• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Hello from Melbourne, Australia!

BAStubbs

Hi all,

I'm Brett A. Stubbs, an aspiring fantasy author. Midway through last year, I realised I've always been writing and asked myself, "Why don't I really make a go of this? I reckon I could make a living off it one day..." Well, I started dreaming of success and writing furiously. I've never looked back.

So here's where I am... I've written and edited a 217k word epic fantasy novel, inspired by the likes of Robin Hobb (good dialogue) and Brent Weeks (fast pace). Aware that such a big first book limits my publishing options, I've started on a 70k word YA spec. fiction, which is ~1/3 complete (60% through first draft).

Very soon, I'm going to have two books but no audience! This isn't good, so I'm starting to join places like Mythic so I can learn new ideas, share my work and follow other people's experiences. I've also started a blog to record my journey and share useful tips with other aspiring authors.

Anyway, I think that's enough to begin with. See you around!

-Brett

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Hail and well met BAStubbs
Good to have you here.
Hope you find MS as helpful as I do.
I like my novel like I like my [insert personal object of desire], EPIC!

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
Welcome to our community!

This certainly is a great forum for people who really want to make a go of being professional writers. We've got all experience levels within our group, and there's always someone who's walked the path before you...and can give some insight and personal experience to help you find your own path.

YA is a huge thing right now. I'm not sure whether you have contacted any agents or done a lot of research regarding what's selling today, but most of the agents I've contacted are all looking for new, interesting YA. So that's a great move for breaking into the fiction market.

Hope you find the support you need here, and best wishes!