hi everybody.

I began the process of worldbuilding a few months ago. It has been inspired, of course, by the great world builders of our age. Tolkien to Paolini... I really admire the work people put into building complex societies. Being a bit of a nerd, I set out to create my own story. I wrote a creation myth based on the goddess Ky (said like kite without the t) and her 5 children. I'm sure the details will get posted around here soon.

I decided last weekend that my friends, being supportive but not experts, weren't the audience I needed to be directing my world building questions to. I did a quick internet search, and now I'm here!

My background. I'm a musician by trade. I'm going to grad school for opera singing in the fall, actually. So, writing isn't really my "life". I have been building this world on the side, and I'm not approaching this from a standpoint of "let's get published!" Rather, I just want to enjoy the ride and create a complex, rich world with fantastic stories to share with my friends, family, and you guys. haha.

As I say in my profile, this is a labor of love. Something better to do than mindlessly browse Reddit for days on end.

In fact, the world building has made a positive impact on my life. Not to be emotional about it... but, writing with a purpose has led me to clean my once monstrously dirty apartment, I'm getting good exercise, and I'm even eating better. I don't know how much is directly tied to the writing and how much is tied to my newfound work ethic, but they are certainly related.

I'll stop blabbering now. If you guys have any questions, I'll be sticking around here! It's nice to meet you all and I hope to see you around the forums.

-Ky

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Hail and well met Ky2015
I'm in it for the ride too.
Share what you know and learn what you need.
Maybe we need to start a fitness sub forum...:rolleyes:
Writing has helped me get sorted somewhat, but not tidy my home, that is as chaotic as it ever was...
See you on the flip side...

Folderol

Scribe
Hello, Ky --

How way cool to be an opera singer! I hope I get to hear you someday.

I love that world-building helped you clean your apartment. If you can, tell me more specifically what it was that triggered the motivation. I'd like to plant it in my brain and see what happens. For example, did you feel the need to move while you were thinking? Or were you writing about a beautiful place and you suddenly felt guilty? Do tell.

It's so great that you're here, have fun looking around.

Ky2015

Acolyte
I was thinking about ideas and how amazing the world was that I was creating.

And, I realized that I was not approaching my story with the integrity it deserves.. it was escapism from the crap that I was living in. While escapism has its purpose (as readers and authors, we must know this), I knew that I could be a better person if I didn't make my job harder for me. ;)

So, I cleaned. One obstacle down.

Folderol

Scribe
Excellent. I'm on the long road to self-improvement, too. And I can't seem to see the end of it.

So is Eijem your world? How grand to go all the way back to the creation myth. Very thorough of you! Here's to giving it the integrity it deserves...I hope I get to read the book someday. ;)