• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Hello, I'm Piper :)

Piper

Hey guys! I think it's so cool that there's a forum just for fantasy readers and writers. I haven't read or written a terrible lot of fantasy, but I just got a story idea for that genre and I was hoping you guys could help me out a little. Maybe you could suggest good books to read to get into the genre? I've read LOTR, The Hobbit, part of Eragon, Harry Potter (I'm not sure if everyone counts this as fantasy, but I do), some Percy Jackson, Narnia, and a few short fantasy stories by George MacDonald.

About me: I'm about to start my second year of college. I used to be in the nursing program, but I left because I realized that I am in no way, shape, or form a science person. I'm in the English program now. Currently, I'm working a very friendly but very boring summer job, which is why I have time to surf the internet and join forums. :)

My real name is not Piper, but that's my character's name in a Marvel RPG I'm currently playing. The other PCs have taken to calling my name very loudly whenever my character gets into trouble or is about to do something stupid. They do it to me at work now. "PIPERRRRRRR!!!!!"

I like to poke fun at tropes no matter what I'm writing, so if you'd like to suggest any fantasy cliches, that'd be awesome as well. :)

It's great to meet you all!

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
Hello fellow second year of college goer!

From my experience this community is very fun, helpful and usually you will receive a good amount of creative feedback. For good books to read, I would go straight to the "novels & stories" section and ask for the particular type of story you like. I am sure you will have a great time here. If not, you get your money back ;)

Hey guys! I think it's so cool that there's a forum just for fantasy readers and writers. I haven't read or written a terrible lot of fantasy, but I just got a story idea for that genre and I was hoping you guys could help me out a little. Maybe you could suggest good books to read to get into the genre? I've read LOTR, The Hobbit, part of Eragon, Harry Potter (I'm not sure if everyone counts this as fantasy, but I do), some Percy Jackson, Narnia, and a few short fantasy stories by George MacDonald.

About me: I'm about to start my second year of college. I used to be in the nursing program, but I left because I realized that I am in no way, shape, or form a science person. I'm in the English program now. Currently, I'm working a very friendly but very boring summer job, which is why I have time to surf the internet and join forums. :)

My real name is not Piper, but that's my character's name in a Marvel RPG I'm currently playing. The other PCs have taken to calling my name very loudly whenever my character gets into trouble or is about to do something stupid. They do it to me at work now. "PIPERRRRRRR!!!!!"

I like to poke fun at tropes no matter what I'm writing, so if you'd like to suggest any fantasy cliches, that'd be awesome as well. :)

It's great to meet you all!

Hi! Nice to have you here! You can call me Dragon or DA. As is probably obvious, I love dragons. I'm not even in college yet, and quite frankly have no idea what i want to do with my life, other than write books. We will all be glad to help you out with writing as much as we can. As for book recommendations--if you want to write fantasy, read lots of fantasy, but also read lots of other genres. I especially would recommend historical fiction for a fantasy writer. Search fantasy on goodreads and see if you can find anything that catches your eye. ;)

If you want critique on your writing, you can post in Showcase. ;)

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
Hello Piper!

This is a great community for the beginning writer or the seasoned veteran. We've got folks at every age range and skill level, and the door's always open to those who want to learn or share, or just socialize.

If you haven't checked it out yet, we have a pretty neat place where you can ask writing questions or just read some of our current threads (might help you solidify some ideas). And if you're the procrastinating type (of which I certainly am...see, I'm supposed to be writing for nano camp right now, but i've been here for two hours), check out our Challenges.

We've got a little for everyone, and it's easiest to just jump right in. :)

We're a friendly lot.